NoScript and Wikis

Ask for help about NoScript, no registration needed to post
Windthin

NoScript and Wikis

Post by Windthin »

I seem to have run into an issue with wikis; the main Wikipedia works, but others keep freezing up unless I temporarily allow all, and I can't figure out what script it is that is missing or needs activating.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:57.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/57.0
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Re: NoScript and Wikis

Post by Giorgio Maone »

Could you provide some example URLs? Thanks!
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:57.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/57.0
Windthin

Post by Windthin »

I can. Try these:

http://dusk.wikia.com/wiki/Garou_Recognizing_Kinfolk

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Snoke

http://supernatural.wikia.com/wiki/Supernatural_Wiki

If I allow all scripts temporarily, I can see if. Otherwise, I get this message:

Something interfered with this website loading
This could be a temporary problem with your network, or due to your adblocker

Try:

Check your internet connection and reload the page
If you are using an adblocker disable it by clicking on the adblock icon in your browser toolbar
If the problem persists, consider leaving a message on the adblock user forums
I've tried turning my adblocker off, and anyhow, it clearly seems to be script-related, and something that only began recently; previously i was having no issues. It's something with the most recent update.
Pansa

Post by Pansa »

These all "work fine" even with nothing trusted.
I should say that I have my defaults set to "all checkmarks off" though.

The "something interfered" message pops up when you allow "nocookie.net" but block some of the things that script checks for.
As long as I don't allow that one, I can almost turn anything on or off without problems.

@Gorgio:

I am starting to begin to suspect that quite a few pages don't like the clean install default settings.
I don't know what specifically, but most of the recent "the page doesn't work" posts I can't replicate even when I don't even temp trust ANYTHING on them.
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

Windthin wrote:If I allow all scripts temporarily, I can see if
So why not just start with that and work backwards? If you do that on your second link, you will discover that you need to set adumen.com to Trusted.

BTW, I couldn't reproduce the notice without un-checking everything under Default. If you didn't deliberately change it, you might want to check your settings for the Default preset -

1) Open NoScript Options

2) Set a Trusted site to Default by clicking the Default icon. Note: If you reload or leave the Options page while a listed site is set to Default, the site will disappear from the Options page.

3) Click the Default label. You will see a list of checkboxes. Here are default settings, for reference - https://forums.informaction.com/viewtop ... 387#p93387

4) Set the site back to Trusted.
Pansa wrote:most of the recent "the page doesn't work" posts I can't replicate even when I don't even temp trust ANYTHING on them.
Yes, because these posts have all been about anti-adblock.

Obtrusive anti-adblock requires active content. If you block all scripts, the obtrusive anti-adblock cannot run. But most of these sites don't fully work without scripts allowed, so it's generally a choice between allowing whatever it needs, or finding a different site.
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-
Windthin

Post by Windthin »

Interesting. Allowing that one script made all three work. I'd ignored it previously because when I looked it up I thought it was just another advertising site that I could ignore.
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

Windthin wrote:Interesting. Allowing that one script made all three work.
Cool, thanks for letting us know. :)
Windthin wrote:I'd ignored it previously because when I looked it up I thought it was just another advertising site that I could ignore.
When dealing with this type of anti-adblock, don't assume you can ignore all the advertising sites.
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-