Thanks for the update but the GUI is awful

General discussion about the NoScript extension for Firefox
emeralddarkness

Thanks for the update but the GUI is awful

Post by emeralddarkness »

NoScript has been one of my top addons for years, I didn't feel comfortable browsing the web without it when it was briefly gone due to the firefox update. It's great that it's back again, unfortunately I still can't use it because I can't figure out what anything does. I've tried playing around with everything, nothing changes, and the old settings are back as soon as the page refreshes, which is incredibly frustrating. I loved allow temporarily, and loved that it stayed that way until I closed firefox. The old GUI was very simple and very intuitive, with the new one I have no idea how to change settings and no idea what most of these things do.

There are probably some people out there who like it, I feel like it suffers from the modern design trend of sacrificing function to look more streamlined. I'll happily take something looking less streamlined if it means that it's more functional. Please, please, if you want to keep the default gui the way that it now is, add a classic skin that can be enabled to display the various options the way they were before.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:57.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/57.0
davidpbrown

Re: Thanks for the update but the GUI is awful

Post by davidpbrown »

Well said.

If it's not obvious why temporary permissions are important just consider what the likes of facebook and twitter have become. The clickbate emails from Facebook require a login rather than just suggesting updates and then any sensible user doesn't want to blandly allow all tracking.. even twitter apparently now has ambitions on user tracking - beyond their use as a bookmarking system!

So, having option to turn on access to a site temporarily is important.. and cluttering the new with the stable permissions, is not a good change.

Still with every negative, noscript deserves huge praise for being a solid defense in the face of sites looking to exploit users. We just need the same flexibility and control that was there previously.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:57.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/57.0
Codecat

Post by Codecat »

It's not bad in itself. It's just that it's rather confusing what's what. Its animations are also a little sluggish and the feedback isn't as good as before. (eg. I really miss the yellow bar at the bottom that tells you scripts are blocked)
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:57.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/57.0
emeralddarkness

It's fine if you like it but I mean, "works kind of slowly sometimes, is missing functionality that was previously there, and is confusing and counteractive to try to use, especially since there is no guide" seems to me to qualify as a bad gui
Codecat

Post by Codecat »

Yes, the functionality is not very good. I don't mind the new aesthetic though. (Even if I would personally prefer the old UI)
raynebc

Post by raynebc »

It could definitely use some work, but I wonder how much of it is due to current limitations of Firefox's new plugin system. I'd like to see a temporarily allow all of page function like NoScript used to have, if possible, and a simpler method to temporarily allow all from a domain. The current custom whitelist options are a bit confusing to me compared to the older system and I'm not immediately sure whether I need to check more of the boxes to allow any of the content blocked from that domain.

My biggest disappointment is that on one of the computers I use, the whitelist that I've built for the past couple years has been lost. On another computer, NoScript kept the whitelist. The whitelists are different, otherwise I'd just export from one and import to the other.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:58.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/58.0
wiggum127

Post by wiggum127 »

The UI is confusing and not helping at all.

Where have all the options go ?

Where do you set "temporarily allow top-level sites by default", for example?
Or how to temporary allow only certain scripts?

It's not behaving like it used to be configured (i.e. "temporarily allow top-level sites by default") and there is no way to configure it.
emeralddarkness

I guess from a modern design perspective especially you could say it looks prettier, unfortunately like I said modern web design has taken minimalist to the extreme that it impairs function. I don't really like the new look, and even if it was my favorite thing ever I'd gladly sacrifice it for something that was easier to use.
Thrawn
Master Bug Buster

Post by Thrawn »

Please see Giorgio's comments.
======
Thrawn
------------
Religion is not the opium of the masses. Daily life is the opium of the masses.

True religion, which dares to acknowledge death and challenge the way we live, is an attempt to wake up.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:45.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/45.0
BlakJak

Post by BlakJak »

I too am really glad to see NoScript was updated to accommodate Firefox's changes. Immensely grateful.
But like many I found the new UI intensely confusing to start with.

In many respects the old UI was straightforward because all the clickable options were in english. You knew what they did because they told you what they did. The various icons are a bit nebulous. we're forced to learn the relationship between an icon and a function before we can quickly achieve what we want.

I also havn't confirmed for my own purposes that the reason the rightclick dialogue isn't there is due to WebExtensions limitations? As I have at least one other plugin that has an entry on the right-click menu. Is that the reason? (I always found accessing NoScript via the right click context menu far quicker and more convenient than hunting for the plugin icon).
Nao

Post by Nao »

Where do you set "temporarily allow top-level sites by default", for example?
<..>
It's not behaving like it used to be configured (i.e. "temporarily allow top-level sites by default") and there is no way to configure it.
Indeed, allow *-level is what let NoScript strike a good balance for every day googling - you can't white list every random site out there.
I hope developers will bring this option back in the future; also thanks for their work so far.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/62.0.3202.94 Safari/537.36