[RESOLVED] Press enter in location bar broken in Seamonkey

Ask for help about NoScript, no registration needed to post
Strobe

[RESOLVED] Press enter in location bar broken in Seamonkey

Post by Strobe »

I've just upgraded Seamonkey to 1.1.17, and installed the latest NS (1.9.4.9).

Now entering a URL into the location bar and hitting enter does nothing. Hitting the "GO" button with the mouse still works as a workaround. Also for eg typing a search term and hitting down arrow -> enter (to do a search) doesn't work either (but that does put the search url into the location).

This is really annoying :)

Uninstalling NS gives me back my enter key. Reinstalling it takes it away again. So I'm pretty sure it's NS fault..

Thanks..
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.22) Gecko/20090605 SeaMonkey/1.1.17 Mnenhy/0.7.6.0
therube
Ambassador

Re: Press enter in location bar broken in NS 1.9.4.9 w/Seamonkey

Post by therube »

(With NoScript installed) check Tools | Web Development | Error Console & see if it might show anything pertinent.

When you get "nothing", does the status bar (bottom, left) show "Stopped"?

Do bookmarks, bookmarklets, & or the throbber work?
Do all the other menu items (File | Edit | View ...) display & work as expected?

Other then Mnenhy, any other extensions installed?

When you uninstalled, you used the Uninstall button in NoScript itself?

What version of NoScript did you have installed prior to 1.9.4.9?
(If you're not sure, install.log in your SeaMonkey installation directory may hold the information.)
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball NoScript FlashGot AdblockPlus
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.22) Gecko/20090605 SeaMonkey/1.1.17
Strobe

Post by Strobe »

therube wrote:(With NoScript installed) check Tools | Web Development | Error Console & see if it might show anything pertinent.
Nothing
When you get "nothing", does the status bar (bottom, left) show "Stopped"?
No, status bar doesn't change or say "stopped".
Do bookmarks, bookmarklets, & or the throbber work?
Yes, including by keyboard or mouse.
Do all the other menu items (File | Edit | View ...) display & work as expected?
Yes. All keyboard activity works, the only thing broken seems to be the "Go" functionality in the URL bar. Hitting enter doesn't work, and also, if I use search,
eg. typing "something" into the url bar and hitting down arrow, press enter for "Search Google for "something"", that then puts the equivalent search URL into the URL bar, but doesn't actually execute it.
Other then Mnenhy, any other extensions installed?
Not that I'm aware of.
When you uninstalled, you used the Uninstall button in NoScript itself?
Yes
What version of NoScript did you have installed prior to 1.9.4.9?
(If you're not sure, install.log in your SeaMonkey installation directory may hold the information.)
After upgrading Seamonkey to 1.1.17, I tried installing 1.9.3.3 but that isn't compatible with Seamonkey, so I put on the dev version 1.9.4.8 and then 1.9.4.9. The enter/go issue is present in both of those dev versions.

Hope that helps..
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.22) Gecko/20090605 SeaMonkey/1.1.17 Mnenhy/0.7.6.0
therube
Ambassador

Post by therube »

As a test, leave NoScript installed, create a new Profile & see if your issues persist in that Profile.

Might there be some sort of permissions issue? Are you running as an Administrative user?

BTW, 1.9.3.3 should install. (And with that version you would be given the option for either Profile or Installation directory install. Since you've installed a later #dev build, once you Uninstall that, you still may need to manually remove noscript.jar from Installation dir/chrome/ folder in order for 1.9.3.3 to again give you the option as to where to install.)
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball NoScript FlashGot AdblockPlus
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.22) Gecko/20090605 SeaMonkey/1.1.17
Strobe

Post by Strobe »

Ok, switching to a new profile did work with noscript installed.

So I wound up wiping the chrome directories from both the program folder and user profile folder (under "C:\Documents and Settings\XXX\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles\XXX\XXX.slt" ) and reinstalling seamonkey.

Now it all works, there must have been some leftovers from an old plugin lying around.

With a clean slate I also managed to install the current stable version without issues.

Thanks for the help.
alpha128

Re: Press enter in location bar broken in Seamonkey

Post by alpha128 »

>>(With NoScript installed) check Tools | Web Development | Error Console & see if it might >>show anything pertinent.

Don't see anything pertinent.

>>When you get "nothing", does the status bar (bottom, left) show "Stopped"?

No.

>>Do bookmarks, bookmarklets, & or the throbber work?
>>Do all the other menu items (File | Edit | View ...) display & work as expected?

Everything else seems to work.

>>Other then Mnenhy, any other extensions installed?

I don't use Mnenhy. I do use Mozex v1.0.7 and IE View (not sure which version)

http://mozex.mozdev.org/

http://ieview.mozdev.org/

>>When you uninstalled, you used the Uninstall button in NoScript itself?

