I'm losing Custom every time

Bug reports and enhancement requests
GIORGIO_IS_GREAT

I'm losing Custom every time

Post by GIORGIO_IS_GREAT »

I just moved Firefox (FX) from 61.0.2 to 64 and YouTube performs differently, so I believe I want to use Custom now. Oddly, the past few months youtubes would run on FX v61 even with all of these as Default (most restrictive) - youtube.com, google.com, googlevideo.com. Even more odd you could comment on YouTubes; before the last few months, you at least had to give some trust to google.com and gstatic.com to comment on a video. Anyway, I assume that this was due to some change YouTube made.

So I was able to leave every youtube page-related domain as Default on 61.0.2. When I started or restarted FX, every page would load, and would have a window caption visible to alt-Tab in Windows, but they wouldn't PLAY until I hit the little play button. That was very useful, because I sometimes carry 20 youtube windows in my FX session. If they didn't require me to hit the little play button, all 20 would start playing instantly, a great loud mess that would take a lot of time to deal with on every FX restart.

Well, new FX version 64 is different. If I leave youtube.com as Default, the only thing that loads is a nearly entirely white page and there are no window captions. But if I fully trust youtube.com then every youtube immediately plays when I restart FX64. So what I found to solve this is to go custom on youtube.com, with everything clicked except Media. Then when I restart FX64 every page loads and their caption is visible to alt-Tab, but they don't begin playing yet. Then when I am ready to hear a youtube, I could just temp trust youtube.com, and that window only would play. The others would remain silent until I alt-tabbed over to them and hit F5.

This will work for me but when I restart FX64 youtube.com shows Default and I'm back to nearly 100% white pages with no window captions for YouTube windows in my Firefox session. Shouldn't it resume as Custom with everything checked except media? (And I'm sure Temporary Trust was what I clicked).

So I tried another way: setting custom as desired (everything checked except Media), closing the NoScript interface, reopening it, clicking Custom for youtube.com, clicking the little clock enlarging it, then clicking Media (so all are checked now). My understanding was that by enlarging the little clock, my change to turn on Media would be gone when I restarted FX64 and Custom would be back to everything except Media. However, when I restart FX64 after this, it drops to Default, just like it did when restarting following using temp trust. Is this contrary to normal function, or am I just misunderstanding how temporary trust and temporary custom work?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:98.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/98.0
barbaz

Re: I'm losing Custom every time

Post by barbaz »

This is how it's designed atm. I think it was done this way so that changing Untrusted -> Temp. Trusted would result in reverting to Default.

For permanent Custom -> Temp. Trusted, this behavior is unexpected and confusing. It would be much more intuitive if in this case, it reverts back to the previous Custom setting.
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:56.0; Waterfox) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/56.2.6
GIORGIO_IS_GREAT

Thank you. You are always astutely helpful and entirely clear. I wish I could perform that way.

I solved the youtube issue separately as it was due to a configuration change made in FX63, so although I no longer have an immediate need to use Custom, I'm grateful that you confirmed what is going on. Is there a suggestion box for this kind of thing? I would bet that it would be a simple programming change, though I also know that there's almost no such thing as a simple programming change.

Also, here I'm referring to (and I believe that your post only referred to) Temporary trust of one site that was getting permanent custom treatment. What about the little clock inside the Custom tab? Since it doesn't seem to do what I expected, what exactly does it do? Or do you think that is just a now inert control that accidentally lingered since the first post-Quantum overhaul, but no longer does anything?

(Do you know what I mean by "first post" overhaul? It seems like there was a flood of discussion and a great documentation post &t=23974 "A basic guide to NoScript 10" Post by blublevita, but I recall that it was strongly revamped and simplified about a month later.)
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

GIORGIO_IS_GREAT wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:02 pm Is there a suggestion box for this kind of thing?
We can move this thread to NoScript Development as a RFE if you like.
GIORGIO_IS_GREAT wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:02 pm What about the little clock inside the Custom tab?
When toggled on, it makes the Custom permission temporary. And same as Temp. Trusted, this also reverts to Default when the temporary permission expires.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:56.0; Waterfox) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/56.2.6
GIORGIO_IS_GREAT

Okay. I guess the little clock is only for changing Default to custom, and returns to Default when browser restarts. Nonetheless my idea might also be useful, to have a way to start with Custom, make a temporary tweak to Custom, which reverts to what Custom was before the temporary change; that is slightly different than starting with custom, and giving "full" temporary trust to a site, then reverting to Custom (assuming he implements that anyway). It seems like an obscure action though.

Use your discretion on moving this. I don't know if there's meaningful demand for this. I can't even promise that I'll even use it, because when I use Custom anyway, I usually leave it alone, or just go to fully trusted if I do anything.

By the way, did Default change from ["frame", "media", "object"] to ["frame", "fetch", "other"] ?
I just did an export compared to 3 months ago and see that difference. Or did *I* define what default was before?! I don't remember, but it seems to me that default is not user configurable (at least since the post-Quantum overhaul).
All NoScript is outstanding. :) :)
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

GIORGIO_IS_GREAT wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:19 am Use your discretion on moving this.
I think it's a good idea, so moved :)
GIORGIO_IS_GREAT wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:19 am By the way, did Default change from ["frame", "media", "object"] to ["frame", "fetch", "other"] ?
I doubt it ever allowed "media" and "object" by default. The second one is the default of default.
GIORGIO_IS_GREAT wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:19 am did *I* define what default was before?! I don't remember, but it seems to me that default is not user configurable (at least since the post-Quantum overhaul).
You can configure this in NoScript Options > General, select the Default preset tab and set the check marks how you want.
GIORGIO_IS_GREAT

barbaz_IS_GREAT thank you for your competent attention and advice. You certainly give good web.
All NoScript is outstanding. :) :)
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

You're welcome Image