YouTube not playing unless NS disabled

Ask for help about NoScript, no registration needed to post
kukla

YouTube not playing unless NS disabled

Post by kukla »

Running 11.4.11rc2/Firefox 102.4 esr/Mac Desktop

Title says it all.

Also, white on black not my cup of tea. For me, makes it VERY difficult to read. How to revert to "standard" black text on white? Might have missed it, but looked everywhere - not seeing anything.
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.13; rv:102.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/102.0
therube
Ambassador

Re: YouTube not playing unless NS disabled

Post by therube »

Incredible. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8QyKwwZUp4

No issue on my end (Win7), with the only thing allowed being youtube.com.

Your "lock" icon is red (& open, rather then green & closed - as it is on my end.
Does that mean ? something like maybe your antivirus is injecting itself, interfering?
Or some other extension?

If you disable all other extensions, do things work?
If you test in a new, clean Profile, with only NoScript installed, do things work?

> white on black not my cup of tea

You can change look, somewhat, in NoScript Options -> Appearance.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball NoScript FlashGot AdblockPlus
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:108.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/108.0
kukla

Post by kukla »

Your "lock" icon is red (& open, rather then green & closed - as it is on my end.
Does that mean ? something like maybe your antivirus is injecting itself, interfering?
Or some other extension?
No idea why that is or if it means anything at all for this issue.
If you disable all other extensions, do things work?
If you test in a new, clean Profile, with only NoScript installed, do things work?
Disabled all other extensions besides NS. Makes no difference. Not yet ready to test in new profile.

As for board appearance, that pref is in user control panel -> global settings -> board style. Changed back to Pro Silver, which I never changed from. However, only lasts as long as I stay logged in.

Also wonder why I'm no longer seeing my User Agent.
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.13; rv:102.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/102.0
therube
Ambassador

Post by therube »

As for board appearance, that pref is in user control panel -> global settings -> board style. Changed back to Pro Silver, which I never changed from. However, only lasts as long as I stay logged in.
Heh.
I thought you were talking about NoScript ;-).

And you're absolutely right about the board, viewtopic.php?p=106184#p106184.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball NoScript FlashGot AdblockPlus
kukla

Post by kukla »

Have never understood the appeal of dark/black themes. Supposed to look cool, I suppose.

Anyway, will be using Brave for YouTube for the time being, until this gets resolved.
kukla

Post by kukla »

Update: enabled NS (11.4.6) in Brave, where YT plays just fine. Next, installed the 11.4.11 (latest non-release candidate version) in Firefox, but YT still no dice with NS enabled. Next, installed the 11.4.6, which works just fine in Brave. But still no dice for YT.

Next up will try new empty profile...I suppose.

EDIT: Works properly in new profile. However, since I seldom go to YT, and restoring all my current data, extensions, CSS, you name it, to a new profile will involve too much work, not going to do this. Will just continue to use Brave (with NS enabled or not) on the rare occasion when I need YT.
therube
Ambassador

Post by therube »

You could try a (Noscript | Options) Reset & see if that changes anything?

(Backup first, including Export, should you want to not lose existing settings.)
kukla

Post by kukla »

The reset was the fix, thanks.

Btw, realized that, even if I needed to disable NS to play YT videos, I have both Privacy Badger and Malwarebytes Browser Guard, both of which block the offending doubleclick scripts. Effectively what NS enabled appears to accomplish in this situation.

EDIT: actually, unless someone thinks this would be a mistake, may just continue disabling NS when visitng YouTube, as the reset means losing and then re-establishing all the many permissions set for various sites over the years.
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

Youtube video playing works for me with NoScript 11.4.13rc2 (and with stricter permissions for Youtube than your screenshot shows). How have you configured your TRUSTED preset? (NoScript Options > General)
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-
kukla

Post by kukla »

As mentioned earlier, the reset fixed this issue. YT plays immediately now. And have since set doubleclick to Untrusted instead of Default - your "stricter permissions?" Everything else as in earlier screenshot above. Should google permissions be more fine grained than just Trusted?

One other issue while I have your attention: I use uBO in advanced mode to help set permissions. usually unambiguous, but sometimes a domain will appear in the yellow column with both plus and minus. Then no idea whether to trust or not. Also sometimes uBO will show the same domain, e.g., bing.com as either plus or minus.
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

Sorry, I somehow got the mistaken impression that you were resetting NoScript in a semi-disposable environment as a workaround while waiting to troubleshoot & fix your main NoScript config Image
kukla wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 3:10 pm your "stricter permissions?"
www.youtube.com and googlevideo.com Trusted
youtube.com Default
doubleclick.net and jnn-pa.googleapis.com Untrusted
(google.com and gstatic.com allowed in NoScript, but blocked in uBlock Origin)
All Trusted entries have the lock set for only matching HTTPS versions of those sites
kukla wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 3:10 pm Should google permissions be more fine grained than just Trusted?
What Youtube functionality other than watching videos do you need?

My setup for Youtube is known to break some things, e.g. comments, part of the display of the video page (not affecting the video itself), and probably also Google account sign-in.
kukla wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 3:10 pm One other issue while I have your attention: I use uBO in advanced mode to help set permissions. usually unambiguous, but sometimes a domain will appear in the yellow column with both plus and minus. Then no idea whether to trust or not.
When I see this I look in Netmon and/or uBlock Origin logger to see full URLs.
-
kukla

Post by kukla »

kukla wrote: ↑Sun Nov 20, 2022 10:10 am
One other issue while I have your attention: I use uBO in advanced mode to help set permissions. usually unambiguous, but sometimes a domain will appear in the yellow column with both plus and minus. Then no idea whether to trust or not.
barbaz wrote:When I see this I look in Netmon and/or uBlock Origin logger to see full URLs.
Thanks, but not sure I understand what you are looking for in the full URLs to determine whether to allow or not. For one particular YT video Netmon shows close to a hundred.
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

kukla wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 9:22 pm Thanks, but not sure I understand what you are looking for in the full URLs to determine whether to allow or not.
I guess I'm making educated guesses based partially on my experience working with ABP filters and uBlock Origin static filters. If you understand the filter syntax, read (at least parts of) the uBlock Origin lists you're subscribed to and look at the logger sometimes, you'll eventually recognize patterns here too - and your pattern recognition will be tuned for your filtering preferences.

Note that this doesn't completely eliminate trial-and-error. Even what can be discerned this way is not a perfect science. But it still reduces the amount of trial-and-error in most cases.
-
kukla

Post by kukla »

Thanks, as always.