Site permissions not visible

Ask for help about NoScript, no registration needed to post
Trahanas

Site permissions not visible

Post by Trahanas »

The button for per-site permissions is greyed when I go to settings, i.e. do not have the option to press it, it is de-activated. Therefore, I do not have access to the site permissions, I cannot see them any more.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:63.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/63.0
Trahanas

Re: Site permissions not visible

Post by Trahanas »

I think it happened after firefox updated to its latest version a couple of days ago. I reset the permissions to default, which is my list anyway minus the Google sites. The permissions became visible once again,I exited firefox, went on again, the permissions were inaccessible once more (greyed out, inactive button).
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to describe.

Testing with NoScript 10.1.9.9rc2 on Firefox 63.0, NoScript Options > Per-site permissions tab is not greyed out, and I can click on it. Removed the google sites from the default list, restarted Firefox, opened NoScript Options...and Per-site Permissions tab still works.

If you're referring to the NoScript toolbar icon, that was not greyed out during my testing either.

What version of NoScript are you using?
Could you please post screenshot(s) of the problem?
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-

Post by Guest »

the version is 10.1.9.9

I am trying to post a screenshot but cutting and paste but it does not seem to work. What format should I use for the screenshot. I am using a windows 7 computer.
Trahanas

Post by Trahanas »

I posted an image at imgur

https://imgur.com/a/ZoSQvor
Trahanas

Post by Trahanas »

Actually, I worked out what was happening, it was because permissions were disabled globally. Close the topic if you want, my bad!
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

Thanks for reporting back.
Trahanas wrote:Close the topic if you want, my bad!
I think not. If this UI design choice is left as-is, I'm sure you won't be the only user to make a thread like this. It just looks broken.

Conditionally greying out options is fine when user won't care about setting the greyed out option, and when setting it would be useless anyway. For example, if a program has a "Check for updates" checkbox, it would make sense to grey out a setting for frequency of update checks.

But a "check for updates" setting is something users typically want to set once and leave that way. In the case of NoScript, "Disable restrictions globally" is not like that.

The way that setting works in NoScript 10, enabling it permanently would pretty much defeat the purpose of using NoScript. A user might want to set it temporarily, to quickly get some sites working and see what all they load, perhaps as part of troubleshooting. If user wants to edit their whitelist, or the permission presets...they can't, because these settings are greyed out. Worse yet, as pointed out in the OP, you can't even VIEW these settings, making troubleshooting a lot harder.

NoScript Classic didn't do this, and neither should NoScript 10.

It would be better to allow access to the Per-site permissions tab, but put a prominent warning banner or something, that says "Restrictions are disabled globally. These permissions will have no effect." Same for the individual presets configuration in the General tab. This would be much more understandable and transparent.
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-
Anon2

Post by Anon2 »

Following on from reading this post, I've just discovered that my NoScript install is set to globally permissive! God alone knows how long this setting has been enabled for but it could well be for months! I'm not even sure how it came to be set, as it's definately not something I would have done myself.

At the very least, the user interface should draw the user's attention to this setting if it's enabled (just for clarity, I'm talking about the "Disable restrictions globally (dangerous)" check box).

Given the importance of this setting is I do feel that something along the lines of a confirmation pop-up box being launched at the end of any user intraction with NoScript, if the setting is enabled, whould be warrented.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/71.0.3578.98 Safari/537.36
musonius
Master Bug Buster

Post by musonius »

Anon2 wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:01 am At the very least, the user interface should draw the user's attention to this setting if it's enabled (just for clarity, I'm talking about the "Disable restrictions globally (dangerous)" check box).
The icon in the toolbar is a different one and the icon in the popup as well, if that option is enabled.

I personally would prefer that setting to be a temporary one and I think that there should at least be an additional step to change it from temporary to permanent.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:60.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/60.0