New noscript interface

Ask for help about NoScript, no registration needed to post
NoScriptian

Re: New noscript interface

Post by NoScriptian »

Hi there and thank you for all the time and effort spent on this add-on gem. That's more than appreciated!

As I'm trying to get the hang of the new UI, there are still some quirks that sort of confuse me. For instance, when I change settings for the "custom" option and toggle back to "default", NoScript's symbol in the menu bar goes blank which usually means that no scripts are being blocked at all which it indeed looks like this is the case (e.g. 0/12). Not even a smaller red marking for partially blocked items is visible that way. Only when I uncheck the boxes in "custom" and toggle back to "default" NoScript shows that red cross symbol again and blocks all scripts. Is this a bug of some sort? With the old UI I was confortably knowing from the symbols alone what was happening.

Since there are tick boxes available under every option, what is the difference for "custom"?
Also, under NoScripts option menu I can see all scripts/items of websites I've visited. In your old version, I was able to delete websites or website related scripts that had been temporarily or permanently blocked/allowed. Will there be an option to delete the list's items or will this grow infinitely?

Hope you got some sleep and thank you once again!
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:57.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/57.0
lancelot

Post by lancelot »

Also, to clear an entry, it just needs to be set to Default on the Options page. Not very intuitive and can be clumsy, but it works.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; Win64; x64; rv:57.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/57.0
lancelot

Post by lancelot »

NoScriptian wrote:Since there are tick boxes available under every option, what is the difference for "custom"?
I think the difference is that if you change the options under Trusted, those will become the default for every new Trusted site.
greenskin

Post by greenskin »

NewGuy wrote:It is possible to go back to the old version for awhile longer.... Not easy, but possible. You need to find the "ESR" version of Firefoxhttps://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/organizations/, it will downrev and install just fine. Don't forget to export your NoScript whitelist first!

But then the new NoScript will not install, however it is possible to find a link to Noscript "classic" on the GetIt page https://noscript.net/getit and that will install onto the ESR Firefox.

Looks good again, nice and easy to import/export whitelists, temp allow, all the good stuff. Its nice to have the familiar icons and locations in Firefox as well. I hope by the time ESR is not supported (summer 2018) all the NoScript options will be back in an easy-to-use UI

Thanks worked great for me
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/52.0

Post by Guest »

lancelot wrote:
NoScriptian wrote:Since there are tick boxes available under every option, what is the difference for "custom"?
I think the difference is that if you change the options under Trusted, those will become the default for every new Trusted site.
You mean, this could be independently customizable and not affect the Trusted tab? Hm, I checked and as it looks like, the only difference is that, under "Trusted", "scripts" is fixated but all other changes to the tick boxes affect both Trusted and Custom. I Initially thought Custom was meant to be the "temporarily" option (as the German subs somewhat disguise the clock symbol in the Trusted tab). Well, I've got to play with it more to figure all out.

Edit: I just wanted to send my post but there was no Captcha. Although I used the "Trusted" option with all settings ticked, the Captcha prompt just wouldn't show up. I then went to "Custom" tab again (which I didn't use at the time I attempted to post) and saw that "scripts" box wasn't ticked. This means "Custom" affects "Trusted" even though, under Trusted, "scripts" are allowed by default. That's weird. Either I'm too stupid or this might be a bug of some sort.

Post by Guest »

guest duder wrote:Is it just me or is the UI hopelessly broken in private browsing? It works fine in normal browsing, but when the private mode goes on it becomes completely, hopelessly unusable and adjusting permissions is quickly reduced into diddling about with the settings page in a non-private window for maximum inconvenience. All other addons function normally.

Also the revised temporary permissions system is a major downgrade from 5, not only is it fiddlier but the lack of a revoke button really ruins it.
This but for me, the whole thing just wont work in private mode, can click it all I want but the little(not anymore...) window doesn't show. Which I used very much with the old versions because who wants five millions cookies saved and have search sites change to what a mindless robot thinks you want. In all honesty while the hard work is very much just that the old version was faster, less fiddly and actively blocked all scripts. But then again whole firefox update seems to be made up of unnecessary changes UI and structure wise.

Also on some sites addblocker plus completely messes everything up.

Post by Guest »

barbaz wrote:
rwood47 wrote:Seems like the only option is permanent allows that I have to select individually on each page.
Once you've permanently allowed a site, you can make the permission temporay by clicking the clock that shows up to the right of the current permission type.
I am not even asked whether to allow or not.
Now when I open the options, I have a huge list of pages, many I don't even visit regularly, just clicked one time or so. I'd like to remove and have the chance to allow it like in the old version.

The handling of the new version is very hard to understand - it is not allow, allow temporarily, not allow. The options now are default, trust, don't, custom and a lock. What do they all mean? No idea.
I wished we could go back to the old version, which made things a lot clearer. I hope this current version is onlz provisional.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:57.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/57.0
lancelot

Post by lancelot »

Guest wrote:You mean, this could be independently customizable and not affect the Trusted tab?
You can go to the Options page and check Debug. There's a list of trusted sites, and they don't have their own permission lists, they just inherit the settings from TRUSTED:capabilities (so changing that will affect all trusted sites, not just newly added ones). While for custom sites, each one has its own "capabilities" list.
scarredpelt

Post by scarredpelt »

So, I figured out that there is default, trusted/temporary allow, untrusted, and custom.

