New icons in 10.1.8.1

General discussion about the NoScript extension for Firefox
David_L

New icons in 10.1.8.1

Post by David_L »

The latest NoScript upgrade (10.1.8.1) added two icons to the popup:
"Disable restrictions globally (dangerous)" and "Disable restrictions for this tab".

Does clicking on these icons only make temporary changes, which can be cancelled by clicking on them again?
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:59.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/59.0
therube
Ambassador

Re: New icons in 10.1.8.1

Post by therube »

(Not having seen much of 10 of late [or even much at all]...)

"Disable restrictions globally (dangerous)"

I'll take it that this Disable disables even more then <= 5's Allow Globally?
(To me, Disable globally is harder for me to comprehend then Allow Globally, & would much rather have the latter [wording]... see that, I've now confused myself. Think... Think... Stop being so wishy-washy! Sounds like a double-negative. Or is it a negative-positive? If it is to mean, Allow Globally, I'd change it to that for myself, on my end, but then that would break signing... sigh.)

"Disable restrictions for this tab"

Likewise. "Temporarily allow all."
And then clarification of "this tab". As in is it actually tab specific or domain specific (so affecting other tabs with the same domains). And if domain, is that recursive or only those domains that are visible when the Disable is invoked?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball NoScript FlashGot AdblockPlus
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/52.0 SeaMonkey/2.49.3 Lightning/5.4
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Post by Giorgio Maone »

They both mean that all the content-blocking restrictions (those affected by the permission presets) are ignored until you revoke them by clicking the button again.
The tab option disables them recursively for all the activity happening in the tab (and only in that tab): a feature that has been repeatedly asked for but was very difficult to implement pre-WebExt (exceptionally).
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:59.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/59.0
David_L

Post by David_L »

Thank you for answering my question. :)
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:59.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/59.0
diverjer

Post by diverjer »

I noticed new icons, it looks like from testing disable restrictions globally is just like an on/off switch, have to reload non active tab for to take effect. Same for disable restrictions for this tab on/off switch, if close tab and reopen, you go back to default. The other two icon did get switched around in their placement, but I can get use to that. I didn't test what would happen if disable restrictions globally and then restart FF, but it would be obvious from looking.

Nice addition, Thank You.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:59.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/59.0
therube
Ambassador

Post by therube »

Having now looked at 10.1.8.1... I'll reiterate:
I'll take it that this Disable disables even more then <= 5's Allow Globally?
(To me, Disable globally is harder for me to comprehend then Allow Globally, & would much rather have the latter [wording]... see that, I've now confused myself. Think... Think... Stop being so wishy-washy! Sounds like a double-negative. Or is it a negative-positive? If it is to mean, Allow Globally, I'd change it to that for myself, on my end, but then that would break signing... sigh.)

"Disable restrictions for this tab"

Likewise. "Temporarily allow all."
And then clarification of "this tab". As in is it actually tab specific or domain specific (so affecting other tabs with the same domains). And if domain, is that recursive or only those domains that are visible when the Disable is invoked?
Color me confused.
And now I think I'll laugh at myself a little (or cry).

I'll bet you, that my (& others) issues are just this.
https://forums.informaction.com/viewtop ... 898#p96898
https://forums.informaction.com/viewtop ... =7&t=24740
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball NoScript FlashGot AdblockPlus
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/52.0 SeaMonkey/2.49.3 Lightning/5.4
FranL

Post by FranL »

therube wrote: "Disable restrictions for this tab"
[...]
Pending updated documentation, aren't these two questions relatively easy to answer through experiment? When I click Disable restrictions for this tab, other tabs opened to the same site still have restrictions. It also appears to be recursive (i.e., as if NoScript's restrictions didn't exist in this tab), because I have never found a site that requires additional whitelisting after clicking Disable restrictions for this tab.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:60.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/60.0
Swamp Yankee

Post by Swamp Yankee »

