Any way to revert graphical change?

Ask for help about NoScript, no registration needed to post
anonuser34

Re: Any way to revert graphical change?

Post by anonuser34 »

Giorgio Maone wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 4:31 pm Anyway, matter of taste.
It is. But, it is terrible on so many levels. Moving towards a childrens theme with a pre-school font for a security focused product. Like.. what the $##$?
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:97.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/97.0
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

Two posts now had to be removed from this thread due to tone.

Yes, I know I predicted in January 2021 this level of negative reaction to the new icons and saw problem with it even on first sight in 2019. I get it. But please keep all feedback & posts within Forum Rules. Thanks.
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-

Post by Guest »

I do not appreciate, nor want to mentally handle, waking up and having something on my dumb version of windows that i really dont like because things dont stop doing things by itself, changing by itself. I don't know how apparently i didn't get the new look since it seems its been around since 2019. I love and appreciate no script now for a solid 10 years of my life. I don't remember ever seeing the icons change.
The icons are now too big.
the icons look to be greyed out but they arent.
the icons changed by itself.
this is a new computer i had to fresh install noscript back in 11/2021 so to see a visual appearance change is extrememly frustrating.
I searched the ssettings for: appearance and it's not adjustable as well as looked in the setting for auto-update which also is missing but seems that noscript auto updated, and auto installed, and auto changed itself WITHOUT MY PERMISSION OR KNOWLEDGE
That is messed up
I do not like what has happened
Please for the love of God put it back
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:93.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/93.0
just another guest

Post by just another guest »

Just another user who'd appreciate something closer to how things were before.
An unexpected change in a hands-on software I've been using for years. Yes that was pretty alarming.
Firefox ESR on Ubuntu MATE, not sure if that matters.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:98.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/98.0
just another guest

Post by just another guest »

just another guest wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 8:34 pm Just another user who'd appreciate something closer to how things were before.
An unexpected change in a hands-on software I've been using for years. Yes that was pretty alarming.
Firefox ESR on Ubuntu MATE, not sure if that matters.
Well, I found the beta version with vintage UI option, it's still not the same. Something about the new icons and the way they highlight and how big they are now...
But thank you very much for considering users being unhappy with the changes and adding an option to accommodate them! I hope things smoothen out in the future.

Sorry for double posting. Couldn't figure how to edit the first post as a guest.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:98.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/98.0
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

Guest wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 5:49 pm noscript auto updated, and auto installed, and auto changed itself WITHOUT MY PERMISSION OR KNOWLEDGE
That is messed up
I do not like what has happened
If you are using Firefox you can decide whether NoScript will auto update.

To toggle automatic updating for all addons: Tools > Add-ons & Themes > gear icon, un-check "Update Add-ons Automatically"

To toggle automatic updating for only NoScript: Tools > Add-ons & Themes, click NoScript, set "Allow automatic updates" (where Default means use the global setting)

Also, just to note, Firefox users can still get NoScript 11.3.7 (last version with old UI) from official source: https://secure.informaction.com/downloa ... 11.3.7.xpi
But, if you go this route please treat it as only TEMPORARY measure. I don't recommend staying on old NoScript versions long term, and we cannot fully support old NoScript versions.
-
noscript_user_001

Post by noscript_user_001 »

Thank you for adding support for the “blue vintage” look in the future versions. I am guessing that would be pushed to a stable release at some point. NoScript for me makes the modern web actually browsable. I can’t imagine myself not using this tool. After using it for such a long time, being without it is like going out naked.

The new theme does look clean but gets in the way of conveying information. The spacing between entries is too large in the cases were the list gets long. Also, the colors were very important to quickly operate NoScript. The way I am operating now is based on relative icon placements and not what they look like. When this change hit at first, I needed to carefully read the tooltips to make sure what I think I am seeing is what the icon stands for.

As far as the logo goes, I think it underscores the audience this tool was intended for. I expect power users and security conscious people to use it. Those people who like to tinker and do not mind browsing most of the internet with JavaScript off. The types who close sites that display a blank page without implementing a <noscript> tag.

