Noscript breaks World of Tanks (and possible other) web sites

Ask for help about NoScript, no registration needed to post
TalonKarrde

Noscript breaks World of Tanks (and possible other) web sites

Post by TalonKarrde »

Hello,

for quite some time now login from Firefox w NoScript to the World of Tanks game web site (and its shop) has been abysmally slow (needing several minutes) while login from Chrome or FF w/o NoScripot works fast and smoothely.

Now it has stopped working alltoether.

I have all web sites I can see on worldoftanks.com on status trusted. Also a few other related ones like wgcdn.co and wargaming.net.

Just clicking "Disable restrictions globally" has no effect - problem not solved.
Disabling the noscript addon fixes the problem.
Accessing the web site from chrome without NoScript also works fine.

I use Firefox 99.0 64 bit with NoScript 11.4.4 .

Tp reproduce: go to https://worldoftanks.com/, if asked for a region select North America, then click "Log in" in the top right corner.

To see the same in the premium shop on wargaming.net, click premium shop instead and try login from there.

If you want to try w/o noscript, an account there is free.

I also noted similar effects on other web sites (eg the restaurant reservation service opentable.de when called from the restaurant web site yumas.de)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:99.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/99.0
barbaz

Re: Noscript breaks World of Tanks (and possible other) web sites

Post by barbaz »

As a test, does un-checking NoScript Options > Advanced, "Sanitize cross-site suspicious requests" have any effect on the issue?
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-
il_falcone

Post by il_falcone »

barbaz wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 11:59 am As a test, does un-checking NoScript Options > Advanced, "Sanitize cross-site suspicious requests" have any effect on the issue?
No, it doesn't.

trainerroad.com is another site which is affected. Only disabling Noscript works.
Mozilla/5.0 (Android 12; Mobile; rv:98.0) Gecko/98.0 Firefox/98.0
redwolfe_98

Post by redwolfe_98 »

try restoring noscript's default settings and then starting over with trying to sign in to the website, allowing scripting as necessary.

i didn't seem to have any problems with the website or with signing into the website.

i didn't actually create an account there, to log in to, but the webpage for logging in was displayed properly.

Last edited by redwolfe_98 on Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:99.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/99.0
il_falcone

Post by il_falcone »

redwolfe_98 wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 12:44 pm try restoring noscript's default settings and then starting over with trying to sign in to the website, allowing scripting as necessary.

i didn't seem to have any problems with the website or with signing into the website.

i didn't actually create an account there, to log in to, but the webpage for logging in was displayed properly.
By "restoring" you mean resetting NoScript which also deletes all the per-site permissions? I know that I can export those prior to resetting but it's still a PITA.

I'm currently finding more and more websites which don't work anymore. Appears to be related to my last Firefox update to 99.0 and now 99.0.1
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

il_falcone wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 1:42 pm Appears to be related to my last Firefox update to 99.0 and now 99.0.1
So does it work if you downgrade Firefox to the version you had before the update? - https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/
(you may need --allow-downgrade command-line option to use your existing profile with the older Firefox)
-
TalonKarrde

Post by TalonKarrde »

redwolfe_98 wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 12:44 pm try restoring noscript's default settings and then starting over with trying to sign in to the website, allowing scripting as necessary.

Original Poster here. I tried that with a freshly created new firefox profile. As soon as I added Noscript, the problem appeared. Removed it and the problem went away.
redwolfe_98

Post by redwolfe_98 »

i had to allow scripting for "cdn.cookielaw.org" before the webpages would display properly.

maybe you have "cdn.cookielaw.org" blocked, somehow?

check your "hosts" file (c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts).
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

redwolfe_98 wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 9:40 pm check your "hosts" file (c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts).
No point, NoScript does not manipulate the system HOSTS file and both reporters find that the issue goes away when NoScript is disabled.
redwolfe_98 wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 9:40 pm i had to allow scripting for "cdn.cookielaw.org" before the webpages would display properly.
Did it show up in your NoScript popup? or did you have to add it manually in NoScript Options > Per-site Permissions?
-
il_falcone

Post by il_falcone »

I took redwolfe_98's post as an inducement to further investigate. Thanks guys!

It had nothing to do with the hosts file though.

After manually adding cdn.cookielaw.org to the allowed list of NoScript and further adding typekit.net, NoScript started showing usable information. Before that trainerroad.com was not loading and NoScript openend a blank pop-up window. I guess that was mostly a consequence of not having allowed typekit.net before. I assume this site uses only fonts provided by typekit.net? So if NoScript blocks that host there is no further progress when loading that site. Does that make sense?

After adding those two manually to the allowed list of NoScript I could see that trainerroad.com also uses datadome.co, transifex.com, transifex.net which have to be allowed for the site to work properly.

I will post if that strange behavior also appears when using other websites.

I would love to know whether TalonKarrde's problem can also be solved like this.
redwolfe_98

Post by redwolfe_98 »

barbaz wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 10:34 pm
redwolfe_98 wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 9:40 pm i had to allow scripting for "cdn.cookielaw.org" before the webpages would display properly.
Did it show up in your NoScript popup? or did you have to add it manually in NoScript Options > Per-site Permissions?
it showed in noscript.

since you mention it, i had an issue with using noscript, with the chrome browser, where, with one particular webpage, something that i needed to allow scripting for wasn't showing in noscript. that pushed me to going back to using the firefox browser where i didn't experience the same problem.

i didn't think about manually adding the URL to noscript's allow list.

i mentioned the hosts file because i thought that "cdn.cookielaw.org" is something that might be blocked by a hosts file. i have seen things like that in blocklists that are used by "adblock plus" and "ublock origin," before. i added "cdn.cookielaw.org" to my hosts file whitelist. :)
redwolfe_98

Post by redwolfe_98 »

TalonKarrde wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 6:05 pm
Original Poster here. I tried that with a freshly created new firefox profile. As soon as I added Noscript, the problem appeared. Removed it and the problem went away.
i think the person either imported their old, custom noscript-settings, which was the source of the problem, or else, maybe due to impatience, they didn't allow scripting for the URL's that was necessary in order for the webpage to display properly.