Firefox Extension that shows Encryption details.

General discussion about web technology.
Azijn

Firefox Extension that shows Encryption details.

Post by Azijn »

Lately, I've become interested in encryption settings of various websites. In Firefox, you get a 'green' loc in the nav-bar if server-side encryption is offered, but if you want more details, you have to click the lock, click the arrow "show connection details" and then "more information" to get the details on the security tab:

For example, for this forum, the connection details of the encryption my browser and server negotiate:
TLS_ECDHE_RSA_WITH_AES_128_GCM_SHA256, 128 bit keys, TLS 1.2

What I'm looking for is an extension that displays this information somewhat more accessible (in the navbar, or hovering over it), or logs it to a text file on a per-site basis.

Anybody got any ideas. Alternatively, this could be my first extension project (I have very little programming experience), so can anyone with some insight in the WebExtensions API's advise whether this is appropriate for a beginner to tackle?

Alternatively alternatively, I'm willing to spend a small amount to have this as commissioned work, but I've no idea where to find/get in touch with programmers who do this sort of small commissioned work. (I'm imagining, but could be wrong, that an experienced programmer could provide this functionality in a very short timeframe).
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/65.0.3325.183 Safari/537.36 Vivaldi/1.96.1147.47
therube
Ambassador

Re: Firefox Extension that shows Encryption details.

Post by therube »

What version of FF?
Guess you'd want the site security version of https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... main-info/ ;-).
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball NoScript FlashGot AdblockPlus
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/52.0 SeaMonkey/2.49.4
Azijn

Post by Azijn »

The latest version :-)

I installed the plugin, and it's pretty cool and gives a lot of information, but I'm really more interested in my connection. So rather than getting information about the site, I really want the information like above (the protocol and cipherspec actually used for the connection) to be displayed more easily than requiring all those clicks.

If that's available in the plugin you linked, let me know, I've been browsing through it, but cannot find that.

(Apologies if my user agent string threw you off, on this machine I use Vivaldi browser for certain purposes)
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/65.0.3325.183 Safari/537.36 Vivaldi/1.96.1147.47
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

Take a look at the list of WebExtensions APIs at https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/Add ... Extensions, do any of them have capability of getting the info you want? If not, file a bug requesting such an API - https://wiki.mozilla.org/WebExtensions/NewAPIs
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-
Thrawn
Master Bug Buster

Post by Thrawn »

CipherFox used to do this, but it isn't a WebExtension.
======
Thrawn
------------
Religion is not the opium of the masses. Daily life is the opium of the masses.

True religion, which dares to acknowledge death and challenge the way we live, is an attempt to wake up.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Ubuntu Chromium/66.0.3359.181 Chrome/66.0.3359.181 Safari/537.36