NoScript v10: Removing websites - an idea.

Ask for help about NoScript, no registration needed to post
aleister

NoScript v10: Removing websites - an idea.

Post by aleister »

I would like to discuss or propose a little customization in the "Options..." window. Generally it's about websites. Let's see:

Now, if user want to remove a website from a list, he have to click NoScript icon, next "Options...", next check "Debug" option and in the "Policy" window, mark and remove that un-needed website. I think, that this is quite a difficult solution especially for a novice users. If, there will be - for example - a "Remove" button/option (please see an examples below), everything should become much simpler and easier. For all users... Just as it is now with website adding: if user wants to add a website, he needs to simply enter a website address and click plus/+ button. And that's it. Website is on the list.

So, here is (apart from "NoScript v10: customizability of the popup window - ideas" thread) my next idea. (NOTE: it's an example for just two websites and it shows NoScript "Options..." window, where websites, added by the user are listed etc.)

Site Permissions
Search or add a web site: https://noscript.net_______________________________________________[ + ]
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
(S) S S ((S) UNTRUSTED ) S...........................cdnjs.cloudflare.com...................................[Remove] |
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(S) S S ((S) UNTRUSTED ) S.............................ajax.aspnetcdn.com..................................[Remove] |
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------'

NOTE: if it's about a "Remove" button/option it it can look like this: [✗] -- an icon instead of a text (see an example below) on each website on the list, of course. But it depends on Mr Maone decision.

As we can see, there are examples for just two websites with "UNTRUSTED" settings. It's an example. Nothing more, nothing less. There are dots also, which are in two colors: white and gray. If You look on the "Options... window, websites have backgrounds in these colors etc. (At least in Linux). I've had to use "..." because without <code></code> tags I can not make a bigger distance with spacebar etc. to create a long blank spaces as it is in the NoScript "Options..." window, and so on.

What I mean is - let say - a websites "long bar" with all NoScript options ("DEFAULT", "TRUSTED" etc.) which is pretty long. And with <code></code> tags I can not use colors, boldings etc. And I think, it looks just way better with all these "small improvements" (color, bold), instead with <code></code> tags.

So, generally my idea/request is about adding a "Remove" or [] button to easily remove websites from an "Options..." window list. There can be also an option to make a website Temporary (see "[Make temporary]" button), but I don't know if it's a good idea. However, please see below:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
(S) S S ((S) UNTRUSTED ) S...........................cdnjs.cloudflare.com...................................[✗] [Make temp.] |
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(S) S S ((S) UNTRUSTED ) S.............................ajax.aspnetcdn.com..................................[✗] [Make temp.] |
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------'

One more thing: [Make temp.] button does not have to be together with the [✗] button, of course. But next to the [✗], there may be another an interesting option related to the websites (behavior?) or something like that. But that's just an idea. They are just a freely thoughts...

So, what do you think about this idea? I hope, that I managed to present it in an understandable way. If not, I'm sorry.

Thanks.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/52.0
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Re: NoScript v10: Removing websites - an idea.

Post by Giorgio Maone »

To remove an item you just need to set it to DEFAULT.
Next time you open either the popup or the Options page it's gone.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:57.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/57.0
aleister

Post by aleister »

Hello Mr Maone. Yes, that's true. But wouldn't it be easier if there, for example, a "Remove" or [✗] button will be available for every website? Just one click and website is removed. The way, which You have mentioned requires more user action etc. If there will be an option or button the user will see immediately removed website.

Thanks, best regards.
Pansa

Post by Pansa »

aleister wrote:Hello Mr Maone. Yes, that's true. But wouldn't it be easier if there, for example, a "Remove" or [✗] button will be available for every website? Just one click and website is removed. The way, which You have mentioned requires more user action etc. If there will be an option or button the user will see immediately removed website.

Thanks, best regards.
It is one click to remove a page either way.
The "default" button is literally the X you are looking for.

The fact that it stays listed as default until reload, is a safeguard to undo the action.

If you open the page you just defaulted in another tab, it is already exhibiting default behavior. (which you can see in the debug output. On click the page gets removed from the rule sets.)
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:57.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/57.0
Skeezix

Post by Skeezix »

Pansa wrote: It is one click to remove a page either way.
The "default" button is literally the X you are looking for.

