URL shortened links to malcode a threat

Talk about internet security, computer security, personal security, your social security number...
luntrus

URL shortened links to malcode a threat

Post by luntrus »

Hi forum friends,

A new security add-on to add to your security arsenal, see: http://longurl.org/ - install from: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/9549

Kaspersky's : "Krab Krawler"-tool detected a hundred to thousand shortened URL's daily that linked to malware-sites, this comes down to 1 per 500 placed links: URL-shorteners like Bit.ly and Tr.im, are widely popular on the microblogging service sites, but a browser user cannot see where they lead to. So tweet and treat is the name of the game here, alas we have NS so we are secure I assume...

But a raw 26% of all Twitter messages have a link on them. Half of these links is spammer generated or comes from malcreants. The links that are crawled by Krab Krawler every two and twelve hours are added to their security software signatures. All social networks should be scanned for this. But with the firefox add-on you have it in your own hands...not to go to malware re-directs...

luntrus
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US) AppleWebKit/532.0 (KHTML, like Gecko) Iron/3.0.197.0 Safari/532.0
Tom T.
Field Marshal

Re: URL shortened links to malcode a threat

Post by Tom T. »

Or not to participate in Twitter.... :D
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.20) Gecko/20081217 Firefox/2.0.0.20
computerfreaker

Re: URL shortened links to malcode a threat

Post by computerfreaker »

Tom T. wrote:Or not to participate in Twitter.... :D
Right. I don't have a Twitter account, a Facebook account, a GMail account, etc. etc. etc., so I'm automatically safe from the viruses that hit these things... others might do well to drop the social sites, since they're so virus-laden.
With great power comes great responsibility.
Learn something new every day, and the rest will take care of itself.
Life is a journey, not a destination. Enjoy the trip!
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.4) Gecko/20091016 Firefox/3.5.4