how to know which link tot trust

General discussion about the NoScript extension for Firefox
solquest

how to know which link tot trust

Post by solquest »

Hello.

I'm very new to NoScript add-on and I find it really useful.
I have one question: on some websites I see dozens of link blocked...if I want to enable some part of a website (for example a video playing), is there a way for knowing which link to trust?

Thanks.
Luigi.
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.15; rv:96.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/96.0
barbaz

Re: how to know which link tot trust

Post by barbaz »

At some point it becomes just trial-and-error. But you can reduce the amount of trial-and-error.

You can rule out some sites - viewtopic.php?p=75314#p75314
(Although now I would suggest uBlock Origin instead of ABP, but I don't know how to efficiently search through all installed lists at once in uBlock Origin.)

And as you get experience figuring out which of the remaining sites to allow, you will learn over time which sites are common CDNs, and you can start trying those first (or permanently allow them if you decide you trust them), which saves time in most cases.
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-
gorhill

Re: how to know which link tot trust

Post by gorhill »

barbaz wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 2:33 pmI don't know how to efficiently search through all installed lists at once in uBlock Origin.
Searching in filter lists seem to be a needless over-complication. Just look at the overview pane in the popup panel to find out what domains/hostnames uBO wholly block -- this gives a good hint at what is probably unnecessary to trust in NoScript (and if it comes to this, then I would question why not just using uBO's own default-deny mode to control script execution which rules are set through the same overview pane).
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:100.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/100.0