Firefox 48 - NoScript 5.1.0rc2 through 5.1.2rc3 disappear

Ask for help about NoScript, no registration needed to post
Schmye Bubbula

Firefox 48 - NoScript 5.1.0rc2 through 5.1.2rc3 disappear

Post by Schmye Bubbula »

[Edit: was "NoScript 5.1.0rc2 disappeared"]

Got automatically updated to NoScript 5.1.0rc2 yesterday (Sep 27, 2017) and NoScript disappeared from my Status Bar, from the menu bar Tools menu and from my Contextual menu. My Add-ons Manager shows it loaded and active (it will show if an Extension becomes incompatible with my version of Firefox), and I can set preferences, but I can't get to it. What happened?
Last edited by Schmye Bubbula on Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
- -
Firefox 48.0.2
macOS 10.6.8
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.6; rv:48.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/48.0
barbaz

Re: NoScript 5.1.0rc2 disappeared

Post by barbaz »

*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-
Schmye Bubbula

Post by Schmye Bubbula »

^ I just now read that whole thread, and it was about NoScript disappearing from the SeaMonkey Status Bar, but it said that the NoScript icon is still in the Customize bin — but couldn't be dropped to the Status Bar — but NoScript is nowhere to be found in my Firefox Customize bin, so I can't even try adding it back to my Firefox Status Bar. Also, that thread doesn't mention the sudden disappearance of NoScript from the menu bar's Tools menu, and from the right-click Contextual menu. So my problem seems more severe than the one in that thread.... I guess what we need is at least one more confirmation of the disappearance from a user under macOS 10.6.8 Snow Leopard, and thus the latest thusly supported Firefox 48.0.2.
- -
Firefox 48.0.2
macOS 10.6.8
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.6; rv:48.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/48.0
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Post by Giorgio Maone »

Please upgrade to latest development build 5.1.0rc3 and check for any NoScript-related error message in your Browser Console (Ctrl+Shift+J). Thanks.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:55.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/55.0
Schmye Bubbula

Post by Schmye Bubbula »

^ Did an update in Add-ons manager, and it promptly updated to NoScript 5.1.0rc3 in-place — didn't even have to relaunch Firefox — and it brought the NoScript menus back to the Status Bar and Contextual menu. Yay! ... But it's still missing from the menu bar's Tools menu, so I relaunched Firefox for good measure (and presumably to refresh the error logs in Browser Console), but NoScript still isn't in the Tools menu.

I tried to put my Browser Console entries in code tags, but the board gave an error message that something tripped your spam filter, so alternatively please find attached... woops, no file attachment provision on this board, so here:

[removed by moderator]
- -
Firefox 48.0.2
macOS 10.6.8
Schmye Bubbula

Post by Schmye Bubbula »

Code: Select all

Could not read chrome manifest 'file:///Applications/Firefox.app/Contents/Resources/chrome.manifest'.
Warning: attempting to write 8199 bytes to preference extensions.bootstrappedAddons. This is bad for general performance and memory usage. Such an amount of data should rather be written to an external file. This preference will not be sent to any content processes.
Warning: attempting to write 8199 bytes to preference extensions.bootstrappedAddons. This is bad for general performance and memory usage. Such an amount of data should rather be written to an external file. This preference will not be sent to any content processes.
Warning: attempting to write 4313 bytes to preference browser.uiCustomization.state. This is bad for general performance and memory usage. Such an amount of data should rather be written to an external file. This preference will not be sent to any content processes.
1506625237539	addons.webextension.jid1-dwtGBwQjx3SUQc@jetpack	WARN	Please specify whether you want browser_style or not in your browser_action options.
Warning: attempting to write 4313 bytes to preference browser.uiCustomization.state. This is bad for general performance and memory usage. Such an amount of data should rather be written to an external file. This preference will not be sent to any content processes.
While creating services from category 'profile-after-change', could not create service for entry 'PDMTS', contract ID '@caligonstudios.com/pdmts;1'
SSL Observatory WARN: Failed to initialize NSS component:Error: couldn't open library /Applications/Firefox.app/Contents/Resources/libnss3.dylib: dlsym(RTLD_DEFAULT, CTFontDrawGlyphs): symbol not found
1506625239355	addons.webextension.2.0@disconnect.me	WARN	Please specify whether you want browser_style or not in your browser_action options.
1506625239545	addons.webextension.jid1-mMNvppACqZ8HOQ@jetpack	WARN	Loading extension 'jid1-mMNvppACqZ8HOQ@jetpack': Reading manifest: Error processing author: An unexpected property was found in the WebExtension manifest.
1506625239850	addons.webextension.{7b1bf0b6-a1b9-42b0-b75d-252036438bdc}	WARN	Loading extension '{7b1bf0b6-a1b9-42b0-b75d-252036438bdc}': Reading manifest: Error processing permissions.2: Unknown permission "management"
1506625240184	addons.webextension.{7b1bf0b6-a1b9-42b0-b75d-252036438bdc}	WARN	Please specify whether you want browser_style or not in your browser_action options.
"Deprecation warning: moment construction falls back to js Date. This is discouraged and will be removed in upcoming major release. Please refer to https://github.com/moment/moment/issues/1407 for more info."moment.js:6:286
premium not onbackground.js:83:5
[ABE WAN] Detected WAN IP xxxxxxx
Object { text: "Get Mobile Protection", link: "https://disconnect.me/support/" }background.js:61:9
CM+ (coomanPlusCore.jsm:659:1): (debug):[begin] storageRead() execTime: 2
S4E Calling updateWindow: {02afad6d-2ce7-e045-8953-3a4c697b7ab7}
foxbleed:Object { stack: "", 5 more… }runner.js:166
foxbleed:Object { stack: "", 5 more… }Promise-backend.js:940
Content Security Policy: Couldn't process unknown directive 'worker-src'(unknown)
Content Security Policy: Directive 'frame-src' has been deprecated. Please use directive 'child-src' instead.(unknown)
Content Security Policy: The page's settings blocked the loading of a resource at self ("default-src https://self-repair.mozilla.org https://normandy-cloudfront.cdn.mozilla.net/").repair:1
- -
Firefox 48.0.2
macOS 10.6.8
-
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

