Beginner question about blocking "play" with youtube(v. 10)

General discussion about the NoScript extension for Firefox
GIORGIO_IS_GREAT

Beginner question about blocking "play" with youtube(v. 10)

Post by GIORGIO_IS_GREAT »

For neurotic reasons I keep a huge number of sessions in Firefox; they're like a "to do" list, and there might be 6 youtubes. Yes, I could properly "queue" them for "watch later" but this is my technique.

On prior NS versions I whitelisted youtube.com, but did not whitelist googlevideo.com (which showed up, and still does, a few lines down from the top of the sites shown when I'm on a youtube video webpage). That way, after starting FX, I could go to the red notification bell and navigate to videos and comment, but they wouldn't play (also relaxing resource drain and presumably load time), which is what I wanted. When I actually wanted to play a video(s), I would temporarily allow googlevideo.com, which was fine. I don't want them to play until I green light googlevideo.com.

How do I do that now? I have opened up youtube.com, but left googlevideo.com as default (which for me is frame and fetch only); but videos play anyway. Can I stop videos from playing, while trusting or custom permitting scripts for youtube.com, and blocking googlevideo.com?

Forgive me. I'm having some challenges understanding the "top level" aspects of NS which I gather that this falls under.
All NoScript is outstanding. :) :)
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:57.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/57.0
barbaz

Re: Beginner question about blocking "play" with youtube(v.

Post by barbaz »

You need to disable the "fetch" permission from Default.
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-
GIORGIO_IS_GREAT

Post by GIORGIO_IS_GREAT »

Yep, that's it. I'd like to upvote your extremely useful and on point responses!
All NoScript is outstanding. :) :)
Tree

Post by Tree »

With NoScript Classic, when setup to only allow Script/Fetch on whitelisted sites, it would block A/V from loading automatically with the NoScript placeholder over the blocked media and require a click to allow the audio and video. Is there a way to setup NoScript 10 to mimic that for ...Googlevideo?

Right now I have the green lock ...Googlevideo set to Custom Permanent and just Fetch but that allows it to play automatically as stated above. Is there a permanent method to achieve the click to play that NoScript Classic had or should I remove a permanent ...Googlevideo and then just temporarily allow ...Googlevideo with Fetch when needed?

I was reluctant to remove the Custom Permanent for ...Googlevideo to experiment with it as I don't know how to then add a ... site like ...Googlevideo back as a green lock whitelisted site.

Thank you.
bo elam

Post by bo elam »

Tree wrote:I was reluctant to remove the Custom Permanent for ...Google video to experiment with it as I don't know how to then add a ... site like ...Googlevideo back as a green lock whitelisted site.
You can go to NoScript Options, and in the list of domains, toggle Google video from Custom to Trusted. Also, clicking ...googlevideo in the NoScript menu will do it.

Bo
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:57.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/57.0