Start page is reloaded on firefox startup

General discussion about the NoScript extension for Firefox
moormaster

Start page is reloaded on firefox startup

Post by moormaster »

Since firefox 57 I have issues with my start page. I have set https://www.google.de to be opened on startup but I notice following weird behaviour:

When I start firefox the google tab will be opened and automatically reloads after ~1s. This also resets everything that I have typed into the URL field or into the search field within the google page so far. This really interrupts my workflow.

If I disable the NoScript AddOn the above behaviour does not occur on startup of firefox anymore. What can I do about this (except disabling the AddOn)? Is this a bug in NoScript? Does someone else experience this also?
Last edited by barbaz on Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed typo in topic title
barbaz

Re: Start page is reloaded on firefox startup

Post by barbaz »

I'm not seeing this in Firefox 64.0, NoScript 10.2.2rc2, new profile.

Please create a clean profile from scratch. Install only NoScript latest development build, leaving all the defaults.
Does the problem still exist?
If not, what if you then import your NoScript settings into the clean profile using the Import and Export buttons in NoScript Options?
If that still doesn't reproduce the problem, NoScript is not the culprit... try Standard Diagnostic (leaving NoScript enabled) to isolate and correct the real cause.

Let us know, thanks.
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:56.0; Waterfox) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/56.2.6
moormaster

Post by moormaster »

I tried to repoduce the behaviour with firefox 64.0 and

a) ... with my current profile using the latest developement build of NoScript

First I exported my NoScript settings.

It seems that the the google page gets loaded and everything that has been typed between the time when the search editline was first is shown to the google logo being loaded completely gets lost - the reload always happens after the page is fully loaded for the first time.

I found that there are at least two plugins causing the behaviour to get worse - if I have at least both addons Adblock Plus and NoScript enabled the time between being able to enter a search string and the google page being reloaded is at least 1s.

If I enable only the NoScript AddOn the time between displaying the search editline and the page starting to reload completely shrinks down from ~1s down to ~0.2s so it is nearly impossible to type any characters during that time.
If AddBlock Plus is the only AddOn enabled the page does not seem to get reloaded again at startup.

Next I tried to clear the whole history including everything (cookies, cache, login data, offline data, ...). I reinstalled AdBlock Plus AddOn having all its previous settings wiped and also did a reset on the NoScript Per-Sites-Permissions. -> That changes nothing - After startup of firefox with both addons enabled I still have that ~1s to type words that will be lost immediately.

b) ...with a fresh profile installing both the latest developement build of NoScript and Adblock Plus AddOn

The google page loads so very fast that there is no chance on losing any typed characters - even when both plugins are enabled and with the NoScript settings imported.
therube
Ambassador

Post by therube »

with a fresh profile ... The google page loads so very fast that there is no chance on losing any typed characters
So is that to say that with your existing Profile, google.de loads slowly, comparatively?
And if so, why?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball NoScript FlashGot AdblockPlus
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:56.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/56.0 SeaMonkey/2.53 Lightning/5.8