Downside with restartless, it opens the releasenote whenever

General discussion about the NoScript extension for Firefox
Forcen

Downside with restartless, it opens the releasenote whenever

Post by Forcen »

I was browsing the web and suddenly a new tab opened by itself and showed that noscript got a patch and that it's now restartless, I really don't like being interupted by addons opening new tabs when I'm actively using the browser.

Showing the release notes after an update was a useful feature when it wasn't restartless but I will disable that feature now personally. I thought I should bring this up since this probably wasn't the intended functionality of that option, maybe you can change it to show a notification that you can click for release notes? It should probably be disabled by default now.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:56.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/56.0
barbaz

Re: Downside with restartless, it opens the releasenote when

Post by barbaz »

I agree with you.

Another possibility could be, defer displaying release notes until next time the browser is started. i.e. make release notes behave like before NoScript went restartless.
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-
Thrawn
Master Bug Buster

Post by Thrawn »

Well, you can disable automatic updates, or you can disable showing the release notes on update, but since updates can now occur and take effect at any time, I'm not sure it makes sense any more for the release notes page to wait for browser restart.

Personally, I don't mind it, but it's possible I'll change my mind over time. If so, I'll just disable the release notes page.

Perhaps you could configure Firefox to show the NoScript changelog when you open the browser, regardless of recent updates.
======
Thrawn
------------
Religion is not the opium of the masses. Daily life is the opium of the masses.

True religion, which dares to acknowledge death and challenge the way we live, is an attempt to wake up.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:45.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/45.0
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Post by Giorgio Maone »

I'm not sure about how the majority of the other restartless extensions behave (I didn't really pay attention), but I'm just realizing it as a problem and I'll likely correct it in next releases by showing release notes on first browser restart after an update.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:56.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/56.0