NoScript 10.1.1 prompts

General discussion about the NoScript extension for Firefox
nz51t

NoScript 10.1.1 prompts

Post by nz51t »

I just installed NoScript 10.1.1, and thanks for that. :)
Felt naked once Mozilla pushed Firefox 57 and NoScript was disabled.

Question with NoScript 10.1.1 though. With prior versions when I went to a site, NoScript would display a prompt at the bottom of the browser where I could choose which sites on a specific page I could allow temporary access. Showed no what NoScript was and wasn't blocking. Starting with 10.1.1 I don't get that prompt to see what scripts are attempting to run where I could allow some of them.

Is that something I need to enable? Or, has that ability been lost with 10.x?

Thanks
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:57.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/57.0
vr8ce

Re: NoScript 10.1.1 prompts

Post by vr8ce »

Ditto. I don't understand the new UI at all.

In addition to what nz51t noted, where is the difference between enabling a site temporarily or permanently?

And, at least on OS X (10.12.6), the close button on the NoScript dialog is a giant red question mark.
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_12_6) AppleWebKit/604.3.5 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/11.0.1 Safari/604.3.5
Aractus

Post by Aractus »

vr8ce wrote:Ditto. I don't understand the new UI at all.

In addition to what nz51t noted, where is the difference between enabling a site temporarily or permanently?

And, at least on OS X (10.12.6), the close button on the NoScript dialog is a giant red question mark.
Yes, I have the same thing on Windows7:

Disabling uBlock Origin makes no difference. In fact disabling all addons made no difference.

To the OP, try uninstalling and reinstalling noscript so it has all the permissions it needs.
nz51t

Post by nz51t »

vr8ce wrote: where is the difference between enabling a site temporarily or permanently?
Temporary access allows access for that browser session only. Once you close the browser then the access is lost. It's like you trust a site a little bit for now. If I got to a site and the page doesn't load correctly and no script tells me there are scripts from multiple urls that want to run scripts I'll I'll temporarily allow access one by one to find just the sites that allow the page to load and everything else is kept blocked. I've seen cases where a news web site wants to run scripts from about 15 other sites.

Once I think I can trust a site, then I give permanent access.

As of now when a site doesn't load correctly I'm having to disable NoScript. Please bring back the old prompts.
paul_S

Post by paul_S »

Kudos to the developer for switching to the WebAPI for extensions. Thank you.

However, I agree with the other posts about the new UI. the new UI is way confusing compared to the old one. I hope this UI matures a lot.

I would like to see a youtube video on how to use the new UI in an efficient manner. I can barely use it currently. not sure how to do many things.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; Win64; x64; rv:57.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/57.0
bo elam

Post by bo elam »

If you want to allow a site temporarily, you need to click the white "Custom" button. Hover the browser over the button so it displays Custom. The Custom button is the one to the right. When you do, a small window opens up, there you click on the clock. That allows the site temporarily.

http://img214.imagevenue.com/img.php?im ... _773lo.jpg

Bo
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:57.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/57.0
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

bo elam wrote:If you want to allow a site temporarily, you need to click the white "Custom" button. Hover the browser over the button so it displays Custom. The Custom button is the one to the right. When you do, a small window opens up, there you click on the clock. That allows the site temporarily.
This also works if you click "Trusted" instead of "Custom".
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-
bo elam

Post by bo elam »

barbaz wrote: This also works if you click "Trusted" instead of "Custom".
That maybe easier.

iliterate

Post by iliterate »

Agree with others, love that version 10.1.1 is out but the UI is horribly confusing for not computer literate people. I have no idea what most of the tiny check boxes even mean. PLEASE, go back to the old UI with ALLOW, FORBID, ALLOW TEMPORARILY.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:57.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/57.0
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

iliterate wrote:PLEASE, go back to the old UI with ALLOW, FORBID, ALLOW TEMPORARILY.
Not technically possible in WebExtensions - https://hackademix.net/2017/11/21/top-i ... ment-38469
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-
nz51t

