(S) v10: issues with main window and new top menu buttons.

Ask for help about NoScript, no registration needed to post
fenix

(S) v10: issues with main window and new top menu buttons.

Post by fenix »

Hello.

NOTE: screenshots were uploaded on the 'imgur' website. I hope, that it is nothing wrong. But if yes, then I'm sorry and please provide some good, free image hosting websites. Thanks.

After updating NoScript to version 10.1.8.2, I started to notice a strange problems with three new icons/buttons and main NoScript window. It seems to be related, at least, with v10.1.8.2rc2 [1], because with - for example - v10.1.8.1 version, everything was okay. Anyway, it's pretty hard to see these new options in the main NoScript popup window - I can see them for almost one second only. So, I don't know what these options are for. However, looking at the icons I have some ideas...

Okay, I've tried to make a screenshot to show all Users how it looks like. It was pretty hard to make a good screenshot, exactly in the moment when a new icons/options were shown for almost one second in the main window. However, let see how it looks like:

This screenshot shows exactly a moment of/after clicking on the NoScript icon (toolbar button) and the moment of the main window stretching etc. (As we can see, there are three new icons/buttons). This window, in one second, expands to the NoScript normal window size.

Next screenshot shows stretched NoScript main window after one second. That is, the default. This is the popup window, which is available in earlier releases, right? It looks this way, at least, in the v 10.1.8.1 version. And also in earlier releases as well.

So, that's how it looks like after NoScript update to the latest stable version. However, I would like to pay your attention to a small detail: on the white gap between (Options...) icon and "S! Disable restrictions globally (dangerous)" icon, we can see a little - let say - hand, right? Is this normal? Does it always looked in this way? I mean a previous NoScript versions.

I hope, that I had showed it in a good and understandable way. Summarizing: 1/ I'm clicking on the NoScript main icon; 2/ Next, small popup window (please see first screenshot) shows for almost one second; 3/ NoScript main window becomes normal size (please see second script).

Some technical informations:

✓ NoScript version: v10.1.8.2
✓ Firefox version: v60.0.1 (32 bity)
✓ Operating System: Linux

Thanks, best regards.
therube
Ambassador

Re: (S) v10: issues with main window and new top menu button

Post by therube »

Maybe it's that "gravestone" that shows in your first shot.
I have no idea what the gravestone is?
(Or maybe it's a doorway into another realm?)
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball NoScript FlashGot AdblockPlus
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.49.3
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

therube wrote:I have no idea what the gravestone is?
It's related to the new drag&drop customisability of the top bar.
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-
Quest

Post by Quest »

The gravestone should be visibly all the time. The white gap is the grave. That's where you bury other icons.
BTW. I thought that there was something wrong with that icon, but it really is a gravestone?
Nice idea, but nevertheless all those icons look utterly disheveled.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:60.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/60.0
fenix

Post by fenix »

Hi.

Thanks for all the answers. However, I would like to ask one question: therube, barbaz and Quest: do you all see these icons in NoScipt 10.1.8.2? I mean icons/button, which are visible - in my case - for one second after clicking on the NoScript main icon - (S) etc.

They are visible on the first screenshot in my first post. We can see, that between (Options...) and "Set all on this page to Temporarily TRUSTED" buttons, there are three new buttons, right? So, I would like to know if all of you are seeing these new options?

I have no idea, which commit can be responsible for such situation. The only one thing, that I think of is:

Code: Select all

v 10.1.8.2rc2
===============================
+ More discoverable toolbar customization UI
(...)

So, can you reproduce this issue or all of you are seeing these new buttons without any issues, for example, with one second, small NoScript main window? And what's your opinion: is this a NoScript bug or rather problem on my side?

By the way: "gravestone" is a very good name :- )

Thanks.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:60.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/60.0
skriptimaahinen
Master Bug Buster

Post by skriptimaahinen »

The two "new" icons, that replace the "disable restrictions globally/for this tab" are just "enabled" counterparts for those icons. The smaller popup you see for a split second is the template for the popup that then gets initialized by some slow *** async javascript operations and acquires its completed form.

It has always been this way. I have seen this transition happening from the beginning of the new NS. I assume whether you see this flicker or not depends on how fast machine you got or if your Firefox is choking on something.

Though you do say that it last for a whole second? That's a bit too long for comfort.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:60.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/60.0
fenix

Post by fenix »

Hi skriptimaahinen.

Thanks for an answer. Yes, I see new icons/buttons in NoScript menu for almost one second: when I click on an icon, a small popup window (see my first screenshot) appears and after ~ one second window is stretching to the normall size (see my second screenshot). And there is no new buttons: for example, already mentioned, "gravestone" etc.

This issue started to happen after NoScript update to v10.1.8.2 version. Earlier, I mean v10.1.8.1 version for example, everything was okay - no small window for one second with new buttons etc.