I tried recommending this to friends and family members and it is just not the tool for them. The new design seems to target a casual user. The old one was so much better and gave this tool quite a serious professional image. This new logo looks very sad and like it is about to cry. I don't even see a fanged snake anymore but a worm waiting to be plucked by a bird. The old logo just represented the reality a bit more.

However, I took the time to read the report on this new design from Simply Secure to understand their justifications and recommendations. Some of the feedback is great but a lot of it felt like they missed the point of NoScript. Their new design doesn’t inspire making me feel more secure but quite the opposite. When I went to the noscript.net I thought it was defaced, or I typed something wrong. When the new theme rolled in it felt like a prank. The overall analysis of Simply Secure was like bashing developer tools in chrome or firefox for being overly complex and require messing about. I was just left confused.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:98.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/98.0

Post by Guest »

What do I do with the .xpi file I downloaded? I'm using Chrome. ???
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/99.0.4844.82 Safari/537.36
DiffyQ

Post by DiffyQ »

Long time user, I saw the graphics changes and immediately expected to see a forum thread topic about it. One search later here I am! Like others, I want to start by saying I am extremely appreciative of all the work the development team has put into NoScript. I should also be up front that I am fully bought in to NoScript, and I'm not going to pretend like I'm going to stop using it because of these changes.

That said, I don't much care for them, and I want to echo some of the concerns that have already been raised: the empty space, the contrast, the larger button and font size, and the new logo.

First, I love the new dark mode. But that said, I find it very difficult to see the site settings buttons with the red/gray on black scheme. The crimson box around the selected option is essentially invisible to my eyes.

With respect to button sizes, my usage pattern for NoScript is to set the site settings one at a time, and I rarely use the universal permissions buttons. Given that, it's not helpful that they have become relatively larger than the site settings buttons. This might also be because the "dividing line" between the heading buttons (settings, universal options) and the site settings list is not really visible in dark mode. These buttons are therefore not set off from the rest.

With respect to the site buttons, I think they look and work great on sites with 1-4 scripts, like this one. For sites with a huge number of scripts, like news sites, for example, the new interface is much more difficult to use. The larger font and buttons makes the menu long enough that I can't look for the relevant scripts to unblock "at a glance", and it becomes more of a hunt. Again though, I admit this feeling might be confounded by the contrast issue.

I think it's great that steps are being taken to address accessibility, but I wish it were addressed via additional settings, like font and button size options. I've been around the internet long enough to know that one-size fits all is a pipe dream...

Finally, I want to agree with others on the new snake/worm logo. It's very depressing, like the Ghostbusters logo is starving in a gulag.
aichforest

Post by aichforest »

As some others guests wrote: The new design is, that is my personal opinion, worse than before.
I would like the old graphics back.
I am a longtime user of Noscript and until now very satisfied with this add-on.
whaleya

Post by whaleya »

On the other hand the new graphics remind me of the old faithful Comic Sans font.....

I also vote to revert the font/colors/spacing to the old style, for all the reasons others have mentioned.

-W
kukla

Post by kukla »

Seems the latest 11.4.1 rc5 theme set to light/blue (Firefox) should now be usable. Certainly light years better than the first one. Think I can live with this one. Thanks Giorgio.

https://i.postimg.cc/Bv0GBGth/No-Script ... t-blue.png
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:90.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/90.0
therube
Ambassador

Post by therube »

rc4 vs. rc5 (in Vintage Blue mode)

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball NoScript FlashGot AdblockPlus
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:68.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/68.0 SeaMonkey/2.53.12
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

barbaz wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 1:38 pm 2) When using Vintage Blue icon theme, the icons in the top bar of the popup are smaller than they were in NoScript 11.3.7. Would it be possible to restore them to the larger 11.3.7 size?
FIxed in 11.4.1rc5, thanks!

Unfortunately there is now another issue. With theme set to Auto, the dark variant of Vintage icons is always used even if system theme is a light theme. Getting the normal Vintage icons requires explicitly selecting Light theme.
-
musonius
Master Bug Buster

Post by musonius »

barbaz wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 3:06 pm With theme set to Auto, the dark variant of Vintage icons is always used even if system theme is a light theme. Getting the normal Vintage icons requires explicitly selecting Light theme.
Yes indeed.

Also, at least for the vintage theme, I think reverting the gradient would be welcome for those who still prefer the familiar look.