Flashgot lost its ability to download from youtube

Ask for help about FlashGot, no registration needed to post
TalonKarrde

Flashgot lost its ability to download from youtube

Post by TalonKarrde »

I'm using the latest Flashgot (1.5.6.14) on Firefox 52 ESR.

For some time now I can not get any youtube download. In the past, Flashgot used to offer a secondary menu with the various formats and resolutions the particular YT page offered. This submenu is gone - I only get the option to get separate mp4 and m4a downloads of an audio and a (soundless) video track in the primary menu that appears when I right-click on the media download icon.

Is there something I can do to fix this beyond waiting for a bug fix (hopefully to arrive in autumn)?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/52.0
FlashGotter

Re: Flashgot lost its ability to download from youtube

Post by FlashGotter »

Workarounds with a player that will play both files concurrently:

Try VLC. Search in their forums and in their wiki documentation. Plenty of 'Media' menu options for
this kind of playback in their UI.
If you're lucky VLC will also convert both to a single file. It's a bit hit and miss if you aren't a video geek,
but it does have the tools if you want to spend the time learning.

For a better and more complete solution there is mkvtoolnix. I believe there's a windows version now.
This involves you converting the video to matroska - pretty simple - and from there the application has
tools to combine audio with the .mkv file for a keeper.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/52.0
therube
Ambassador

Post by therube »

Confirmed.
(I was going to say something some time back, but then thought, why?)

I will note, that the... what was it now... ? ... perhaps that flashgot.media.Youtube.* prefs differed between a new & existing Profile (though not that the new Profile did any better on Youtube).
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball NoScript FlashGot AdblockPlus
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.49.2
GrumpyOldNan

Post by GrumpyOldNan »

Howdy therube, long time :)

Sniffing media's all changed with ggle enforcing scripting before it will even display its home page, much less
load files for html player. Giorgio's got a task ahead.
It annoys me that I'm forced to run the youtb player before I can lift an audio file with FG, but since most audio
doesn't exactly break the bandwidth bank, a double dl isn't so bad.

Youtb is as much of a minefield for the casual visitor (ie naked and no ggle whitelist) as ggle now, with default auto displays of stupid choices made by geo-ip and auto playing endlessly if you don't remember to toggle the follow-on button before you get called away from the desk.
Bookmarklet searching is a must for me now.
therube
Ambassador

Post by therube »

Bookmarklet searching is a must for me now.
Just don't look to use your bookmarklets in FF 59.
While they will work, you now have to Allow the top-level domain first, which contradicts, well, everything.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball NoScript FlashGot AdblockPlus
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/52.0 SeaMonkey/2.49.3 Lightning/5.4
GrumpyOldN

Post by GrumpyOldN »

have to Allow the top-level domain first, which contradicts, well, everything.
Indeed, I'm talking about an actual real client-included browser space, not a zombie clickfest.
I see that ESR's eol has been extended yet again; haha, reminiscent of MS with XP.
FGot still makes good work of sniffing on sites I'm interested in, not mainstream media ones, so
I'm not so upset about staying with it for the time being.

Also, I noted from sampling a couple of pages, that the webm video files from gargle are matroska-ready, so using the mkvtoolnix converter/muxer thingy is instantaneous and needs no tweaking.