Me'z Gettin Tried of Dez FF Buggies

The battleground for flame wars, off-topic derailments and spurious madness.
therube
Ambassador

Me'z Gettin Tried of Dez FF Buggies

Post by therube »

Me'z Gettin Tried of Dez FF 4, 5, 6, 7 ... Buggies.
They ought to just jump to Firefox 99 or Firefox 666 or Firefox 999 & be done with all these boastful numbers.

Hell, with all the incarnations now, they're worse then SeaMonkey :lol:.

Must play havoc with Addons developers ;-).
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball NoScript FlashGot AdblockPlus
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:2.0.1) Gecko/20110511 Firefox/4.0.1 SeaMonkey/2.1
Alan Baxter
Ambassador

Re: Me'z Gettin Tried of Dez FF Buggies

Post by Alan Baxter »

therube wrote:Me'z Gettin Tried of Dez FF 4, 5, 6, 7 ... Buggies.
They ought to just jump to Firefox 99 or Firefox 666 or Firefox 999 & be done with all these boastful numbers.
Might as well jump right to 99 right now. Even with rapid releases it will take about eleven years to get there otherwise. But seriously, a number is just a number. Who cares? I sure don't.
Must play havoc with Addons developers ;-).
Nah, since the difference between versions will usually be relatively minor, most if not all extensions that are compatible with Fx 4.0 will still work in the newer versions. AMO will run automated tests to verify that and automatically bump any extensions that don't need to be modified. For those cases where the extension needs modification, the developer will be notified by AMO and have six to twelve weeks to make the necessary mods, which should be relatively minor.
Add-on Compatibility & Rapid Releases

I'm looking forward to the change. It should work better than the previous major release system.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:2.0.1) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/4.0.1
therube
Ambassador

Post by therube »

You think?
I hope it works out that way, but I would think it would be a PITA for all involved - the end user too.

In the past if FF3.6 was out & FF4 was in testing, I might dabble to see...
But now, with FF4 "just" out & already FF5 & FF6 people are running, I think, what the heck.

I've kind of stopped even looking at posts that appear to be FF "6" related as I haven't a clue as to what they (the browser) might be & have no desire to even look to see.

(Not to mention that Gecko number/release number/ comparing that to other browsers [SeaMonkey] & their "numbers" & the names "Minefield" or whatnot, confuse me to no end.)
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball NoScript FlashGot AdblockPlus
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:2.0.1) Gecko/20110511 Firefox/4.0.1 SeaMonkey/2.1
Alan Baxter
Ambassador

Post by Alan Baxter »

therube wrote:You think?
I'm sure Mozilla has put a lot more thought into it than you or I would care to, and they may just be as smart as us too. We'll see.
I hope it works out that way, but I would think it would be a PITA for all involved - the end user too.
It may work out easier for most end users. The changes released every six weeks will usually be small enough that many users won't even notice them (or care much about them if the do notice), unlike the traditional fiasco that has take place in the Firefox support forums every time there has been a major release in the past. If the user is using any extensions -- the majority of users don't -- most if not all of their extensions will already be compatible before Firefox is updated. If I recall correctly, Firefox will eventually be using silent, automatic updates by default, which will relieve the ordinary user from having to deal with a popup for each update.
In the past if FF3.6 was out & FF4 was in testing, I might dabble to see...
Me too, but most of my extensions weren't compatible with the betas, so I didn't do any serious browsing or testing with the betas.
But now, with FF4 "just" out & already FF5 & FF6 people are running, I think, what the heck.
Fx 5.0a2 is the current Fx 5.0 development and testing branch. I've looked at it, but that's all. I don't see much difference. Fx 5.0 will be merged into the Beta channel for QA on May 17 and be released to beta testers once it passes QA.

Since most if not all of my Fx 4.0 extensions will still work in Fx 5.0 beta, I'll probably switch over to using it as my main browser.
I've kind of stopped even looking at posts that appear to be FF "6" related as I haven't a clue as to what they (the browser) might be
Fx 6.0a1 is just the nightly trunk builds, formerly called Minefield. Nothing to see here. Move along.
therube
Ambassador

Post by therube »

The changes released every six weeks will usually be small enough that many users won't even notice them (or care much about them if the do notice)
Like 'where did my NoScript icon go' or 'where did my status bar go', for that matter ;-).
Alan Baxter
Ambassador

Post by Alan Baxter »

therube wrote: Like 'where did my NoScript icon go' or 'where did my status bar go', for that matter ;-).
Right, I think that's much less likely to happen with each new release from now on. We'll see.

Supporting the change to NoScript 3 may be interesting though.