I didn't know there was an uninstall button in NoScript. I did what I usually do when there's a new Seamonkey version. There's a whole procedure I follow:

To install SeaMonkey:

1. Download the new installer to your Download folder. Save away the previous installer in your Download\OLD folder.

2. Close SeaMonkey (previous version).

3. Using Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel, remove previous version of SeaMonkey. Say "yes" when the uninstaller asks you to delete the C:\Program Files\mozilla.org\SeaMonkey folder

4. Reboot your computer.

5. Using Windows Explorer, verify the C:\Program Files\mozilla.org\SeaMonkey folder has been deleted.

6. Shut down all of your running programs.

7. Disable your virus scanner.

8. Install new SeaMonkey version.

9. Reboot your computer will all programs running and your virus scanner enabled.

10. Start SeaMonkey and reinstall NoScript extension. SeaMonkey bookmarks will not work until you do. Close Seamonkey after NoScript is installed.

12. Reinstall Shockwave and Flash. Verify you have the latest versions installed.

13. Reorder QuickLaunch and Desktop icons for SeaMonkey.

Previously my noscript.jar was in my profile directory (C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles\default\xxxxxxxx.xxx\chrome) with my other extensions. When I installed the development version, noscript.jar was deleted from my profile and installed in C:\Program Files\mozilla.org\SeaMonkey\chrome.

>>What version of NoScript did you have installed prior to 1.9.4.9?
>>(If you're not sure, install.log in your SeaMonkey installation directory may hold the >>information.)

I'm not sure. I'm pretty sure it was a 1.9.3 version. Unlike mozex and ie view, I always upgrade to the new noscript version whenever I upgrade seamonkey.

By the way, as a test, I did create a new profile and the enter key did work in that profile. However, I don't want to (nor do I think I should) go to the effort of reinstalling my bookmarks, extensions, custom throbber packs, etc. in a new profile when I can use the "Go" button as a workaround. I for one do NOT consider the issue resolved. I look forward to a new development version that truly resolves the issue.

Thank you for your help.
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Re: [RESOLVED] Press enter in location bar broken in Seamonkey

Post by Giorgio Maone »

@alpha128:
is there any noscript-related stuff in the rdf files inside your profile chrome directory?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.2; en-US; rv:1.9.0.11) Gecko/2009060215 Firefox/3.0.11 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)
alpha128

Post by alpha128 »

The chrome.rdf file in my profile chrome directory does have this reference to noscript:

<RDF:Description RDF:about="urn:mozilla:package:noscript">
<c:selectedSkin RDF:resource="urn:mozilla:skin:classic/1.0:noscript"/>

By the way, I found noscript's uninstall button. I uninstalled and reinstalled 1.9.4.9. This neither helped nor harmed me. I still have the location bar issue.

Thanks for looking into this.
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Post by Giorgio Maone »

alpha128 wrote:By the way, I found noscript's uninstall button. I uninstalled and reinstalled 1.9.4.9. This neither helped nor harmed me. I still have the location bar issue.
What if you keep it uninstalled? Does it make the location bar work?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.2; en-US; rv:1.9.0.11) Gecko/2009060215 Firefox/3.0.11 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)
alpha128

Post by alpha128 »

Giorgio Maone wrote:
alpha128 wrote:By the way, I found noscript's uninstall button. I uninstalled and reinstalled 1.9.4.9. This neither helped nor harmed me. I still have the location bar issue.
What if you keep it uninstalled? Does it make the location bar work?
Yes. I uninstalled NoScript and the location bar started working properly again. I then installed 1.9.4.91 and it stopped working.
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Post by Giorgio Maone »

@alpha128:
Sorry, I installed both mozex and ieview on a SM 1.1.17 profile where NoScript 1.9.4.91 was installed, but I couldn't reproduce your issue.
Could you please create a boolean preference called javascript.options.showInConsole with value true and then recheck if any error message appears in Tools|Web Development|Error Console when the problem happens?
alpha128

Post by alpha128 »

Giorgio Maone wrote:@alpha128:
Sorry, I installed both mozex and ieview on a SM 1.1.17 profile where NoScript 1.9.4.91 was installed, but I couldn't reproduce your issue.
Could you please create a boolean preference called javascript.options.showInConsole with value true and then recheck if any error message appears in Tools|Web Development|Error Console when the problem happens?
I went into about:config and the javascript.options.showInConsole setting was already there and the value was already set to true. I rechecked the Error Console and there was nothing there.

What do you recommend now? Please let me know. Thanks.
alpha128

Post by alpha128 »

I managed to resolve my problem, at least for the time being. I ended up taking the following steps:
1. Uninstall Seamonkey, deleting the C:\Program Files\mozilla.org\SeaMonkey folder in the process.
2. Delete the chrome folder in my profile.
3. Reinstall Seamonkey.
4. Reinstall NoScript. Note: I first tried to install production version 1.9.3.3 and it didn't work. I had to reinstall development version 1.9.4.91 into C:\Program Files\mozilla.org\SeaMonkey\chrome.
5. Reinstall mozex and IE view (latest versions) into my profile chrome directory.
6. Reinstall my custom throbber packs into my profile chrome directory.

After doing all that, the Enter key now works in the location bar.

So now I'm basically back to where I was before upgrading to SeaMonkey 1.1.17, except that noscript.jar resides in C:\Program Files\mozilla.org\SeaMonkey\chrome.