untrusted site list and re-enabling

General discussion about the NoScript extension for Firefox
krivan

untrusted site list and re-enabling

Post by krivan »

Hi,

I installed noscript just right now and I am in trouble with in the subject mentioned issue.

The software works great. I have already marked couple of websites and services as untrusted. So it happened now that I can't play the videos on my fav news website [it needs flash player]. I have been searching for a list which shows the blacklist of websites and where I can re-enable some services being essential for this news site.

So, in the Options I have found solely a white list, can you please explain how to get and edit the black list
  • ?

What is anyway the difference between untrusted and forbidden websites?

Thanks for the help,
    Krivan
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-GB; rv:1.9.1.2) Gecko/20090729 Firefox/3.5.2 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)
Grumpy Old Lady

Re: untrusted site list and re-enabling

Post by Grumpy Old Lady »

Hi,
krivan wrote:Hi,

I installed noscript just right now and I am in trouble with in the subject mentioned issue.

The software works great. I have already marked couple of websites and services as untrusted. So it happened now that I can't play the videos on my fav news website [it needs flash player]. I have been searching for a list which shows the blacklist of websites and where I can re-enable some services being essential for this news site.
Before I address the second part of your question, did you know that you can use the context menu to reverse your untrusted choices, without you having to manually edit your whitelist?
http://noscript.net/faq#qa3_10
So, in the Options I have found solely a white list, can you please explain how to get and edit the black list
  • ?
There is no blacklist as such. Untrusted, not forbidden sites are appended to the whitelist file in the NS directory and if you want to view or edit blacklist items, you have to do so manually. The most straightforward method is to export your whitelist using the Export button at the bottom of the Whitelist tab, then open it in a text editor. All untrusted domains are listed after the [UNTRUSTED] heading.
I strongly advise you, for security and usability, to use the menu within the context of the actual site where you want to change these permissions, and to use manual editing only as a last resort.
What is anyway the difference between untrusted and forbidden websites?
It's just a language quirk. To NS, when you begin using it, the entire web, except for the default whitelist, is untrusted. In the menu, sites that you never want to allow are, by definition, untrusted. All you are doing by marking them untrusted is telling NS not to display the choice to allow them. However, in a single session, you can allow an untrusted site, then forbid it - for that session - as many times as you like.
So forbid is not telling NS to permanently remove an item from the menu, it is only changing your on-the-fly allow
Last edited by Grumpy Old Lady on Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-GB; rv:1.9.1.2) Gecko/20090729 Firefox/3.5.2
ckrt26s

Post by ckrt26s »

Sure; fine, but when I try to enable the "trust ...." I find it grayed out. The sites are listed on the whitesheet as trusted for purposes of Java, but the scripts don't work. Is it just the Earthlink mailbox that is giving me trouble? None of my folders are displayed. When i disable No Script completely, all works. Please advise.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.13) Gecko/2009073022 Firefox/3.0.13
Foam Head

Post by Foam Head »

When I recently came back to NoScript, I had this exact same discussion starting with this post in the Where is "Untrusted Menu"? thread. I wanted to use NoScript in a good/bad/unknown mode and that meant tracking the bad list. Turns out NoScript doesn't really work this way. You can sort of make it do that, but I've since abandoned that model and instead just use it in a trusted/untrusted mode.

If you are trying to use NoScript in a good/bad/unknown mode, IMHO you should read through that thread to see why I concluded it is better to use a trusted/untrusted mode instead.

-Foam
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.2) Gecko/20090729 Firefox/3.5.2 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)
Grumpy Old Lady

Post by Grumpy Old Lady »

ckrt26s wrote:Sure; fine, but when I try to enable the "trust ...." I find it grayed out. The sites are listed on the whitesheet as trusted for purposes of Java, but the scripts don't work. Is it just the Earthlink mailbox that is giving me trouble? None of my folders are displayed. When i disable No Script completely, all works. Please advise.
That sounds as if something has gone wrong with your NS configuration or installation.
Firstly would you be kind enough to install the latest development version of NS - see the first link in my sig - which is how the developer works with troubleshooting, and testing your problem again.
Secondly, if you are still having the problem, please post a new subject in the support forum http://forums.informaction.com/viewforum.php?f=7 with some relevant details - - the url of the page where the problem happens, any NS messages in Tools|Error Console.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-GB; rv:1.9.1.2) Gecko/20090729 Firefox/3.5.2
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Post by Giorgio Maone »

My guess: you changed by accident the NoScript Options|Advanced|Forbid active web content unless it comes from a secure (HTTPS) connection to "Always".
Please reset it to "Never" (its default value), unless you know what you're doing.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.2; en-US; rv:1.9.1.2) Gecko/20090729 Firefox/3.5.2 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)
ckrt26s

Post by ckrt26s »

Yup; that was it; thanks. You are correct; I musta set it by mistake. *shrugs*
In any case, thanks again. I was definitely lost without my NoScript. I've begun to rely on it heavily.
By the way, as if you needed another endorsement of this great product, I'll gladly offer mine.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.13) Gecko/2009073022 Firefox/3.0.13