Classic NoScript installation workaround for Pale Moon

General discussion about the NoScript extension for Firefox
apollo702

Classic NoScript installation workaround for Pale Moon

Post by apollo702 »

Hi, I want to a long delayed update of NS for Pale Moon (28.2.2(64 bit)) and when I went to the link it opens up the install tab and then displays a message claiming that it cannot install because of signing.

I went into about:config and the xpi signature boolean was already set to false. I then went into PM's Tools, Preferences and the site warnings already were toggled off and I set add-on security level to off. It still refuses.

Now correct all of that. As I was typing I tried one more thing. I also run "Configuration Mania" and it has an option under it's add-on tab to "not check secure updates." I toggled that one went back to the install link and BOOM! the install worked.

I left the old steps of the issue up in case anybody else runs into this issue and none of the above steps work. I also changed the title of the post to indicate it is a workaround. If this helps anybody else then best wishes.

Happy holidays everyone!

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:60.9) Gecko/20100101 Goanna/4.1 Firefox/60.9 PaleMoon/28.2.2
barbaz

Re: Classic NoScript installation workaround for Pale Moon

Post by barbaz »

Moving to NoScript General
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-
therube
Ambassador

Post by therube »

NoScript (5) installs into PM without any issues regardless of whether NoScript is signed or not.

If you modified a signed copy of NoScript, doing so breaks its signing, so you have to remove the /META-INF/ from your modified copy.
(If you modified a signed copy of any extension, doing so breaks its signing.)
(If you modify any Quantum extension, it breaks its signing, & unsigned extensions can't [normally] be installed into Quantum. Talk about a crock.)

I have no idea what "Configuration Mania" is?

(The fact that PM chides NoScript is a different matter entirely.)
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball NoScript FlashGot AdblockPlus
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/52.0 SeaMonkey/2.49.5
apollo702

Post by apollo702 »

I didn't modify a thing. Maybe it had something to do with something else such as updating another version??? I am also editing this to say that maybe someday when I have time I might download Quantum and experiment with it. I tend to download and test just about every browser out there at least for testing/comparison purposes.

However, I did notice that NS also was immediately disabled. Boo! Also, I had been avoiding the PM forums and when I did pull them up, what I saw regarding NoScript- and the level of venom in there(in general) I was horrified! :shock: maybe there was more to read- but I don't allow that sort of thing in my life and eventually I just had to shut it off. Every day I fill life with things that add to the day. :)

As far as "Configuration Mania" goes it is an extension something like "Pale Moon Commander"- but with more options.

Lastly, I need to do some reading here because something has happened to my 3 NS icons! I am going do some searching in the forums- but if anybody is online answers would be welcome.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:60.9) Gecko/20100101 Goanna/4.1 Firefox/60.9 PaleMoon/28.2.2