NoScript 10 Permissions

Ask for help about NoScript, no registration needed to post

NoScript 10 Permissions

Post by Guest »

I didn't want to make a new thread just for a small question and this one seems to be gaining traction as a catch-all for questions regarding the new version so I thought I'd just post it here quickly to see (hope that's ok.)

I was just wondering if it's normal to give the new noscript access to all these things it's asking for on installation - I guess they were things which it had anyway before webextensions changed the system but I just wanted to check to make sure I'm downloading the right thing.

*Access data for all web sites
*Read and modify privacy settings
*Access browser tabs
*Store unlimited amounts of client-side data
*Access browser activity during navigation

Sorry for the silly question, I can see why it would need access to these things butI've never seen them with a firefox installation before (guess it's the new system) and it's worded a bit ominous.

Thanks!
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:57.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/57.0
Arkonor

Please, explain why you ask those permissions

Post by Arkonor »

One of the things that modern mobile apps and FF Quantum add-ons makes me more worried about are permissions. I know that in many cases they ask you to grant them for a justified reason, although few times I've seen any developer explaining why they are requiring them (in fact, just once) Probably there's no difference between what this add-on can and cannot do in comparaison with older FF versions, but still I'd feel better about my privacy if they explained why they are requiring things such as "access to privacy configuration", and the ever-present permission to "access your data in all the websites" (it could be used as a key logger, but I'm not saying it's the case here)
Last edited by Arkonor on Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
barbaz

Re: NoScript 10 Permissions

Post by barbaz »

Threads merged.
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-
Arkonor

Post by Arkonor »

barbaz wrote:Threads merged.
Thank you

I've been reading something about this (not about FF but Chrome, but the principle remains the same)

https://stefanheule.com/blog/posts/2015 ... b-browser/
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Post by Giorgio Maone »

Guest wrote: *Access data for all web sites
NoScript needs to inject content scripts inside each page to create placeholder for replaced elements. Once a script run inside a page, can access all its data.
Guest wrote: *Read and modify privacy settings
NoScript needs it to tighten them.
Guest wrote: *Access browser tabs
Same as above, in order to decide what to block it needs to know which site is navigated.
Guest wrote: *Store unlimited amounts of client-side data
Whitelists / blacklists can grow considerably...
Guest wrote: *Access browser activity during navigation
This is for webRequest, the main API allowing NoScript to analyze load attempts and block the unwanted ones.
Guest wrote: Sorry for the silly question, I can see why it would need access to these things butI've never seen them with a firefox installation before (guess it's the new system) and it's worded a bit ominous.
Still, if it was a Youtube skin or some flowered theme claiming to need those permissions, I'd like to know in advance ;)
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:57.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/57.0

Post by Guest »

Hi Signore Maone, for the last update (NoScript version 10.1.5.7, I assume) Firefox asks me for the following permissions:

[*]Download files
[*]Read and change download log

Thanks a lot for all your good work making our browsing experience safer and giving us the power to choose to avoid unwanted content.

Please explain why NoScript needs those additional rights.
Makes my stomach churn if a software could download anything and then hide its tracks. I'm pretty sure you won't send us any "makezombie.exe", "passscan.com" or "keyhook.exe" without asking... ;)
But still, with all respect, you shouldn't be able too.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; Win64; x64; rv:57.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/57.0
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

Guest wrote:for the last update (NoScript version 10.1.5.7, I assume) Firefox asks me for the following permissions:

[*]Download files
[*]Read and change download log
https://forums.informaction.com/viewtop ... =7&t=24138
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-

Post by Guest »

Giorgio Maone wrote:
Guest wrote:The download related permissions are needed for the new settings import/export feature.
This :) WebExtensions cannot interact with the local filesystem, except for user driven uploads and downloads, and for the latter this permission is required.
Couldn't tell that from the way Firefox asks for these permissions.
Sounded quite suspicious, at least in German.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; Win64; x64; rv:57.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/57.0