Userstyles.org - client-side exception

Ask for help about NoScript, no registration needed to post
pjk

Userstyles.org - client-side exception

Post by pjk »

I block JS on all Google domains by default.

Obviously sometimes there is functionality on a page that doesn't work for that reason, and I can selectively enable it if necessary.

But today when I went to userstyles.org and entered something in their search box, the whole page crashed to a black screen.

Code: Select all

"Application error: a client-side exception has occurred (see the browser console for more information)."

Any way around this other than enabling a bunch of snoopery Google junk?

Using Vivaldi on macOS at the moment.

From the console:

Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_14_6) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/100.0.4896.162 Safari/537.36
barbaz

Re: Userstyles.org - client-side exception

Post by barbaz »

What makes you think this has anything to do with NoScript?
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-
pjk

Post by pjk »

Because I've used that site before with no problem, and most of the console errors referenced missing "blocked" elements from domains I'm blocking JS from. And since many sites assume that everyone allows JS from Google to run, I figure that's a good place to start, based on past experience. (I tried temporarily allowing Google and some other domains but that didn't help)

Web searches suggest a JS error (which comes as no surprise) but I do not understand JS in detail as I'm not a coder. (Simple scripting is about my extent of 'programming') The "answers" I found were all along the lines of: "It's a browser error" or "It's a site error" or maybe it had to do with extensions.

Can you look at that console output and even guess where to look? Or does one actually need to go through the JS code on the site to make any sense of it? Error messages advising people to look at the console suggests that looking at the console will help people troubleshoot it, no?

Thanks
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_14_6) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/100.0.4896.162 Safari/537.36
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

pjk wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 2:49 am Can you look at that console output and even guess where to look?
I would guess the relevant messages are the "ReferenceError: google is not defined" which IIRC means the site wants scripts from 2mdn.net. Also notice how those messages are what comes immediately before the "A client-side exception has occurred" messages in the console.

Do you get 2mdn.net listed in the NoScript popup on that site?

Do you use uBlock Origin? If not, maybe it would help?
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-