Post by nz51t »

bo elam wrote:If you want to allow a site temporarily, you need to click the white "Custom" button. Hover the browser over the button so it displays Custom. The Custom button is the one to the right. When you do, a small window opens up, there you click on the clock. That allows the site temporarily.

http://img214.imagevenue.com/img.php?im ... _773lo.jpg

Bo
Everything you're saying is true. However, as far as I know the site list shows all sites where I have some rule outside the defaults. When I go to say yahoo.com it might have 10 or 15 different sites that want to run scripts just from the 1 url. I want to know which sites on a given url are trying to run a script so I can allow only specific sites, something that < v.10.x allowed.
bo elam

Post by bo elam »

nz51t wrote: Everything you're saying is true. However, as far as I know the site list shows all sites where I have some rule outside the defaults. When I go to say yahoo.com it might have 10 or 15 different sites that want to run scripts just from the 1 url. I want to know which sites on a given url are trying to run a script so I can allow only specific sites, something that < v.10.x allowed.
Hi nz51t, as far as I can tell, the Menu shows all sites that want to run scripts, just like it did with version 5. Yesterday, before upgrading Firefox and NoScript in my W7, I compared the menus while visiting a very nasty site that I visit regularly in both computers (my W7 and W10), I had upgraded NoScript in W10 earlier, the difference was maybe one, perhaps two domains.

Take a look. This is the nasty site. After upgrading Firefox/NoScript in my W10, my white list and black list were imported automatically without me doing anything. A while later I visited this site, which requires a lot of work to set it up properly, I did not have to do anything. My settings were imported. In my personal case, I am using NoScript pretty much as I used it in version 5. Look at the pictures, I had to post two pictures to cover the complete menu. The end of the menu starts with sawlive in the second picture. When I first opened the site after upgrading to 10, I didnt have to change anything, the site worked as before.

Bo
HigherPower

Post by HigherPower »

Aractus wrote:
Yes, I have the same thing on Windows7:

I had the same issue but I fixed it: https://forums.informaction.com/viewtop ... 962#p91962
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:57.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/57.0
nz51t

Post by nz51t »

bo elam wrote: Hi nz51t, as far as I can tell, the Menu shows all sites that want to run scripts, just like it did with version 5. Yesterday, before upgrading Firefox and NoScript in my W7, I compared the menus while visiting a very nasty site that I visit regularly in both computers (my W7 and W10), I had upgraded NoScript in W10 earlier, the difference was maybe one, perhaps two domains.

Take a look. This is the nasty site. After upgrading Firefox/NoScript in my W10, my white list and black list were imported automatically without me doing anything. A while later I visited this site, which requires a lot of work to set it up properly, I did not have to do anything. My settings were imported. In my personal case, I am using NoScript pretty much as I used it in version 5. Look at the pictures, I had to post two pictures to cover the complete menu. The end of the menu starts with sawlive in the second picture. When I first opened the site after upgrading to 10, I didnt have to change anything, the site worked as before.

Bo
Hi Bo,
On my system the screen shows your showing is for all sites I've ever setup a rule, not just the sites at a specific url. It's a very long list.
Finally got a system running with Firefox 53 and NoScript < 10 and there is an options button, and for yahoo.com shows all the scripts it wants to run (only for yahoo)(this is what I'm looking for in NoScript 10.x):
http://img296.imagevenue.com/img.php?im ... _589lo.JPG
bo elam

Post by bo elam »

nz51t wrote: Hi Bo,
On my system the screen shows your showing is for all sites I've ever setup a rule, not just the sites at a specific url. It's a very long list.
Finally got a system running with Firefox 53 and NoScript < 10 and there is an options button, and for yahoo.com shows all the scripts it wants to run (only for yahoo)(this is what I'm looking for in NoScript 10.x):
Hi nz51t, the Yahoo version I get is in Spanish for Latin America, so the version and the domains in the NoScript drop down menu are a little different than yours. Some domains that appear in your menu I black list (2mdn, googlesyndication, cloudflare and doubleclick), you ll never need them for nothing except perhaps (rarely) cloudflare.

Bo