New noscript interface

Ask for help about NoScript, no registration needed to post
DLawson

Re: New noscript interface

Post by DLawson »

dontwanttosoundungrateful wrote:The new GUI is on par with uMatrix now.

Extremely unintuitive.
It is temporary, playing catch-up with the Firefox roll-out.
Please i need help, if i browse a website for the first time and i want to allow scripts, i want it to be temporary, without noscript creating an permanent entry in the list.
There has always been an entry in the list for temporary sites. NS simply didn't show you that in some places. If the site is marked temporary-Trusted, that entry is not permanent.
Up until yesterday there was this clock symbol and it looked like it was "temporary" by default.

But now the clock symbol seems to have moved from the right to the left side and i seem to be unabled to even click it. It seems like every single website that i allow is permanently allowed.
I am not seeing a change here. The clock is on the right. It starts out small/dim, which is a permanent setting (as in, the clock is disabled).
Also, in the "settings" page (that offers no settings whatsoever) i miss a simple delete button, a delete button that just removes entries. Without having to set them to disallow or allow.

I just want to quickly remove old entries without a trace, how would i do that?
Set them to Default and refresh the page.
I really hope that this is a rushed core version and we will see something that looks remotely as good as the old noscript in the near future.
I'm not following Giorgio's blog, but others who reference it say this is just the start. Features will be coming back, though some may be redesigned.
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.12; rv:57.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/57.0
Enocerous

Post by Enocerous »

It appears that the new version install/upgrade goes through your bookmarks (and history ?) and enables everything as Trusted.

I found a way to get any or all of these easily set to the Default Untrust.

Open NoScript Options to bring up your NoScript Settings tab, scroll to bottom and select the debug box, then scroll down to the sites: trusted: section.
Now delete any lines, including the double-quotes and comma, of the websites you don't want automatically trusted. If you remove all of them, make sure your trusted line is: "trusted": [],

Now close the NoScript Settings tab. When you open NoScript Options again, all of those sites you removed will not be in the list. Next time you visit a site it will be set to Default Untrust, and you'll have the option to set it to what you want.

Do this at your own risk... this worked great for me, but your mileage may vary.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:57.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/57.0
bobblebob

Post by bobblebob »

This version definitely handles scripts differently. On the old version, a site i visit alot would look weird if i untrusted it (different font, style etc). Now if i untrust the same site it looks and performs the same as if it was trusted

Also the same site can have everything in the Trusted area, yet still a few scripts are blocked. How if everything is trusted and all tick boxes are checked?

Post by Guest »

bobblebob wrote:This version definitely handles scripts differently. On the old version, a site i visit alot would look weird if i untrusted it (different font, style etc). Now if i untrust the same site it looks and performs the same as if it was trusted

Also the same site can have everything in the Trusted area, yet still a few scripts are blocked. How if everything is trusted and all tick boxes are checked?
Please look up "Custom" and make sure the "scripts" box is checked. In its current state, changes to the settings in either Custom or Trusted seem to affect each other. And even though "scripts" is set as default and locked (greyed out) in Trusted mode, it appears to get counteracted when the "scripts" box in "Custom" is unchecked.
bobblebob

Post by bobblebob »

Guest wrote:
bobblebob wrote:This version definitely handles scripts differently. On the old version, a site i visit alot would look weird if i untrusted it (different font, style etc). Now if i untrust the same site it looks and performs the same as if it was trusted

Please look up "Custom" and make sure the "scripts" box is checked. In its current state, changes to the settings in either Custom or Trusted seem to affect each other. And even though "scripts" is set as default and locked (greyed out) in Trusted mode, it appears to get counteracted when the "scripts" box in "Custom" is unchecked.
Everything is ticked under custom, but i dont have any scripts at all running in custom mode
Songo

Post by Songo »

The new GUI is on par with uMatrix now.

Extremely unintuitive.
I am yet to try the new NoScript since I'm still on Firefox 56, but that's amazing news. GUI on par with uMatrix would be very desirable to me, I just plain love uMatrix's UI, that grid is really powerful, gives a transparent view of what's going on, is very flexible, and makes unbreaking sites much easier than the legacy NoScript UI. The syntax for advanced users is also really clear and powerful.

