Are Pale Moon users out of luck?

Ask for help about NoScript, no registration needed to post
Allesok

Re: Are Pale Moon users out of luck?

Post by Allesok »

My reason for preferring Pale Moon - now - is that Firefox dropped a hell of a lot of extensions - some useful, some very useful, others less, some much less...
Much water will flow down the rivers until almost all good "legacy" extensions are converted to Web Extensions or replaced by such.
Solution: Install an older Firefox in a portable version (that will not be updated) - or switch to Pale Moon. Or an alternative Firefox clone?

Dropping lots of useful extensions made many drop Firefox...
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:52.9) Gecko/20100101 Goanna/3.4 Firefox/52.9 PaleMoon/27.9.1
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

Allesok, did you see my reply to your previous post?
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-
therube
Ambassador

Post by therube »

until almost all good "legacy" extensions are converted to Web Extensions or replaced by such
But is far more then that.
The entire webextension "extension" ecosystem has changed, so comparable functionality may never be attained.
And even lost, subverted, https://forums.informaction.com/viewtop ... 10&t=24374. Does NoScript 10 have shortcut keys?

Until.
Yeah, until. Where is FlashGot? DownThemAll initially said (& probably rightfully so), screw you. Then said he may come out with a "limited" version. And then there were plenty that never will be converted/replaced. Yep until. And we all know what a "replacement" may bring. Even now, we have a slew of "replacements" (webextensions) out there that are all but nefarious.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball NoScript FlashGot AdblockPlus
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/52.0 SeaMonkey/2.49.3 Lightning/5.4
therube
Ambassador

Post by therube »

(@b, I don't think he's looking for a replacement.)
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball NoScript FlashGot AdblockPlus
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/52.0 SeaMonkey/2.49.3 Lightning/5.4
The-unknown-user

Post by The-unknown-user »

I fail to see what the big deal is. NoScript will install in Pale Moon and works just the same as before. I still have NS on my wife's computer and also my son's computer and in spite of what some people are saying, it doesn't get disabled when you restart the browser.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:3.4) Gecko/20100101 Goanna/20180505 PaleMoon/27.9.1
Will Pittenger

Post by Will Pittenger »

The-unknown-user wrote:I fail to see what the big deal is. NoScript will install in Pale Moon and works just the same as before. I still have NS on my wife's computer and also my son's computer and in spite of what some people are saying, it doesn't get disabled when you restart the browser.
PM tries to convince users to disable it. However, it won't disable NoScript without user approval--yet.
Will Pittenger
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:52.9) Gecko/20100101 Goanna/3.4 Firefox/52.9 PaleMoon/27.9.1
The-unknown-user

Will Pittenger wrote:
PM tries to convince users to disable it.
And that is because unsavvy users will post NS problems in PM's forums instead of here.
However, it won't disable NoScript without user approval--yet.
Are you implying it will in the future?
Last edited by barbaz on Sun May 13, 2018 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary snarky question. Let's keep the tone at a reasonable level, thanks.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:3.4) Gecko/20100101 Goanna/20180505 PaleMoon/27.9.1
Allesok

Post by Allesok »

It is obvious that Firefox Quantum is not (yet) very popular because of lost extensions, and that is one reason for using Pale Moon - so far.
The NoScript "crisis" is annoying! There is a extension for various browses called ScriptSafe. Can it be used in Pale Moon?
Or maybe some programming angel could adapt it to Pale Moon?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:52.9) Gecko/20100101 Goanna/3.4 Firefox/52.9 PaleMoon/27.9.1
Will Pittenger

Post by Will Pittenger »

Allesok wrote:There is a extension for various browses called ScriptSafe. Can it be used in Pale Moon?
Doesn't look like it. AMO gives me a "Install Firefox" button.
Allesok wrote:Or maybe some programming angel could adapt it to Pale Moon?
No idea. Ask in the PM extension forum.
Will Pittenger
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:52.9) Gecko/20100101 Goanna/3.4 Firefox/52.9 PaleMoon/27.9.1
The-unknown-user

Allesok wrote:
The NoScript "crisis" is annoying! There is a extension for various browses called ScriptSafe. Can it be used in Pale Moon?
Or maybe some programming angel could adapt it to Pale Moon?
Since you're posting this in the NoScript forum I assume you use NoScript. What's so annoying? Just untick the warning box and continue on as before. I'm still using it on two other computers and it works just like it did before.
Compression Artifact

Post by Compression Artifact »

Allesok wrote:There is a extension for various browses called ScriptSafe.
Last November during the Firefox extension breakage I tried ScriptSafe on Chrome and rejected it; but I don't remember the reason. In fact, I rejected Chrome itself because I could not find a suitable NoScript alternative in the Chrome catalog (and I tried all that I could find).

I just installed ScriptSafe in SlimJet (a Chrome variant) a few moments ago to try it again. I went to a couple of sites that pointlessly depend on JavaScript; and they break in exactly the same way as they would with NoScript (until one whitelists the proper things). I don't see what a port of ScriptSafe to Pale Moon would accomplish, at least in terms of making Pale Moon management happy.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:60.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/60.0
fungalart

Post by fungalart »

I have installed waterfox from git and It seems just like ff57, I can't tell or see the difference but it is there.
Other than this I don't see what the options are, even esr is going down the tubes (the marketing corporate tubes) and it would be a sad day for linux/bsd-unixlike systems to be really cut off from the web in terms of freedom and openness which don't really seem to exist anymore.

For unrelated issues I took a look at the latest of Xorg board of directors and I got a headache. It seems as if 6-7 corporations bought linux and run away with it.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:52.9) Gecko/20100101 Goanna/3.4 Firefox/52.9 PaleMoon/27.9.1
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

fungalart wrote:For unrelated issues I took a look at the latest of Xorg board of directors and I got a headache. It seems as if 6-7 corporations bought linux and run away with it.
This thread is only about A) whether/how people using Pale Moon can continue to use NoScript in future, and B) Pale Moon soft-blocking NoScript. Let's stay on topic here. Thanks.
-
therube
Ambassador

Post by therube »

the_unknown_user wrote:it doesn't get disabled when you restart the browser
Oh, but I think it does, actually.

Open a new Profile.
Close it.
Reopen.
Install NoScript 5.x.
Restart PM.

NoScript is disabled.

At least that is the way it worked out for me.
(I'm pretty sure those were the steps.)
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.49.3
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

For me, installing NoScript in a new Pale Moon profile resulted in NoScript disabled by default, whereas in an existing profile I was prompted to disable NoScript and could choose not to.
-