New UI usability

General discussion about the NoScript extension for Firefox
cliffberg

New UI usability

Post by cliffberg »

I found the old UI more usable in that I could click on the NoScript icon, and then select the domains that I wanted to enable one after another, in a series of quick actions; my selections were temporary. With the new UI, I have to open each Custom setting, the click on the resource category (e.g., Script). It is finer grained control, but more cumbersome, and the settings are permanent, which is not what I want because many domains are general resources such as AJAX or a Google framework, and I don't want to set permanent access to those because they are also used by malicious sites. To make a setting temporary, I have to separately click the clock icon. I find that the new UI requires many more steps and time. I preferred the old UI. I wonder if the old UI could be resurrected?
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.11; rv:58.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/58.0
barbaz

Re: New UI usability

Post by barbaz »

May I suggest you're not using the new UI in the most efficient way for what you want.

To Temporarily allow a site, just set it to Temp. Trusted (assuming you're using NoScript 10.1.6.2 or later). It's one click per site, same as before.

As for resurrecting the old UI, unfortunately is not technically possible in WebExtensions.
https://hackademix.net/2017/12/04/noscr ... utshell-2/
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-
Pansa

Post by Pansa »

cliffberg wrote:I found the old UI more usable in that I could click on the NoScript icon, and then select the domains that I wanted to enable one after another, in a series of quick actions; my selections were temporary. With the new UI, I have to open each Custom setting, the click on the resource category (e.g., Script). It is finer grained control, but more cumbersome, and the settings are permanent, which is not what I want because many domains are general resources such as AJAX or a Google framework, and I don't want to set permanent access to those because they are also used by malicious sites. To make a setting temporary, I have to separately click the clock icon. I find that the new UI requires many more steps and time. I preferred the old UI. I wonder if the old UI could be resurrected?
Temporary custom rules are achieved by toggle of the clock icon on the right of the custom field.

If you want to emulate the old NS behavior, changing the domains to trusted is the more advisable approach anyway (temp trusted that is)
The old NS basically moved everything to temp trusted anyway, because the fine-grain control didn't exist.
If you want "trusted" to be more limited, you can change the rules for what trusted means to you in the same way that you can for "custom" just for all trusted sites at once (in the options)

So you have the options to create you personal "trusted" definition you can move the bulk of the domains into with one click, thus removing most of the workload of configuring custom rules.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:57.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/57.0
bo elam

Post by bo elam »

cliffberg wrote:I found the old UI more usable in that I could click on the NoScript icon, and then select the domains that I wanted to enable one after another, in a series of quick actions; my selections were temporary.
You can do exactly the same in version 10. In fact, you can use version 10 identically as you used version 5, you just have to find your way on how to do it. Thats what I did, immediately after upgrading Firefox and NoScript to 10, I looked for the steps I was used to using in the old version and found them all. They might not look the same or in some cases be called the same but they are the same. No difference.

Bo
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:57.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/57.0
cliffberg

Post by cliffberg »

Indeed, I was not using the new version correctly. Now that I know how to, it is as convenient as the old version! Nice!
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.11; rv:59.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/59.0