How to troubleshoot intermittent randomly blocking allowed media?

Ask for help about NoScript, no registration needed to post
barbaz

How to troubleshoot intermittent randomly blocking allowed media?

Post by barbaz »

While browsing media on Soundcloud today, I noticed that randomly some tracks would not play. The playback position indicator would rush through the track and no audio was playing. Getting it working required reloading the page several times.

Happened to look in the Terminal after this happened in a browser session, and noticed a lot of repeats of this -

Code: Select all

JavaScript error: moz-extension://XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX/nscl/content/media.js, line 127: Error: audio/mp4; codecs="mp3" (MSE) blocked by NoScript
Huh? My NoScript permissions are set to allow Soundcloud media. Why would NoScript sometimes block it? Image

Given that this is intermittent and seems random, and that NoScript does not have a "logger", how can I further troubleshoot what's going on here next time it happens?

NoScript 11.4.27rc3, Firefox 117.0.1
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/117.0
therube
Ambassador

Re: How to troubleshoot intermittent randomly blocking allowed media?

Post by therube »

Maybe this has some meaning, "// throwing may cause src not to be assigned at all:" ?

Anyhow, you could throw some debugging code into media.js & that might point out what is going on?
And of course, you'd have to do that in a FF Nightly (or where ever an unsigned extension might be allowed).

(And of course, I'm only "saying" this in the same way that "throwing may..." - IOW, not a clue what I'm saying ;-).)

(And while the message does says, & media.js agrees that this is NoScript, the GUID (...3232) is in fact, NoScript [as opposed to some other extension using the same output messsage]?)
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball NoScript FlashGot AdblockPlus
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:102.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/102.0
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

therube wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 6:56 pm you could throw some debugging code into media.js & that might point out what is going on?
I have no idea what debugging code to add or even what to have debugging code look for there?
therube wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 6:56 pm (And while the message does says, & media.js agrees that this is NoScript, the GUID (...3232) is in fact, NoScript [as opposed to some other extension using the same output messsage]?)
The X'd out GUID was the one at about:debugging > This Firefox > NoScript, "Internal UUID"
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/118.0
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

barbaz wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 12:30 am My NoScript permissions are set to allow Soundcloud media.
Hmm, maybe just something has changed that my allows for Soundcloud media are sometimes no longer sufficient?

Previously, only sndcdn.com needed "media" permission for Soundcloud audio to play. Hit this issue again, and this time NoScript popup showed blocked "media" for soundcloud.com on the affected page. So tried allowing that, but after the page reloaded & the audio played, the NoScript popup didn't highlight the "media" checkbox for soundcloud.com again?

Well, that seems consistent with the issue being random/intermittent, so going to try keeping the "media" permission enabled for soundcloud.com & see if that fixes it Image
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/118.0