Firefox 57 and NoScript

Ask for help about NoScript, no registration needed to post
SyberCorp

Re: Firefox 57 and NoScript

Post by SyberCorp »

I, too, am curious what's going on. On the "Get It" page, under the Development sub-section, there is a part that says "Before Firefox 57 is released in the stable channel, a pure WebExtension NoScript will be available an you'll be automatically migrated to it." That was CLEARLY not the case.

Edit: I see the link the previous reply posted, about NoScript 10.0 being released later today. Hopefully that's sooner than later in the day.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:57.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/57.0
gentux

Post by gentux »

I just migrated to uMatrix, seems like a good replacement for NoScript.

Post by Guest »

Firefox 57 is now (November 14) here - but no new NoScript-version ...
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:57.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/57.0
NIN39

Post by NIN39 »

Calm down. He said it will be released today at one point..... We are all waiting for it...hitting the f5 button
GOGI

Post by GOGI »

NIN39 wrote:Calm down. He said it will be released today at one point..... We are all waiting for it...hitting the f5 button
You're right, there is no hurry, we lived before when NoScript didn't exist, and we'll continue to live whatever happens, but at least some more communication about the status would be welcomed...
Just to inform people, if it is ready, not ready, will be soon, in few days, a month, etc... that's all we're requesting. I think nobody's going to blame anyone here if it's not release-ready, we can easily imagine that there's a huge amount of work upstream to port this extension to WebExt type, but please just communicate a little bit more with the followers and fans of yours...
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Fedora; Linux x86_64; rv:57.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/57.0
Long time user

Post by Long time user »

I just want to take a moment to say THANK YOU for all of the noscript updates , work, sweat and tears.

It's made the web a much better and safer place.

I can't wait for the FF57 version. Thank you for working so hard to get it done. I can only imagine the stress it has caused.

Good luck and thank you again.

G
Crusherix

Post by Crusherix »

Just jumping in to say that browsing the internet without noscript feels like driving on ice with summer tires.
Can't wait to have you back on firefox quantom! You do great work.
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

https://hackademix.net/2017/11/14/double-noscript/

Looks like NoScript Webext release got delayed until at least 16 Nov, possibly longer.
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-
Dev-A

Post by Dev-A »

I feel like a fish out of water without NS. If there are "major" delays, then please advise. If its longer than a week, then I will gladly stick with firefox56 till then.

Another donation will be well earned for this major update, I encourage others to do the same :)

Godspeed Giorgio, we're counting on you ;)
Dev-A

Post by Dev-A »

barbaz wrote:https://hackademix.net/2017/11/14/double-noscript/

Looks like NoScript Webext release got delayed until at least 16 Nov, possibly longer.
Oh there it is :lol:
GOGI

Post by GOGI »

Dev-A wrote:I feel like a fish out of water without NS. If there are "major" delays, then please advise. If its longer than a week, then I will gladly stick with firefox56 till then.

Another donation will be well earned for this major update, I encourage others to do the same :)

Godspeed Giorgio, we're counting on you ;)
I don't really understand why you people complain so much about NoScript not yet released, I mean don't get offended I'm not talking about you in particular but in general. Unlike previous versions, Firefox 57 comes with most kind of scripts blocked by default (Java, Silverlight, ...) and Flash can only be enabled on request, so surfing on the web with FF57 has nothing to do with previous versions, having on mind that most of those scripts wich used to cause PITA where Java ones...

I even wonder, once now Firefox disabled all of this by default, what will the WebExt protect us from, I mean by this I'm expecting to see detailed description of specs from Giorgio Maone and staff about this new version once it is released to better uderstand why it is still useful.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Fedora; Linux x86_64; rv:57.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/57.0
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

GOGI wrote:I don't really understand why you people complain so much about NoScript not yet released, I mean don't get offended I'm not talking about you in particular but in general. Unlike previous versions, Firefox 57 comes with most kind of scripts blocked by default (Java, Silverlight, ...) and Flash can only be enabled on request, so surfing on the web with FF57 has nothing to do with previous versions, having on mind that most of those scripts wich used to cause PITA where Java ones...
GOGI, NoScript is a lot more than just a plugin blocker. It also blocks Javascript, filters cross-site scripting attacks, prevents websites from tampering with your local network, blocks clickjacking, blocks online resource abuse, enforces HTTPS, manages secure cookies, ...and the list goes on.

The loss of NoScript is the loss of a significant amount of security, and no matter how temporary the loss is, "complaining" about it is well justified. Just be careful who you're complaining at. ;)
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-
4td8s

Post by 4td8s »

barbaz wrote:
GOGI wrote:I don't really understand why you people complain so much about NoScript not yet released, I mean don't get offended I'm not talking about you in particular but in general. Unlike previous versions, Firefox 57 comes with most kind of scripts blocked by default (Java, Silverlight, ...) and Flash can only be enabled on request, so surfing on the web with FF57 has nothing to do with previous versions, having on mind that most of those scripts wich used to cause PITA where Java ones...
GOGI, NoScript is a lot more than just a plugin blocker. It also blocks Javascript, filters cross-site scripting attacks, prevents websites from tampering with your local network, blocks clickjacking, blocks online resource abuse, enforces HTTPS, manages secure cookies, ...and the list goes on.

The loss of NoScript is the loss of a significant amount of security, and no matter how temporary the loss is, "complaining" about it is well justified. Just be careful who you're complaining at. ;)
don't sweat it guys. just wait for a pure webext version of noscript a while longer, even if FF57 has been officially released today. if Giorgio can't release one now, then it's probably not yet fully ready for the new version of Firefox. look there's sometimes delays in stuff and he still has to figure out how to make noscript work with FF v57.

like I said before, I'm using uMatrix with FF57 though it took me a while on getting used to it (along with an already webext version of adblock plus 3.0x made for FF57). I'm pretty sure when Noscript is fully ready for Firefox 57 it'll have a completely different version number than the "hybrid" version of Noscript made for Firefox 56 & earlier.
Last edited by 4td8s on Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/52.0 SeaMonkey/2.49.1
zzzz

Post by zzzz »

Maybe I missed the answer earlier, but will our whitelisted sites automatically transfer over to the new release?
4td8s

Post by 4td8s »

zzzz wrote:Maybe I missed the answer earlier, but will our whitelisted sites automatically transfer over to the new release?
that remains to be seen as the new release of Noscript is not yet available for the officially released version of Firefox 57.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/52.0 SeaMonkey/2.49.1