Frankly, I don't think it can be a machine related problem, because everything was fine before v10.1.8.2. (According to your words: "(...) how fast machine you got". Firefox is also in a good shape and is not "choking on something".)

So, it seems, that I'm the only one with such an issue? Nobody can reproduce this issue?

Thanks.
Quest

Post by Quest »

When the menu opens the icons are already right.
Problem is "when": sometimes the opening lasts at least that one second; there's only a tiny white rectangle instead of the menu. So maybe there is something causing lag here.
I am really not sure if the menu always shows at all after one click because usually I use to click several times before the menu appears.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:60.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/60.0
skriptimaahinen
Master Bug Buster

Well, like I said it does happen to me too but much more briefly. The likely reason for your problem is that some async operation gets blocked for extended period, but the question is which and why?

So...

- Is there any special conditions when this happens (certain settings enabled, sites visited/enabled)?
- Does this happen with clean profile?
- Does this happen right after restart of FireFox/Operating System or does it require extended period of usage to start showing?
- Anything in the console that might help?
fenix

Post by fenix »

Hello.

skriptimaahinen thanks for an answer. I'm so busy right now and I can not check a clean profile etc. Sorry. However, there is no special conditions - it started to happen after NoScript update to v10.1.8.2 version and no "FireFox/Operating System" restart was required.

I enabled a browser console via 'Ctrl Shift+J', next click on NoScript icon and check what gets logged. So, here it's (NOTE: I unchecked 'Security' option and check 'CSS'):

Code: Select all

"Handler function DebuggerProgressListener.prototype.onStateChange threw an exception: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80004002 (NS_NOINTERFACE) [nsIWebProgress.DOMWindow]"  nsresult: "0x80004002 (NS_NOINTERFACE)"  location: "JS frame :: resource://devtools/shared/base-loader.js -> resource://devtools/server/actors/tab.js :: DebuggerProgressListener.prototype.onStateChange< :: line 1627"  data: no] Stack: DebuggerProgressListener.prototype.onStateChange<@resource://devtools/shared/base-loader.js -> resource://devtools/server/actors/tab.js:1627:9 exports.makeInfallible/<@resource://devtools/shared/base-loader.js -> resource://devtools/shared/ThreadSafeDevToolsUtils.js:109:14
Line: 1627, column: 0"

[NoScript] Collected seen Array [ Object, Object, Object ]  log.js:9:39
[NoScript] Imported function Policy(options)  log.js:9:39
[NoScript] Including /ui/toolbar.js  log.js:9:39
[NoScript] Seen:  Array [ Object, Object, Object ]  log.js:9:39
[NoScript] Clearing list undefined  log.js:9:39
[NoScript] Customize preset undefined ( null ) - Dirty: undefined  log.js:9:39
[NoScript] Rendering  Array [ "§:informaction.com" ]  inside  <div id="sites">  log.js:9:39
[NoScript] Clearing list <table class="sites">  log.js:9:39
[NoScript] Creating row for site: §:informaction.com, matching null / null,  Object { capabilities: Set[0], temp: false, contextual: Map[0] }  log.js:9:39
[NoScript] Clearing list <table class="sites">  log.js:9:39
[NoScript] Wiring <table class="sites">  log.js:9:39
[NoScript] pendingReload false

I have no idea if they are a valuable informations, but this is what gets logged in a browser console right after clicking on the NoScript icon etc.

Sorry for not checking a clean profile, but I can not do it now and, frankly, I don't know when I will be able to do this :- ( The good news is that; "it does happen to me too"...

Thanks.
fenix

Post by fenix »

Hello. There is a similar issue reported. Please see: https://forums.informaction.com/viewtop ... 10&t=24951
NSOldie

Post by NSOldie »

Just adding a general observation that this rendering delay can vary in this
system depending on the number of tabs and the other work that Xorg is doing
concurrently.
I don't find it inconsistent with the general change in rendering all Fx since the change to Quantum; a lot of stuff gets painted very differently and asynchronously to my old eyes.
And I got used to it fairly quickly. I guess it's the price of keeping up with innovation
in the modern browser.
Having run a few Chromium sessions for sht and giggles, it's pretty clear to me that
Chromium delays complete page rendering quite a few milliseconds more than Quantum, and therefore dodges many of these *cough* idiosyncratic behaviours.
I prefer Fx to Chromium because I can get down to scanning the page faster. The brain hates latency I think.
fenix

Post by fenix »

Hello.

NSOldie thanks for an answer. However, I would like to know if these new icons (see my two screenshots or "10.1.8.2 Glitchy menu popup animation" thread) should be visible in NoScript main pop-up window and for what they are responsible for etc.

Best regards.
skriptimaahinen
Master Bug Buster

I thought I explained them already. Click the "Disable restrictions globally" and "Disable restrictions for this tab" icons and you should find out yourself what the "new" icons are for.