Flashgot media youtube only half working

Ask for help about FlashGot, no registration needed to post
WhyNoWork

Flashgot media youtube only half working

Post by WhyNoWork »

Hi,
I just installed Flashgot and I'm trying to get it working so I can download a youtube video.
The video won't download using the Flashgot media menu Ctrl + F7 (The menu shows up, I select the format and quality I need and press OK and nothing happens).
If I right click on the Icon the appers on the toolbar when on youtube and select a link from there the download DOES start and everything is fine, the problem it only offers 3 options using the right click on the icon and I can't download the 1080 version (also format selection is much more limited).

Any idea why this is happening ?

I deleted all other extensions that could have anything to do with it and reinstalled flashgot and was unable to fix this...
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:55.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/55.0
kittymew

Re: Flashgot media youtube only half working

Post by kittymew »

I never posted about this because I was hoping it was just a glitch that would get fixed in an update or itself, but I have what sounds like a the same issue for quite some months now too:

It seems at some point Flashgot or Youtube changed and now instead of getting the pulldown for the separate Dash options (which have with _hd1080 video, _250k audio etc) the video is always video/mp4 (but you can get the 1080 if you play it on the video and reload) and the audio is always audio/mp4 - this has maximum 128k audio, there is no 250k audio anymore, which is the big bad thing about this really?

(using firefox 43 because mozilla keep making firefox worse and worse removing the option from privacy for prompts to give people a choice about accepting cookies, and breaking the SelfDestructing Cookies extension, I tried the new firefox on a diferent computer and I don't like the new noscript design which seems dumbed down)
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:43.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/43.0

Post by Guest »

Youtube download was working with Flashgot up until about a day ago. It's broken now. The icon doesn't appear for me on pages with video.
Example Youtube page with problem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVWIycipMZ8
Anyone know what changed? Is Flashgot still being maintained?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/52.0

Post by Guest »

It looks like the problem was not Youtube or Flashgot, but the Classic Theme Restorer 1.7.6 update that I installed yesterday. (It also may have been Status 4 Evar since I had the Flagot icon at the bottom in its status bar, but that's less likely.)

I saw that when I installed FF52 ESR in a fresh VM with Windows 7, and then installed Flashgot, Youtube worked again. So I installed Classic Theme Restorer 1.7.6 and then Flashgot broke like on my bare metal machine. I fixed things again simply by reinstalling Flashgot.

So, in my case, the fix was just to uninstall and then reinstall Flashgot. No need to uninstall CTR.
Last edited by barbaz on Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited as requested

Post by Guest »

Oops, no editing possible? Admin, how about enabling it for 5 minutes from the same IP?

Anyway, it should read, "uninstall and then reinstall Flashgot."
kittymew

Post by kittymew »

I hope the derail about it not working at all (instead of half working) doesn't distract from my question it's been the same for a long time now :(

Post by Guest »

Note that I see the same behavior - you have to reload the video in the desired resolution for it to show up in the pulldown, and it's being doing that for a while. Since the last update, 1.5.6.14, was released in on 12/1/2016, the project may be dead. Perhaps not enough people were making donations to support his work?

BTW, you're opening yourself to malware by surfing the web with an unsupported browser - I'd be more worried about that than Flashgot half working. I'm using FF52 ESR which is still getting security patches.
kittymew

Post by kittymew »

Oh it's not even just that, there used to be a separate DASH pulldown to download video and audio and you would get to choose between webm or mp4 or m4a, but flashgot can only get the mp4 and m4a now

and you can't pick 250k audio anymore, the .m4as that flashgot has now are all only half-quality 128k stuff (you can right click properties on them when playing them in MPC-HC), no access to the 250k .m4a or higher quality webm (variable bitrate but still higher)