Such a UI in NoScript would also enable better control over the many resources. The legacy UI is very unfriendly towards "blocked objects" UX, which is anything beyond JS permission.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:50.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/50.0
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

Songo wrote:
The new GUI is on par with uMatrix now.

Extremely unintuitive.
I am yet to try the new NoScript since I'm still on Firefox 56, but that's amazing news. GUI on par with uMatrix would be very desirable to me, I just plain love uMatrix's UI,
Err, Songo, did you read beyond the first sentence of the post you quoted? - https://forums.informaction.com/viewtop ... 747#p91747
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-
antipop

Post by antipop »

As I seem to share the collective sense of pain in adjusting to the new UI, I want to try dissecting it piecemeal. When I look at the whitelist, I can see the option to clear the list entirely, but I would like to be able to remove sites individually. How can I do so, if possible? thanks.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:57.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/57.0
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

antipop wrote: When I look at the whitelist, I can see the option to clear the list entirely, but I would like to be able to remove sites individually. How can I do so, if possible? thanks.
Select "Default" for the sites you want to remove, and they will go away when you reload the Options page.
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-
antipop

Post by antipop »

barbaz,

Awesome! It worked. So, would I infer correctly that by clicking on the Default icon of a particular site in the whitelist, I have instructed NoScript to set this individual site back to a global default status of disallowing anything from happening on the site, and, consequently, the site drops off the whitelist altogether? Thanks.
Doughnut

Post by Doughnut »

Giorgio... just sent you $10.00 of encouragement!

All of you who look here should do the same! Go here https://noscript.net/ and look for DONATE link in top right corner to do the same!

Wow, the new UI interface is way too cryptic for me. I really don't have time or the interest in having to study to use the new NS. I never found a need to study before I used the old NS. It was all much more intuitive for my simple mind. I'm going back to old firefox + old NS until I hear the new NS UI is improved.

I'm really missing the ability to easily + temporarily allow, and then revoke temps.

IMHO: At this time, (and realizing there is more to come), I feel that more energy has been spent on making the new UI clever, rather than intuitive.
imgoingdodo

Post by imgoingdodo »

Thought I'd try the new NS again, but I still get a broken addon. Anybody else experiencing this? Would post screenshots, but can't upload images here directly.

NS shows upp in FF's addons list. But the icon never appears in the toolbar. I restart FF >> Addons >> NoScript Options - but the page is empty, save for the NS logo and the tickboxes for "allow scripts globally", "scrubb suspect xss" and "debug". Tried surfing a couple of random pages (news site and a blog) both in normal window and private mode, but they worked as usual, nothing blocked and no sign of NS.

:?:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:57.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/57.0
Marcusboos

Post by Marcusboos »

The new Beata fixes the messedup optics in localized versions (e.g. german) by beeing in englisch
-> https://addons.mozilla.org/de/firefox/a ... sions/beta

default behavior is not very restrictive you can change that in the extension settings, scroll down and tick "debug" inside the texarea change "Default"-section to look like this: (block all)

"DEFAULT": {
"capabilities": [

]
},

untick default when done

*do it at your own risk
KieranWalker

Post by KieranWalker »

Updated to 10.1.2. Most websites are still broken unless Allow Scripts Globally is turned on, even if it is a Trusted site and I've got Trusted set to allow everything. Clicking on Temporarily Allow All This Page 20+ times did not change anything.
notgoingdodoanymore

Post by notgoingdodoanymore »

Marcusboos wrote: default behavior is not very restrictive you can change that in the extension settings, scroll down and tick "debug" inside the texarea change "Default"-section to look like this: (block all)

"DEFAULT": {
"capabilities": [

]
},

untick default when done

*do it at your own risk

^Updated to NS 10.1.2. and it already looks like that. Were you on the earlier version? For my part the previous problems are now gone. Seems to work and block just fine now. The drop-down menu makes a world more sense and affect only the page/tab you're working on. Major improvement!

@KieranWalker In your drop-down menu, even though you'd klicked Allow all this site temporarily - were there still individual URLs with automatically still on Default? (There always are a few.) If so, all you need to do is manually check them as Trusted and then hit the Temporary Clock icon and possibly refresh to get things working.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:57.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/57.0