The fact that it stays listed as default until reload, is a safeguard to undo the action.
Well, that's another thing I've read about but didn't just "click" with me, and another thing I now don't have to sweat about! :D

Thanks again!
* HP Pavilion Desktop 510-p114
* Windows 10 Home 22H2 19045.3208
* Firefox 115.0.2 Thunderbird 112.13.0
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:57.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/57.0
aleister

Post by aleister »

Hi Pansa. "The "default" button is literally the X you are looking for." - yes, but what about other users? Say beginners. But do they know about it? I think, that most of the users, probably, would like to have a visible option to remove websites etc. I'm thinking about users who are not registered or don't write posts on this forum as a guest and only update NoScript to the new available version.

By the way: maybe this idea and that one mentioned in "NoScript v10: customizability of the popup window - ideas" thread
(NOTE: I can not add a link to this thread because of such message [1]) can be available, for example, in NoScript v10 Development version? For example: from v10.1.6.4rc4 version to the final v10.1.6.4 Release. And if in the meantime, users will be unhappy then nothing will be changed, of course.

What do You think, Mr Maone? I think, that it's a good way to check for users opinions etc. We have to remember, that the most NoScript users does not write posts on this forum, so we don't know their opinions really.

Thanks.
_______
[1] "Ooops, something in your posting triggered my antispam filter... Please use the "Back" button to modify your content and retry." It is happening pretty often. Not only with tags.
aleister

Post by aleister »

I'm sorry for writing post by post, but I can not edit my message as a guest. If it's about: "a safeguard to undo the action" sentence by Pansa: there can be, for example, a popup window with a question and a confirmation about removing website. Something like: "[Are you sure to remove...]" or "[Do you want to remove example.com?]" (for HTTP only webiste) and "[Do you want to remove example.com?]" (for HTTPS website).

Thanks and sorry once again.
Pansa

Post by Pansa »

aleister wrote:I'm sorry for writing post by post, but I can not edit my message as a guest. If it's about: "a safeguard to undo the action" sentence by Pansa: there can be, for example, a popup window with a question and a confirmation about removing website. Something like: "[Are you sure to remove...]" or "[Do you want to remove example.com?]" (for HTTP only webiste) and "[Do you want to remove example.com?]" (for HTTPS website).

Thanks and sorry once again.
So more clicks and a popup. Wasn't the goal to reduce clicks in the beginning?

The current solution works if you think a bit about it.
If you don't want a rule to apply anymore, you set the domain back to default.
And if you are looking at the options, you might notice that no default page is listed there (except the one you just created).

Considering how involved the actual USAGE of this tool is in terms of reading domain names and guessing which you need or don't need, and quite a bit of try and error to boot...
Maybe it isn't that much to ask to observe the UI or ask for help.

And for the people who don't see it... There's the forums and btw a nice instruction thread.
aleister

Post by aleister »

OK, never mind. Forget about everything. However, it's pretty strange to write about something, that we don't even saw or use. But that's only my opinion and I could be wrong. Maybe that's the way how it works? And when it comes to the security and safeguard etc., there are never too many clicks and a popup :- )

Oh, and by the way: "Wasn't the goal to reduce clicks in the beginning?" To be honest, I don't see where it was mentioned. I mean "reducing clicks" and so on. I think, that the main idea was to make it simpler to remove websites. For beginners etc. (Because there is not any information, FAQ or documentation about setting an item to "DEFAULT" if/when user wants to remove website. Or I don't see it.) But that's not matter anymore :- )

Thanks, regards. (If it's about me: EoT.)
Pansa

Post by Pansa »

aleister wrote: I don't see where it was mentioned. I mean "reducing clicks" and so on.
aleister wrote: Hello Mr Maone. Yes, that's true. But wouldn't it be easier if there, for example, a "Remove" or [✗] button will be available for every website? Just one click and website is removed. The way, which You have mentioned requires more user action etc.
But yes, the FAQ is outdate, and not everybody finds the links to the basic guide in the forums.
https://forums.informaction.com/viewtop ... =7&t=23974

As I understand it, it is linked somewhere, but I haven't checked in a while.