NoScript Webext browser compatibility?

General discussion about the NoScript extension for Firefox
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: NoScript Webext browser compatibility?

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

They are very irresponsibly pushing the release despite not being ready and many of the devs not being ready due to lack of proper API or finalized code, but that's Mozilla for you.
~.:[ Lï£ê ï§ å Lêmðñ åñÐ Ì Wåñ† M¥ Mðñê¥ ßå¢k ]:.~
________________ .: [ Major Mike's ] :. ________________
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:56.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/56.0
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Post by Giorgio Maone »

barbaz wrote:What browsers will NoScript Webext support?

Suppose I install NoScript Webext in a browser that's missing some needed WebExtensions APIs. Will NoScript run but some features do nothing, or will NoScript not work at all? If the former, which NoScript features wouldn't work?
Firefox 57 for the most "visible" features (Script and content blocking, XSS filter, ClearClick).
Firefox 58 for the others, at least those the Tor Browser rely upon (such as permissions cascading), and ABE most likely (complex site hierarchies can't be handled before 58).

Do not expect all the features out-of-the-box, and many will be drastically revised (improved or lessened, depending on your taste and requirements).
If stability is what you need, stay on Firefox ESR / Tor Browser as much as possible.
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

Thanks Giorgio for your input, much appreciated! Image
Giorgio Maone wrote:Firefox 57 for the most "visible" features (Script and content blocking, XSS filter, ClearClick).
Firefox 58 for the others, at least those the Tor Browser rely upon (such as permissions cascading), and ABE most likely (complex site hierarchies can't be handled before 58).
Which means if I do use NoScript Webext on Firefox, it'll have to be Firefox 58, because of ABE and restrictSubdocScripting.

Thanks for clarifying what the supported browsers will be. So Chromium/Vivaldi/etc won't be officially supported. But will NoScript work at all on Chromium? If so, what NoScript features can't be expected to work?
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Post by Giorgio Maone »

barbaz wrote: But will NoScript work at all on Chromium? If so, what NoScript features can't be expected to work?
NoScript will definitely work on Chromium by the end of 2018, with some limitations due to asynchronous WebRequest methods and some other NoScript-specific APIs which are currently implemented on Firefox only being not available (yet?)
I'm trying to port as much as possible in terms of features, but reliability will come at the price of performance penalties or lessened usability because of the above.
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

I think that answers all my questions for now. Thanks again Giorgio!
-
Thrawn
Master Bug Buster

Post by Thrawn »

Giorgio Maone wrote: Do not expect all the features out-of-the-box, and many will be drastically revised (improved or lessened, depending on your taste and requirements).
ABP faced a similar thing, apparently, having to drop features to get something in. And it's the #1 most popular extension by a huge margin, and NoScript is in the top ten. I'm feeling pretty unimpressed with Mozilla at this point.
======
Thrawn
------------
Religion is not the opium of the masses. Daily life is the opium of the masses.

True religion, which dares to acknowledge death and challenge the way we live, is an attempt to wake up.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:45.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/45.0
pocttopus

Post by pocttopus »

Giorgio Maone wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:33 pm
barbaz wrote: But will NoScript work at all on Chromium? If so, what NoScript features can't be expected to work?
NoScript will definitely work on Chromium by the end of 2018, with some limitations due to asynchronous WebRequest methods and some other NoScript-specific APIs which are currently implemented on Firefox only being not available (yet?)
I'm trying to port as much as possible in terms of features, but reliability will come at the price of performance penalties or lessened usability because of the above.

Hello folks,

Sorry for asking this, but I am wondering what happened with NoScript for other browsers? It's 2019 and yet there is no available version for Chrome neither for Opera. :|

A big thanks for the developer who has created this unique addon for Firefox. Keep it up. :idea:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:57.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/57.0
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

https://noscript.net/getit#devel wrote:v 10.6rc2
=============================================================
x Limit wrappedJSObject usages to compatible browsers

v 10.6rc1
=============================================================
x [Chromium] Merged chromium branch (unified code base)
Does this mean NoScript 10 now compatible with Chromium-based browsers?
If so, what specifically are the limitations as compared to same NoScript 10 on a supported Firefox version?
-
musonius
Master Bug Buster

Post by musonius »

barbaz wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:27 pm Does this mean NoScript 10 now compatible with Chromium-based browsers?
Yes. And it works well.
barbaz wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:27 pm If so, what specifically are the limitations as compared to same NoScript 10 on a supported Firefox version?
The most obvious difference is the missing XSS protection.

And of course there is Google's manifest V3, which could be the biggest limitation once it's done.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:66.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/66.0
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

Thanks musonius. Looks like the changelog on noscript.net is incomplete, missing v10.5.
-
therube
Ambassador

Post by therube »

And it works well.
Installs, but doesn't seem to work (in my Chrome 38) ;-).

(I had to figure out how to access extensions in Chrome.
I had to figure out how to install an extension into Chrome.
Still don't really know, but I did get it installed.

Remarkably similar, Chrome vs FF .xpi. Neat.)
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball NoScript FlashGot AdblockPlus
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/52.0 SeaMonkey/2.49.5
musonius
Master Bug Buster

Post by musonius »

The current version of Chrome is 73 and I have downloaded Chromium, which is the open source version Google Chrome is based on, just out of curiosity to test the Chromium version of NoScript. I think that version 38 is rather old and I would not say it's a problem of NoScript, if it isn't working there.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:66.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/66.0
therube
Ambassador

Post by therube »

(Oh, I agree. See the : wink : , above.
Figured that since I had happened to open Chrome, old as it is, I'd throw NoScript at it & see what happened.)
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball NoScript FlashGot AdblockPlus
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/52.0 SeaMonkey/2.49.5
therube
Ambassador

Post by therube »

current version of Chrome is 73 and I have downloaded Chromium
OK, how do you "install" NoScript into Chromium?

(Earlier, with ancient Chrome, I think I did though some "store", but with Chromium NoScript isn't even seen ? & not even sure if Chromium can install from Chrome "store"?)
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.49.5
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

therube wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:07 pm OK, how do you "install" NoScript into Chromium?
1) Download .zip release from https://github.com/hackademix/noscript/releases, unzip it into its own folder somewhere

2) go to Chromium menu (triple dot on the right) > More tools > Extensions

3) enable Developer mode

4) click "Load unpacked", navigate to the extracted NoScript extension from (1) (pick the directory containing NoScript's manifest.json)
-