Is it possible to trust a site and everything it loads, without trusting those sites if other pages load them?

Ask for help about NoScript, no registration needed to post
Nodrance

Is it possible to trust a site and everything it loads, without trusting those sites if other pages load them?

Post by Nodrance »

What I want is essentially a button to "supertrust" a site, where the entire website, as well as any scripts it loads, and any scripts those load, are trusted. However, those same scripts/sites aren't trusted on other websites. The specific usecase for this is I want to enable all tracking ads on one specific website (because I want that website to make more revenue and don't care about being tracked to that one site), without enabling them globally, and without setting each one to custom/enable scripts (they often switch which ad providers they use, and I don't want to have to update my configs every time i visit the site)
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:121.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/121.0
barbaz

Re: Is it possible to trust a site and everything it loads, without trusting those sites if other pages load them?

Post by barbaz »

There is no way to do this in NoScript. NoScript is a security tool, and from a security perspective, such "supertrusting" is a bad idea - https://classic.noscript.net/faq#compromised_trusted
For this reason, when allowing ad providers' active content, sticking to an allow-list approach helps protect against malvertising.

The closest you can get is to use "Disable restrictions for this tab" whenever you visit that site. If you do that I would recommend using uBlock Origin alongside NoScript, so that if some other site gets loaded in that tab, you won't be completely unprotected. You can configure uBlock Origin to be disabled on the site whose tracking ads you want to allow.
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:121.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/121.0
Nodrance

Re: Is it possible to trust a site and everything it loads, without trusting those sites if other pages load them?

Post by Nodrance »

I disagree with your assessment. Any code a website sends me, even if it comes from another server, is code that is trusted by that website, and that that website is responsible for. If there ever comes a time when my browser is compromised by code served to me by a website, then I can sue that website.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:121.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/121.0
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

In that case, NoScript's permission management is not the right tool for you, as its design is ill-suited to your security model, sorry.

Post by Guest »

have your tried, not acting so, "creepy"???
Mozilla/5.0 (Android 11; Mobile; rv:121.0) Gecko/121.0 Firefox/121.0
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

Guest wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:36 pm have your tried, not acting so, "creepy"???
Since you didn't quote what you're replying to, and your use of quote marks around "creepy" indicates you don't have the dictionary definition of creepy in mind, it's not possible for anyone to have any idea what you're talking about.