I don't mind the new icons, I understand them, but why did you flip flop the positions of the 2 that were originally there on the right side? 'Temporarily Allow the entire page' was always on the far right, directly below the NoScript icon in the toolbar. It was easy, Click, drop straight down, Temporarily Allow the entire page. Not anymore. It took me a couple minutes to figure out after the update 'Why isn't it working anymore?'....................OHHH :o you flip-flopped the Icons to mess with my brain...Now its click, drop down, move one space to the left..............................Why mess with my brain?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:60.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/60.0
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Post by Giorgio Maone »

Swamp Yankee wrote:I don't mind the new icons, I understand them, but why did you flip flop the positions of the 2 that were originally there on the right side? 'Temporarily Allow the entire page' was always on the far right, directly below the NoScript icon in the toolbar. It was easy, Click, drop straight down, Temporarily Allow the entire page. Not anymore. It took me a couple minutes to figure out after the update 'Why isn't it working anymore?'....................OHHH :o you flip-flopped the Icons to mess with my brain...Now its click, drop down, move one space to the left..............................Why mess with my brain?
You can drag and drop them wherever you want, did you notice?
David_L

Post by David_L »

Giorgio Maone wrote:You can drag and drop them wherever you want, did you notice?
Is that in 10.1.8.1, or only in 10.1.8.2 (Development version)?
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:60.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/60.0
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Post by Giorgio Maone »

10.1.8.2 is the AMO stable version now.
David_L

Post by David_L »

Giorgio Maone wrote:10.1.8.2 is the AMO stable version now.
Thanks. I just upgraded to it. :)
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:60.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/60.0
Swamp Yankee

Post by Swamp Yankee »

Giorgio Maone wrote:
Swamp Yankee wrote:I don't mind the new icons, I understand them, but why did you flip flop the positions of the 2 that were originally there on the right side? 'Temporarily Allow the entire page' was always on the far right, directly below the NoScript icon in the toolbar. It was easy, Click, drop straight down, Temporarily Allow the entire page. Not anymore. It took me a couple minutes to figure out after the update 'Why isn't it working anymore?'....................OHHH :o you flip-flopped the Icons to mess with my brain...Now its click, drop down, move one space to the left..............................Why mess with my brain?
You can drag and drop them wherever you want, did you notice?
Updating to 10.1.8.2 the drag and drop works. Thank You.

The only other little annoyance I have is when you do click on the 'Temporarily Allow the entire page', the page does auto reload, but I have to click on the open page to get the drop down box to disappear.
Clicking on the 'Revoke temporary permissions' the page automatically reloads and the drop down box automatically disappears.
Thanks again.
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Post by Giorgio Maone »

Swamp Yankee wrote: The only other little annoyance I have is when you do click on the 'Temporarily Allow the entire page', the page does auto reload, but I have to click on the open page to get the drop down box to disappear.
This is entirely intentional, to cope with the single most common complaint about "Set all on this page to Temorary TRUSTED", which is that you something need to reiterate it multiple times as new script sources get dynamically added to the page by scripts you've just allowed to run.
Try to use it on https://maone.net/ with neither maone.net, twitter.com or twimg.com in set to TRUSTED to understand what I mean: rather than having to move your pointer and/or click 6 times (the toolbar icon and the "Allow all" command) like it happened in NoScript 5, you just need to wait the page to reload, showing the new script sources in the already opened popup, and click again in the same place you've already your pointer at, twice.
Swamp Yankee

Post by Swamp Yankee »

Giorgio Maone wrote:
Swamp Yankee wrote: The only other little annoyance I have is when you do click on the 'Temporarily Allow the entire page', the page does auto reload, but I have to click on the open page to get the drop down box to disappear.
This is entirely intentional, to cope with the single most common complaint about "Set all on this page to Temorary TRUSTED", which is that you something need to reiterate it multiple times as new script sources get dynamically added to the page by scripts you've just allowed to run.
Try to use it on https://maone.net/ with neither maone.net, twitter.com or twimg.com in set to TRUSTED to understand what I mean: rather than having to move your pointer and/or click 6 times (the toolbar icon and the "Allow all" command) like it happened in NoScript 5, you just need to wait the page to reload, showing the new script sources in the already opened popup, and click again in the same place you've already your pointer at, twice.
I just realized that scenario playing with it. Thanks Again.