NoScript description string, feature request

Bug reports and enhancement requests
gracious1

NoScript description string, feature request

Post by gracious1 »

(Pulled this out of an existing thread because it's a different topic.)
gracious1 wrote:Also I want to point out another thing: caption says "Extra protection for your Firefox"; should say "Extra protection for your Pale Moon". :mrgreen:
barbaz wrote:Nope. That text is static, it has no way to detect the browser type, and NoScript is mainly used by Firefox users. Best to leave it saying Firefox.
Okay, I wasn't aware the text is static. So in about:config, I modified the preference extensions.{73a6fe31-595d-460b-a920-fcc0f8843232}.description to the string "Extra protection for your Pale Moon". :mrgreen:

Question: Since the text cannot be modified based on targetted application, would it be possible to change it to "your browser"? Users of SeaMonkey, Pale Moon, Waterfox, and other Gecko/Goanna browsers use NoScript, too. ;) Not sure why it has to say "Firefox" specifically? It's just a thought…

And yes, power users who know how can change the pref with about:config to whatever they please, but IMHO it might be better to be browser-neutral especially considering the proliferation of Firefox alternatives (esp. due to changes at Mozilla) and the general uncertainty of Firefox for the long-term (as Fx usage continues to decrease).

Thanks for all your hard work in maintaining this excellent extension. Peace out.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:45.9) Gecko/20100101 Goanna/3.2 Firefox/45.9 PaleMoon/27.4.2
barbaz

Re: NoScript description string, feature request

Post by barbaz »

gracious1 wrote:IMHO it might be better to be browser-neutral especially considering the proliferation of Firefox alternatives (esp. due to changes at Mozilla) and the general uncertainty of Firefox for the long-term (as Fx usage continues to decrease).
Sorry but that's not a good argument.

A better argument for the change would be to update the description to match AMO -
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/addon/noscript/ wrote:The best security you can get in a web browser!
Allow active content to run only from sites you trust, and protect yourself against XSS and Clickjacking attacks.
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-
gracious1

Re: NoScript description string, feature request

Post by gracious1 »

barbaz wrote:A better argument for the change would be to update the description to match AMO -
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/addon/noscript/ wrote:The best security you can get in a web browser!
Allow active content to run only from sites you trust, and protect yourself against XSS and Clickjacking attacks.
Okay. I will support that position. ;) :mrgreen:
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:45.9) Gecko/20100101 Goanna/3.2 Firefox/45.9 PaleMoon/27.4.2