Default = Allow everything in Noscript 10?

Ask for help about NoScript, no registration needed to post
Ecci

Default = Allow everything in Noscript 10?

Post by Ecci »

Am I doing something wrong or does the "Default" option in NoScript 10 actually allow everything? I need to pick untrusted to actually block scripts it seems.

Is there any way to change this behaviour?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/52.0
Ecci

Re: Default = Allow everything in Noscript 10?

Post by Ecci »

Since I can't edit my previous post, see this:

https://i.imgur.com/4Zyyad1.png

Default seems to enable everything
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/52.0
Puzzled10.xuser

Post by Puzzled10.xuser »

I found the opposite - NoScript 10 blocked everything for me, even though it showed the sites as "allowed" in the menu.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:40.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/40.0
bobblebob

Post by bobblebob »

If you untick those checkboxes wont that not allow everything by default?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/7.0; rv:11.0) like Gecko

Post by Guest »

When you change the custom setting for a site it changes the default setting for every other site. Very annoying.

To answer above question, the answer is no. Unchecking all boxes will block everything not allow them.
Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 6.0.1; Blackphone 2 Build/MOB31Z) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/62.0.3202.84 Mobile Safari/537.36
bobblebob

Post by bobblebob »

Guest wrote:When you change the custom setting for a site it changes the default setting for every other site. Very annoying.

To answer above question, the answer is no. Unchecking all boxes will block everything not allow them.
What is the custom tab used for? I get trusted is obviously your trusted sites. Default is stuff not in trusted, but whats custom for?

Post by Guest »

bobblebob wrote:
Guest wrote:When you change the custom setting for a site it changes the default setting for every other site. Very annoying.

What is the custom tab used for? I get trusted is obviously your trusted sites. Default is stuff not in trusted, but whats custom for?
Custom is used for allowing only certain permissions such as frames, fetch etc but at the same time not allowing media, objects. So you may want to allow scripts on a page but deny media and frames. Unfortunately this option isn't working correctly as it changes all your default settings as well.
Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 6.0.1; Blackphone 2 Build/MOB31Z) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/62.0.3202.84 Mobile Safari/537.36
bobblebob

Post by bobblebob »

Ah ok get you. Still yet to install it so will mess around with it later. Just been reading forums so I know what to expect :)
egghead

Post by egghead »

Yes, same here. Also "block everything" should be default, not the other way around. And the settings for "default behaviour" don't stick either or change arbitrarily. And translation into other languages (where trusted/untrusted/custom are longer words) messes up the UI. BTW what does "others" refer to? Where do iFrames come in?

For now, I'll stick with uMatrix. :(
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.12; rv:57.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/57.0
JacksonFireX

Post by JacksonFireX »

egghead wrote:
Yes, same here. Also "block everything" should be default, not the other way around. And the settings for "default behaviour" don't stick either or change arbitrarily. And translation into other languages (where trusted/untrusted/custom are longer words) messes up the UI. BTW what does "others" refer to? Where do iFrames come in?

For now, I'll stick with uMatrix. :(

This is what I've noticed as well (including others) @guest + @egghead - I've tried this both in the custom > temporary clock button > allow script checked and also if you select the main domain (1st party script) default bubble to "allow script", it will automatically allow scripts for every url you see listed on noscript (e.g. (1st + 3rd party scripts that are from multiple domain/subdomain 3rd party url addresses). This is excluding those you have either whitelisted (aka trusted) and/or set to be listed as "untrusted". I wanted to emphasize also that within NS-options, "allow scripts globally is UNCHECKED"

This is markedly different from older NS versions as most are seeing and commenting about but maybe if it's not difficult for our developer Girogio and when possible, we'll have a way to display our controls easier (like the old way) in future versions... after all, this is the 1st WebExtension release.

Going briefly back to the point, there seems to be much confusion as to what DEFAULT is. Others are reporting that if you uncheck allow scripts, it will block everything and problem solved (technically so but I don't think really :?: ). The problem here from my what I've been seeing thus far, I don't think they are going back and seeing how it reverts back to allowing every url listed once you temporarily or by default allow the main 1st party script url domain. This can be easily demonstrated on websites that have media playback. In older versions of NS, you would not even be able to play those without manually whitelisting/temporarily allowing that url set... I found this to be the best way of controlling the minimal amount of total urls to have loaded to have the website function to the users' personal needs.

I was real comfortable and happy with how we were able to block/temporarily allow or just ignore url's on previous NS versions over the past years and it worked well with ublock origin too. I do have optimistic faith that it will get better again in time :mrgreen:

I believe this forum has crossposting rules so I won't directly link it unless the moderators allow or merge the thread or whatever they feel best, but I did outline the similar points I've noticed in greater detail and provided a screenshot showing this in my previous comment post in the NoScript General forum (it was on a related topic thread just like this one). There were some other good user comments in that thread too.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:57.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/57.0
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-