Pale Moon addons site listing discussion split from t=22267

General discussion about the NoScript extension for Firefox
whoosh

Pale Moon addons site listing discussion split from t=22267

Post by whoosh »

Giorgio Maone wrote:I'll try to keep up with security fixes as long as compatible browsers which do receive security updates (such as Palemoon or Waterfox) are still available.

This Pale Moon user is grateful. Thank you very much.

I do have a question:
NoScript's (external) listing seems to have just disappeared again from the Pale Moon add-ons site.
[ https://addons.palemoon.org/extensions/ ]

Is it possible to restore it?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:52.9) Goanna/4.1 PaleMoon/28.1.0
therube
Ambassador

Re: [FIXED] (classic) Automatic reload broken?

Post by therube »

If it is not there, have to assume that PM removed it.
PM is hostile to NoScript, as it is.
PM takes the attitude of no support if you use NoScript.
Also possible that on that page they only list extensions there that "specifically" support PM (not sure)?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball NoScript FlashGot AdblockPlus
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/52.0 SeaMonkey/2.49.5
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Post by Giorgio Maone »

whoosh wrote: Is it possible to restore it?
I sent an email to my "lead" there (the one who published the external listing last time).
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:62.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/62.0
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Post by Giorgio Maone »

Giorgio Maone wrote:
I sent an email to my "lead" there (the one who published the external listing last time).
And this is his answer:
Pale Moon guys wrote: The listing had been removed, as it had been creating too much confusion within our community.

Following the addition of the warnings in our Add-ons Manager earlier this year (to which I've previously explained), there had since been much confusion as to why an add-on with a warning was included on our site in any fashion, be that with a full listing or as an external one (i.e. linking to your site). When an add-on is included on our site it is generally viewed that
this should work without displaying any such warnings, our community has since displayed concerns about its presence on our site and on several occasions requested it be removed for this reason. In addition, due to the nature of the add-on affecting many parts of the browser - the nature of which debatable depending who you discuss with - it has created many support issues within our community that cannot easily be resolved, to the point where we have had to outright refuse support for such users (see https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=17619). While there may not have been any issue with NoScript itself, it appeared to create additional issues elsewhere, such that its operation was (by many users) seen as an issue with the browser itself as opposed to the extension.

I am truly sorry about the confusion this situation has caused, however given the ultimate reaction by our community and the subsequent support issues presented by this we have had to take the decision to remove this outright. Users are still able to install the extension from your site, and get updates for it from your site as before; the only difference now is that we would not be able to link to it directly from our add-ons site (as an external listing is exactly that: a link to the site where one can install an extension, and nothing more).
whoosh

Post by whoosh »

Giorgio Maone wrote:And this is his answer:
Pale Moon guys wrote:[...]

Thank you for looking into it and posting their answer.
So from now on, Pale Moon users should get NoScript from here: https://noscript.net/getit#classic.

I'll admit I'm disappointed with their decision.

Thank you again for continuing support for the classic version of NoScript.

Edit (2018-10-08):
JoeG wrote:and I'll encourage other Pale Mooners to do the same.

Consider me encouraged,
Donation made. :)
Last edited by whoosh on Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:52.9) Goanna/4.1 PaleMoon/28.1.0
JoeG

Re: Pale Moon addons site listing discussion split from t=22

Post by JoeG »

Hello Giorgio,

I too would like to express my most sincere thanks for continuing your support for the PaleMoon family.

I'm making a (small :oops:) donation, and I'll encourage other Pale Mooners to do the same.

Best regards from Berlin,
JoeG
---------------------
Pale Moon x64 - 28.4.0 & 28.5.0a1 (portable/unstable - 2018-02-22) / Basilisk x64 - 2018.12.18 / Win7 SP1 x64 (English) / Lenovo S20, Xeon X5670, 12gb RAM / NEC PA272W on Matrox C420 / NEC SpectraView 241 and PA241W on Matrox M9120. Also using MyPal on a WinXP machine. Thanks Giorgio!.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:52.9) Gecko/20100101 Goanna/4.1 Firefox/52.9 Basilisk/20180927
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Re: Pale Moon addons site listing discussion split from t=22

Post by Giorgio Maone »

JoeG wrote:Hello Giorgio,

I too would like to express my most sincere thanks for continuing your support for the PaleMoon family.

I'm making a (small :oops:) donation, and I'll encourage other Pale Mooners to do the same.
Thank you.
YLT

Post by YLT »

Giorgio Maone wrote:
Giorgio Maone wrote:
And this is his answer:
Pale Moon guys wrote: The listing had been removed, as it had been creating too much confusion within our community. ...
Giorgio, thank you for your _years_ of work on this important project, and for taking on keeping NoScript viable for PM users, as well. Thanks for providing the above explanation for what has most recently occurred.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:52.9) Gecko/20100101 Goanna/3.4 Firefox/52.9 PaleMoon/27.9.4