NoScript v10: [UI] small improvements with scroll bar?

Ask for help about NoScript, no registration needed to post
ragner

NoScript v10: [UI] small improvements with scroll bar?

Post by ragner »

Hello. Sometimes, during browsing various websites, suddenly, there could be a large number of domains at some point. I mean NoScript main popup window, where sites are listed on a separate lines, and there are five buttons next to the domain names. For each domain, one option can be selected etc. (Please see [1] -- it's an example with 11. websites and with a different options).

However, sometimes the number of domains can be significantly higher and NoScript main popup window, reaches - for example - the Firefox bottom bar. I mean length, not width. I had such situation when NoScript main popup window contained many domains and popup window was pretty large. It was pretty difficult to do some actions, such as change capabilities in a "CUSTOM" scope etc. Taking all this into account, I thought about scroll bar! (Please see [2] -- it's a web browser scroll bar, but it described very well what I mean) NOTE: scroll bar in action can be observed, for example, in "Options" and "Advanced" tab; please see "Policy window.

Additional notes and ideas: scroll bar could be placed under "Revoke Temporary Permissions" and "Temporarily allow all this page" icons, on the right side of the main popup window (see [2]). There can be a default number of domains. Let say 10. And if more than 10 domains shows up during Users actions, then scroll bar will appears. NoScripts's Options... window can also contain an option to change the default domains number.

It could be placed, for example, under "Appearance" tab and if someone will want the scroll bar to appear e.g. only when there is 15 pages, he will be able to do it, simply by setting/change default 10 to 15 in the "Change default domain number to display scroll bar" option etc. The name of this option is only an example, of course :- )

By the way: there can be also an option available, to move scroll bar from right to the left side. Something like: "Move scroll bar to the left side" (the right side is the default setting) An option under "Appearance" also.

I think, that this way, NoScript main window will look neater and more legibly.

Thanks.

P.S. I would like to thank Mrkvonic (from wilderssecurity.com forum) for his guide about NoScript v10. I've used a screenshot from his work to show what I mean (see [2]) Unfortunately, I could not contact him and ask for permission :- ( (I apologize, but I can't make a screenshot right now.) Mrkvonic if You read this, please forgive me and if You don't want your screenshot to be used, then I will ask e.g. barbaz to remove link. Thank You.

P.S 2. The same thing with [1]; I've used a screenshot from a Giorgio Maone's hackademix.net. Mr Maone, if you're mad at me etc., please write here and I will ask someone to remove this link. Once again: I apologize, but I can't make a screenshot right now. Thank You.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/52.0
barbaz

Re: NoScript v10: [UI] small improvements with scroll bar?

Post by barbaz »

There is supposed to be a scrollbar on the right side of the NoScript popup when there are too many sites to fit vertically.
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-
Swiftness

Post by Swiftness »

First and foremost, sorry for necroposting.
barbaz wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:43 pm There is supposed to be a scrollbar on the right side of the NoScript popup when there are too many sites to fit vertically.
Well, there is a scrollbar inside the popup, but the list elements at the very bottom cannot be reached (or seen) when you scroll all the way down if the browser window is not maximized.

To reproduce this, go to this article about the first game in The Legend of Zelda franchise on Gamepedia and scroll all the way down so the embedded Twitch stream is loaded before checking the list of websites in the NoScript popup.

Here is a screenshot of version 10.2.1 on Windows 10, where the scrollbar has been "scrolled" all the way down:

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; Win64; x64; rv:61.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/61.0
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

@Swiftness: I cannot reproduce that with NoScript 10.2.2rc2, Firefox 64.0.2, new profile, following these steps -

1) un-maximise the browser window

2) install NoScript latest development build

3) visit your link

4) Set all on this page to Temporarily TRUSTED, click off the NoScript popup, let NoScript reload the page

5) scroll down to the embedded Twitch stream

6) If the NoScript popup doesn't have a scrollbar, repeat (4) until it does.

The last entry I see is "youtube.com". I'm on Linux, so I wonder if you're hitting a Windows-specific issue?

(I also tried with enabling full addresses so that the list would have more entries, but still couldn't reproduce this.)
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:56.0; Waterfox) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/56.2.6
Swiftness

Post by Swiftness »

It's the same for 10.2.2rc2 in Firefox 64.0.2. Having full addresses enabled or disabled didn't affect the scrollbar.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; Win64; x64; rv:61.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/61.0