In previous versions the default appeared to be a no scripts allowed and you had to go through and allow individual scripts to get the bare functionality you needed to access the site. For example some of my news sites have videos that play automatically and no amount of mozilla adjustments would turn that off but with no script I suddenly had control. There was also a function to wipe out your permissions and start over. Because the current version appears to allow all the damn scripts to work even though the default is the slashS (which to my mind implies that script is not allowed) is there a way I can start over and then go back and allow individual scripts as I did before?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:57.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/57.0
shitthebed

Post by shitthebed »

Is there any way to toggle the embeddings (IFrames etc)?

Would be great if there was an option to revert back to the old UI :D :D :D
lancelot

Post by lancelot »

Guest wrote:
lancelot wrote:
You mean, this could be independently customizable and not affect the Trusted tab? Hm, I checked and as it looks like, the only difference is that, under "Trusted", "scripts" is fixated but all other changes to the tick boxes affect both Trusted and Custom. I Initially thought Custom was meant to be the "temporarily" option (as the German subs somewhat disguise the clock symbol in the Trusted tab). Well, I've got to play with it more to figure all out.

Edit: I just wanted to send my post but there was no Captcha. Although I used the "Trusted" option with all settings ticked, the Captcha prompt just wouldn't show up. I then went to "Custom" tab again (which I didn't use at the time I attempted to post) and saw that "scripts" box wasn't ticked. This means "Custom" affects "Trusted" even though, under Trusted, "scripts" are allowed by default. That's weird. Either I'm too stupid or this might be a bug of some sort.
I see what you mean now. Except for me Custom affects the Default settings, not Trusted:
my setting for Default is script:unchecked. For a random site, I set the site to Custom and -- in the Custom tab -- set script:checked. Now the setting for Default is script:checked as well. I think that's absolutely wrong.
shitthebed

Post by shitthebed »

lancelot wrote:
I see what you mean now. Except for me Custom affects the Default settings, not Trusted:
my setting for Default is script:unchecked. For a random site, I set the site to Custom and -- in the Custom tab -- set script:checked. Now the setting for Default is script:checked as well. I think that's absolutely wrong.
I've got the exact same problem. I set my Default to all boxes unchecked, then after I changed the custom setting on one website to "script" and "other" it changes the Default settings to "script" and "other". Then each time I set another site to custom, it changes the Default again!

Also I don't mean to sound ungrateful but I really miss functionality of the previous versions
Scott39

Post by Scott39 »

I too am very lost so far. Does the green lock symbol mean that the domain is currently locked? Or that if you click the lock icon it WILL lock it?

Also miss the "temporarily allow all on this page".

Looking forward to updates!
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:57.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/57.0
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

Scott39 wrote:I too am very lost so far. Does the green lock symbol mean that the domain is currently locked?
Green lock = permission is for HTTPS only, Red unlock = permission is for plain HTTP only
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-
imgoingdodo

Post by imgoingdodo »

Basically what everybody's been saying since the new NS was released today. And then some. (But I realise the creators are busting their chops fixing things - a hearty thanks for your efforts! You must've pushed it out there too soon due to demand.) The forum's in a bit of a post-release inferno :? there are threads about the same things everywhere and you have to trawl the entore forum and sub pages to make heads or tails out of whether there are any answers to the problems... Yikes. Reming me never to blindly install updates on release day EVER again :shock: It's Mad-Flippin'-Max out there.

The UI is a mess tbh. It's not just a question of being used to the old way of doing things. It's technically glitchy and broken (apparently worse when it's translated into other languages). I've had to uninstall and re-install, and every time I've practically had a different "version" of the new NS, like :arrow: a long list of automatically white listed addresses I do not know or want - but can't edit/remove OR a blank Settings page where there is no list, but then again no working commands or buttons or anything that will save a setting :arrow: the NS-icon doesn't appear anywhere in the toolbar on Firefox even though it's installed and activated = NS not working (I went in through FF Addons menu and clicked on NS Settings to see what was going on, and the entire thing was blank. This was the last installation today, so not the early morning one.)

And for the life of me - why do we have to have basic 90s computer programming lingo knowledge to know how to operate the new NS? Had so many WTF-moments figuring out that bloody white list and what was considered secure/not, what I should do with the damned red/green padlocks, why weird sites I never visist are considered safe, and why when I change a setting on one place every. bloomin'. page. ever. will open to those settings. And the little "clock" that apparently symbolises the Temporarily Allow function is a murder to get to. Okay, so you've figured out the temporary permission, wohoo - now try to figure out what bloody permissions you're supposed to okay from the list of e.g. "15 stuff you'll have to look into before the page can function" when the site still isn't working. I basically have to allow everything, as if not even using NS, for a site to work. I mean - I'm not a programmer, so I'm hardcore WTF:ing here. Which boxes should I tick or untick?

If this post seems like a jumble - that just about illustrates how the new NS feels like and handles.

The beauty of the old UI was that it was seamless. And dummy-proof, if you will :mrgreen: You could decide to allow the bare minimum by just a click at a time untill the functions you needed for a site (A site! Just the ONE site you were on at the mo, not EVERY site in EVERY TAB!) to work was allowed and no more. Then you could immediately revoke any permissions with just another click. You didn't have to know what boxes to tick where under what link to get anything to work! You felt super secure with it. Now it's like running around naked on during a full UEFA CUP match - painted in the opposing team's colours. It's all scripts or no scripts allowed (i.e. a site either works like normal, or not at all). No I don't trust everything from Google or Firefox or yourstandardsiteeveryoneuses etc. But the new UI seems to assume that you do - because it offers the options "full trust" or "no trust". What the hoot man? We're no longer in controll. And it doesn't feel safe at all. Just more hassle.

PLEASE tell me these are early teething issues and NS 10 was put out too early. That this isn't how it's going to be. I'm currintly w/o NS. Uninstalled and not going through that hell again.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:57.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/57.0