Schmye Bubbula wrote:I tried to put my Browser Console entries in code tags, but the board gave an error message that something tripped your spam filter, so
I was able to post it for you. I also obscured your WAN IP.
-
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Post by Giorgio Maone »

Looks like you've got a bit too many extension.
Does NoScript show up if you disable all the others (temporarily)?
Schmye Bubbula

Post by Schmye Bubbula »

^ I made a new profile and installed only NoScript 5.1.0rc3, and same behavior: appears in the Status Bar and Contextual menu, but not in the menu bar's Tools menu any more. It was in there in rc1.
- -
Firefox 48.0.2
macOS 10.6.8
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Post by Giorgio Maone »

Schmye Bubbula wrote:^ I made a new profile and installed only NoScript 5.1.0rc3, and same behavior: appears in the Status Bar and Contextual menu, but not in the menu bar's Tools menu any more. It was in there in rc1.
Right-click on a Toolbar, select "Customize": is there for you to drag it back where you expect it? Or can you drag it from the status bar to wherever you prefer?
Schmye Bubbula

Post by Schmye Bubbula »

^ Yes, I can drag the NoScript icon into & out of the Customize bin to any of the various status-type bars I want. But on a Mac, the menu bar's Tools menu is not user-configurable (except in some cases where an Extension's prefs specifically allow it).
- -
Firefox 48.0.2
macOS 10.6.8
Schmye Bubbula

Post by Schmye Bubbula »

The plot thickens: after a couple of days use of NoScript 5.1.0rc3, a pattern is emerging that the NoScript icons disappear from the Status Bar and Contextual menu after a period of time during a given Firefox launch session, but they reappear upon relaunch of Firefox (until they disappear again). I'm now keeping an eye on things to see if the disappearance occurs when I visit a certain webpage, or upon some other action, and will report back here if it seems like anything other than a random occurrence.

memo: With NoScript 5.1.0rc1 all was well (including the presence of NoScript in the menu bar Tools menu—but hasn't been seen there since), and with 5.1.0rc2 NoScript was missing from all three locations all the time.
- -
Firefox 48.0.2
macOS 10.6.8
Schmye Bubbula

Post by Schmye Bubbula »

Same pattern with today's release of NoScript 5.1.1rc1 as described in the immediately preceding post with 5.1.0rc3.... I'm watching closely, but still can't find any rhyme or reason for the sudden disappearance of the NoScript icons from the Status Bar and Contextual menu after some time following a fresh launch of Firefox. I have ruled-out awake from sleep.
- -
Firefox 48.0.2
macOS 10.6.8
Schmye Bubbula

Re:NoScript 5.1.0rc2, 5.1.0rc3, 5.1.1rc1, 5.1.2rc1 disappear

Post by Schmye Bubbula »

^ Ditto today's release of NoScript 5.1.2rc1.
- -
Firefox 48.0.2
macOS 10.6.8
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

Schmye Bubbula wrote: still can't find any rhyme or reason for the sudden disappearance of the NoScript icons from the Status Bar and Contextual menu after some time
About how long is "some time"?
If you open Firefox, then leave it open for that amount of time without doing anything, do the NoScript icons still disappear?

(Don't let this test get in your way. Create a new profile for the test and start Firefox from the command line with -no-remote -new-instance parameters. For more info how to do that, see https://developer.mozilla.org/docs/Mozi ... ne_Options.)
-