New noscript interface

Ask for help about NoScript, no registration needed to post
barbaz

Re: New noscript interface

Post by barbaz »

imaginaryideals wrote:can't we just have an additional button that designates temporary permission with one click, instead of having to click trusted and then check the clock button next to trusted?
+1
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-
diverjer

Post by diverjer »

Seems like I will stay on FF 56.0.2 with NoScripts for awhile. Like many, I temporary allow all with one click and then remove all temporary permissions later. Many site I use a lot, I make some scripts perm, but not all.

Being a software developer for mainframes for many years and then working on system software, I know the problems and you can never make all the people happy with change. I believe things will work out eventually. Sometimes we just get pressed into getting something up trying to make people happy without all the bells and whistles we would like.

Considering the software is free, shouldn't be any complaining. Also, with FF being new and changes to NoScripts hitting all at once, it can be overwhelming to many folks.

I always like to wait a few weeks, my thoughts are let someone else get the bugs worked out, I have a good enough backup, have no worries. Being on the leading edge technology can kind of be like being on the bleeding edge with all the pain.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:56.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/56.0
richbuff

Post by richbuff »

I just got the NoScript icon back. I feel happy about that. Now I need to find the instruction manual.
Firefox current version, and only two extensions, and one of them is NoScript :)
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:57.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/57.0
notbright

Post by notbright »

I hope it is okay to ask these questions here. I have set Noscript to not update given some of the feedback surrounding the new UI. I was hoping someone with the new 10 UI wouldn't mind addressing the following questions so that I can see if 10 will be usable for me with my comfort level.

- Will Noscript automatically not allow any script immediately after it updates from 5.1.x to 10 or does it allow sites until blocked?

- Will Noscript automatically retain the whitelist and untrusted lists from 5.1.x to 10 or do they need to be recreated?

- Will hovering on the Noscript icon bring up the menu so that a site can be easily temporarily allowed or marked as untrusted and see what has already been allowed?

- Will Noscript automatically retain chosen settings in the options menu or will settings need to be selected again?

- Looking through the options menu what, if any, UI setting exists in 5.1.x that does not yet have an equivalent in version 10?

- Under embeddings (version 5.1.x), I have everything set to forbid/block and apply those to whitelisted sites also. Does v10 have those settings (forbid Flash, A/V, IFrame, Frame, Font Face, WebGL, Block all from Untrusted sites)?

- Does Noscript 10 offer ABE, XSS, clearclick and blocked META redirections?

- Version 5.1.x had the following options under advanced->untrusted, forbid a ping, attempt to fix javascript links and forbid XSLT. Do those three exist currently in version 10?

Thank you very much to anyone that helps me with those questions. It is really appreciated and will help ease the transition for me (and hopefully others also).
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:56.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/56.0
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

Guest, your question about the NoScript 10 permissions does deserve its own thread. Split to https://forums.informaction.com/viewtop ... =7&t=23610
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-
Jeff321

Post by Jeff321 »

Glad the addon is back. I am really missing "temporary allow all this page" and "allow all this page" however.
NewGuy

Post by NewGuy »

It is possible to go back to the old version for awhile longer.... Not easy, but possible. You need to find the "ESR" version of Firefoxhttps://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/organizations/, it will downrev and install just fine. Don't forget to export your NoScript whitelist first!

But then the new NoScript will not install, however it is possible to find a link to Noscript "classic" on the GetIt page https://noscript.net/getit and that will install onto the ESR Firefox.

Looks good again, nice and easy to import/export whitelists, temp allow, all the good stuff. Its nice to have the familiar icons and locations in Firefox as well. I hope by the time ESR is not supported (summer 2018) all the NoScript options will be back in an easy-to-use UI
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/52.0
SoItBegins

Post by SoItBegins »

You can also switch to Firefox Nightly and set extensions.legacy.enabled to 'true' in about:config. Then reinstall NoScript 5.1.7.
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.9; rv:58.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/58.0
bonanza

Post by bonanza »

Can someone elaborate what the "match HTTPS only" means?

Case 1) I set it to untrusted and toggle the above mentioned option. Does it mean its "default" when non-HTTPs and "untrusted" when HTTPS?
Case 2) I set it to trusted and toggle it. Does it mean its trusted only when HTTPS is on and default otherwise?
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:58.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/58.0
guest duder

Post by guest duder »

Is it just me or is the UI hopelessly broken in private browsing? It works fine in normal browsing, but when the private mode goes on it becomes completely, hopelessly unusable and adjusting permissions is quickly reduced into diddling about with the settings page in a non-private window for maximum inconvenience. All other addons function normally.

Also the revised temporary permissions system is a major downgrade from 5, not only is it fiddlier but the lack of a revoke button really ruins it.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:57.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/57.0
negativeions

Post by negativeions »

I don't understand the logic of the contents of the new UI. Shouldn't everything that was in the old UI be in the new UI? wtf is this. There's 2 checkboxes and a whitelist. Not even close to the customizability of the old one.
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.12; rv:57.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/57.0
AnnoyedUser0123

Post by AnnoyedUser0123 »

Well, with the German Firefox translation noscript is absolutely unusable:
Macintom

Post by Macintom »

UI seems ok in German:
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.12; rv:55.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/55.2.2 Waterfox/55.2.2
grizzler

Post by grizzler »

As long as everything is Default, yes. Otherwise things get messy in the Dutch translation as well.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:57.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/57.0
lancelot

Post by lancelot »

Took me a while to figure out that there is a Settings button on each tab, and those settings will be the default. So e.g. I can have the "defaults for Default" to be scripts:not allowed (unchecked) and fonts:allowed (checked) and the defaults for Trusted to be scripts:allowed and objects:not allowed. So at least that functionality is still there.

Is "Cascade top document's permissions to 3rd party scripts" gone?

And the new toolbar button is way too intrusive. I don't want to see the counter, I just want the old NoScript icon.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; Win64; x64; rv:57.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/57.0