5.0.1 problem with BBC site streaming

Ask for help about NoScript, no registration needed to post
bwallum

5.0.1 problem with BBC site streaming

Post by bwallum »

I have a problem running NoScript 5.0.1 with BBC iPlayer and live TV streaming. I have a licence. My set up is:-

Ubuntu 16.10 AMD 64bit Desktop
Firefox 52.0 64bit

I get a "This content doesn't seem to be working" warning and when I right click on the screen I get the following pop up:-
----------------
unknown bitrate | dash (akamai_dash_live) | bbc_two_engla...
Error:4999
----------------

If I "Allow scripts globally" the content displays and runs fine. I have tried 'temporarily allow' ing all scripts shown as blocked but that does not allow the content to run and the pop up window appears as above.

All worked as expected before 5.0.1
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/52.0
therube
Ambassador

Re: 5.0.1 problem with BBC site streaming

Post by therube »

Don't know if anything here relates or not, Firefox 52 & BBC radio iPlayer ?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball NoScript FlashGot AdblockPlus
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:49.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/49.0 SeaMonkey/2.46 Lightning/.4.46

Post by Guest »

My problem is much the same as the OP. When I navigate to a BBC program on the website (in this case, one that has already been broadcast, so it is not a live stream), the content will not play. I get the message, "This content doesn't seem to be working," and the player widget claims the clip is 5 seconds when it is really 5 minutes.

I have all the scripts allowed in NoScript (so I see a white circle with blue S).

But if I select "Allow Scripts Globally," the player works as expected.

If I turn off "Allow Scripts Globally," it goes back to its previous behavior.

Using FF 52.0 with NS 5.0.1 under Win7.

Maybe there's an interaction between NoScript and the reported problem with FF 52, but the fact that it works with scripts allowed globally and not with all the individual script sources allowed makes me wonder.

Example URL (good for about 6 days): http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p04vlq28
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/52.0

Post by Guest »

Same Guest as above... Well, it isn't consistent. Sometimes with "Allow Scripts Globally," it doesn't work--it behaves the same way as without. But so far, I haven't been able to get it to work at all with just the individual scripts allowed.

Maybe that's evidence that it's a FF problem, not NS?
Kris

Post by Kris »

Hi there,

You might have a similar issue there as I had, and partially still have. viewtopic.php?f=7&t=22620&p=87146#p87146
You could try if a similar workaround as I found works for you and you'll know, look if under "recently blocked" there's a domain belonging to the BBC site, for streaming the videos and
allow it. If it then works, you have the same/similar issue. It is already resolved for the major part with the latest development build of noscript. (which you can also find in that thread).

Best regards,
Kris
Kris

Post by Kris »

PS: Aditionally I just now tested whether "globally allowing" has the same effect as you had on the BBC website, in the example where I encountered it again now and yes, it does make the site work, and enables the video to be played. So it might indeed be the similar bug/issue you've got there.
(after globally allowing scripts the googlevideo.com domain however still isn't showing up in the NS roll down list of domains to be (temp.) allowed or blocked, even though it's obviously been allowed by that action).
therube
Ambassador

Post by therube »

2.9.5.3 "just works" with only bbc.co.uk & bbci.co.uk.

The feed itself seems to be coming from aod-dash-ww-live.akamaized.net.

While 2.9.5.3 "just works", 5.0.1 I cannot get to work at all - unless I Allow Globally.

I don't think I've seen akamaized in 2.9.5.3.
I think I saw akamaized - once, in 5.0.1, but even the time that I did, allowing it still did not get the feed to play.

OK, akamaized does show up in the Recently Blocked Sites list.
So if you allow bbc.co.uk, bbci.co.up & allow (from Recently Blocked Sites), akamaized, then it works.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball NoScript FlashGot AdblockPlus
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:49.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/49.0 SeaMonkey/2.46 Lightning/.4.46
Kris

Post by Kris »

Hi Therube,

Thanks for testing - it really seems to be the same bug then again. It might then be resolved by installing the latest development build.
If not, it's like what I encounterd on NOS.nl, something that's not been resolved yet by the latest development build.

Best regards,
Kris
bwallum

Post by bwallum »

Thanks for all the inputs. I have narrowed the issue down to llnwd.net being blocked. It is not obvious and you need to look in 'Recently blocked sites' to find it when you get the error message on BBC TV or iPlayer. 100% repeatable, block llnwd.net and the error 'This content doesn't seem to be working' appears. Unblock llnwd.net and the video works.

I'm accessing from the UK. My son in France says he can't get BBC streams so I'm not sure the above applies outwith the UK.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/52.0
Kris

Post by Kris »

Hello Bwallum,

I've tested the BBC link you posted while running the latest development build of Noscript and have the same issue as you have there. It's similar to the initial problem I had on NPO.nl.
In this case it won't help you yet to install the latest development build at this moment. But at least you have the workaround for now.
I'm sure it's being worked on and will be resolved some time soon.

Best regards,
Kris
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

Possibly related? - viewtopic.php?f=10&t=22635
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-
Kris

Post by Kris »

Hello Barbaz,
Possibly related? - viewtopic.php?f=10&t=22635
Not sure, what you wrote about the solution too complicated for me to understand if it is.

Seems to me more related to this one: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=22620&start=30#p87155
seems to be more of the same as before (issue on NPO.nl), now on another website and in spite of latest development build.

Best regards,
Kris
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

Kris wrote:Not sure, what you wrote about the solution too complicated for me to understand if it is.
That's because I didn't write a "solution". It's just information for Giorgio when he looks into it.

As a test, try this -
1) Go to about:config
2) Right-click the noscript.forbidXHR entry > Modify, set to 0
3) Reload the page where there are missing sites in the NS menu

Does it now work with only (Temp-)Allowing sites in the NS menu?
-
Kris

Post by Kris »

Hello Barbaz,

Ok. I did that (what you suggested) and tested the NOS.nl page with the embedded youtube videos.
Hope it 'll shed some more light on matters for Giorgio.

Result: When (temp) allowing all on NOS.nl the video plays. Googlevideo.com doesn't show in the roll down menu.

When manually allowing... googlevideo.com still remails "hidden" under the recently blocked.

End of test..
... then changed the setting in about:config back to "1" :)

Testing the BBC link in a similar way is not possible for me right now. But maybe the test on NOS.nl suffices?

Best regards,
Kris
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

Kris wrote:Testing the BBC link in a similar way is not possible for me right now. But maybe the test on NOS.nl suffices?
The testing you did is very helpful. Thanks! :D
-