How to allow top level domains in NoScript 10 (Quantum)?

Ask for help about NoScript, no registration needed to post
8-bit

Re: How to allow top level domains in NoScript 10 (Quantum)?

Post by 8-bit »

FranL wrote:Are you giving a workaround to a bug or describing how it should work? If the latter, it seems backwards to me. I assume the "..." prefix is meant to imply sub-domains (as well as the primary domain). So the absence of the "..." prefix must mean "no sub-domains — just this primary domain". Please correct me if my assumptions are wrong.
Not a workaround, because there is no bug to workaround. When typing it in the domain field on the master preferences page, you do not prefix the domain with "..." NS will automatically add it when it is on the list, but when adding it manually via the domain field do not prefix it with "..." - Only type cloudfront.net - you do not even need to prefix it with http(s)://

Please provide a site you are having problems with, and I will be happy to test it on my system.
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.13; rv:57.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/57.0
Tomatix

Post by Tomatix »

NYCgirl wrote:No Solution Yet

Thanks for your suggestions and references. I tried all of them, but there's no solution yet:
I didn't see a solution in any of the threads mentioned
It was only one thread referenced so far (2(+1) times).

What you want is not possible by design. It's a feature, not a bug.
The "other thread" tries to explain why:
https://forums.informaction.com/viewtop ... =15#p93703
NYCgirl wrote: https://ibb.co/ke7pFG
Could you provide the name of that or a similar site for testing?
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:57.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/57.0
NYCgirl

Post by NYCgirl »

Try Trello.com, which is a project management software http://ibb.co/nAvKbb. To display content, they link to Cloudfront.net. I'd like to turn that site, with all of its subdomains, into a trusted site

(sorry for the delay in response)
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:57.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/57.0
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Post by Giorgio Maone »

Please check latest dev build, thanks.

Code: Select all

v 10.1.6.3rc1
=============================================================
x Domain matching now works also for manually entered TLDs
  and pseudo-TLDs, such as "gov.us" or "cloudflare.net"
NYCgirl

Post by NYCgirl »

Thanks for the quick response! I'm glad we're moving to resolve this.

But I'm not sure how you'd like us to set the TLD to allow. I tried this: Using "options" I set "...cloudfront.net" as "Trusted" https://ibb.co/ctcfHG . But when I load a website that uses cloudfront.net subdomains, they are still "Default" https://ibb.co/egsY4w. This is exactly how it was before I installed the RC1.

What do you think?
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Post by Giorgio Maone »

NYCgirl wrote:Thanks for the quick response! I'm glad we're moving to resolve this.

But I'm not sure how you'd like us to set the TLD to allow. I tried this: Using "options" I set "...cloudfront.net" as "Trusted" https://ibb.co/ctcfHG .
You mean you entered "...cloudfront.net" (with the leading dots) literally? You're not supposed to (and it wouldn't match anything)*. Just enter "cloudfront.net" (and possibly turn the lock to green, so the matching is limited to HTTPS resources only).

*in RC2 I'm gonna add an input validation rule against extra leading and trailing dots to avoid this counfusion
FranL

Post by FranL »

Giorgio Maone wrote:You mean you entered "...cloudfront.net" (with the leading dots) literally? You're not supposed to (and it wouldn't match anything)*. Just enter "cloudfront.net" [...].

*in RC2 I'm gonna add an input validation rule against extra leading and trailing dots to avoid this counfusion
Thanks for clarifying this, Giorgio. If the user types the leading dots when manually adding domains, there's a subtle difference in the rendering of the domain name. For example, if I manually add "...xyzzy.net" (incorrect) and "xyzzy.net" (correct), and I see this (zoomed for clarity):

Note the difference in how the dots are rendered.
Anyone who has entries like the first one above should fix them.

UPDATE: Unfortunately, the rendering difference isn't as visible (or maybe doesn't exist at all) when the lock is green and the domain names are black, so the best way to find such incorrectly-typed domain names is to enter "..." in the text box, which causes the Options page to isolate only those domains which contain the user-typed dots.
NYCgirl

Post by NYCgirl »

I removed the "..." and entered "www.cloudfront.net". The problem is solved! NoScript now trusts the subdomains of cloudfront.net, and doens't show me a list of dozens of subdomains that have to be approved each time.

You should know that other users may be using the "..." (which is called "ellipsis"). When testing in mid-December, using ellipsis was the only way to enter a domain without "www". If I attempted "cloudfront.net", the plus sign would remain greyed out.
Hand

Post by Hand »

I have this problem with:

github.io
googleapis.com
cloudfront.net
gov.xx (xx is the country)

Allowing domains other than the ones above, the subdomains are allowed.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux i686; rv:57.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/57.0
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Post by Giorgio Maone »

Hand wrote:I have this problem with:

github.io
googleapis.com
cloudfront.net
gov.xx (xx is the country)

Allowing domains other than the ones above, the subdomains are allowed.
This should be fixed now: if you want to shoot yourself in your foot (these domains are way too broad, that's why the public suffixes list has them as TLDs) you can just enter them as they are in the NoScript Options "Add / search site" text box and hit the [+] button.