Unknown site and blank page

Ask for help about NoScript, no registration needed to post
Bencyc

Unknown site and blank page

Post by Bencyc »

Let s assume I am on a dubious site A where I click a link to site B.
When I come to the site B it opens in a blank white page.
I click NS icon in the upper right hand corner and see several lines
which are all in default mode. None has script allowed.

What is a safe way to proceed after that? Should I start allowing script from
the top line downwards in custom mode one by one and reloading after every allowance
and see what happens or what??
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:57.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/57.0

Re: Unknown site and blank page

Post by Guest »

Well, if you assume the site is dubious in the first place the only safe thing is not to allow anything.
However if you need/want to use it there's nothing more than (educated) guessing or trying to find info on the web about all the listed domains and allowing only the ones that seem acceptable.
NoScript has no way to recognize itself if a site is malicious or not. That problem stays with the user.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:57.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/57.0
bo elam

Post by bo elam »

Bencyc wrote:Let s assume I am on a dubious site A where I click a link to site B.
When I come to the site B it opens in a blank white page.
I click NS icon in the upper right hand corner and see several lines
which are all in default mode. None has script allowed.

What is a safe way to proceed after that?
If lets say the site is cbssports, you can start by allowing cbssports.com, and see what happens. You have to do a little bit of guessing but you can make smart guesses. If you go to a site at random and you see listed popads.net, you can guess that one out. After a while you become familiar with many of the domains and it becomes easier telling what to allow and what not to. It takes time though, it took me a long time for NoScript to click, but once it did, it was like learning to ride a 2 wheel bike. Once you learn, you wont forget. Its worth it, Bencyc.

Bo
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:57.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/57.0
FranL

Post by FranL »

Bencyc, you can also click on the domain name in the NoScript popup. This will open NoScript's Security and Privacy Info page with links to analysis sites for that domain, where you can find out if the domain is the source of malware, performs tracking, etc. You can also enter the domain name into the page at https://www.mywot.com/ to see what others think of it.

If you worry that you might accidentally trust a domain that is dangerous, you can install the uBlock Origin extension. Its default ad-blocking will go a long way to protecting you from ad-based malware (which is a major malware vector these days).
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:57.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/57.0