Some behaviour changes I noticed moving to FF Quantum.

General discussion about the NoScript extension for Firefox
michkov

Some behaviour changes I noticed moving to FF Quantum.

Post by michkov »

I've been using Noscript on Firefox Quantum for a couple of months now and found the functionality lacking in two areas I've gotten used to working much smoother with the old version of FF.

1) Playing media
Everytime I click on a media file that has been blocked, I have to affirm that I really want to play that file. I get why it's there but the old version had the option to let me play media with a single click after the first dialogue box appearing. Alternatively an option to OK the affirmation dialogue with Enter instead of just the mouse would be nice.

2) Blank white sites
This is particular to Instangram and Pintrest, both are displaying blank white pages upon loading until I at least whitelist the top level site. Which gets annoying quickly in the case of Pintrest since they got sites for each top level domain, plus the constant overlays asking me to sign up/in. All I want is a static wall of pictures or a list of links in the Instagram case.

Obviously this came about how FF handles addons in it's new guise so I'm not sure if that is something that can be addressed on the NoScript front or not. But I figured I might bring it up just in case I'm not the only one who has this issues.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:63.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/63.0
therube
Ambassador

Re: Some behaviour changes I noticed moving to FF Quantum.

Post by therube »

Every time I click on a media file that has been blocked, I have to affirm that I really want to play that file.
I've forgotten, how do you go about doing that, the block?
both are displaying blank white pages upon loading until I at least whitelist the top level site
And what is it that you would want it to do instead?
Pintrest since they got sites for each top level domain
Examples?
Obviously this came about how FF handles addons in it's new guise
So you're saying that NoScript 5 did anything different on these sites?

https://www.instagram.com/makanindong/
https://www.instagram.com/josephineskriver/
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball NoScript FlashGot AdblockPlus
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/52.0 SeaMonkey/2.49.5
michkov

Post by michkov »

therube wrote:
Every time I click on a media file that has been blocked, I have to affirm that I really want to play that file.
I've forgotten, how do you go about doing that, the block?
They are blocked by default, my white list is quite small and doesn't include much in the way of media files. So most of them have to be unblocked to play
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:63.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/63.0
therube
Ambassador

Post by therube »

How do you get them to be blocked?

(And I added to the post, above.)
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball NoScript FlashGot AdblockPlus
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/52.0 SeaMonkey/2.49.5
musonius
Master Bug Buster

Post by musonius »

michkov wrote:1) Playing media
Everytime I click on a media file that has been blocked, I have to affirm that I really want to play that file. I get why it's there but the old version had the option to let me play media with a single click after the first dialogue box appearing. Alternatively an option to OK the affirmation dialogue with Enter instead of just the mouse would be nice.
Allowing media as default in NoScript and disabling autoplay of media in about:config is no option?

In Firefox 63 I have set media.autoplay.default=2 which asks me, if I want to enable autoplay for a site, if there is some media to be played. Setting it to 1 disables autoplay globally. In earlier versions of Firefox, media.autoplay.enabled had to be set to false.
michkov wrote:2) Blank white sites
This is particular to Instangram and Pintrest, both are displaying blank white pages upon loading until I at least whitelist the top level site. Which gets annoying quickly in the case of Pintrest since they got sites for each top level domain, plus the constant overlays asking me to sign up/in. All I want is a static wall of pictures or a list of links in the Instagram case.
I have tried a fresh profile with disabled javascript (javascript.enabled=false in about:config) and Instagram shows blank white pages as well. I expect from NoScript to cause the same behaviour, if all Javascript is being blocked by it. Since I have no browser which supports NoScript 5, I cannot comment on NoScript 5, but this seems to be how Instagram without Javascript seems to behave.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:60.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/60.0