[INVALID] NSA breaks UBlock Origin

Android-specific support, bug reports and feature requests.
AnonAskSection

[INVALID] NSA breaks UBlock Origin

Post by AnonAskSection »

Hello, I've noticed that since Firefox switched to the new AddOn APIs, NoScript is breaking UBlock Origin. NSA version is 3.5a15, UBlock Origin version is 1.14.8 and I've tested it with Firefox Mobile version 55.0.2 and Firefox Mobile Beta version 56.0b11.

Whenever NSA is active, UBlock's menu screen (moz-extension://...) can't be opened anymore. Bookmarking that site only shows a broken, unusable version of that menu. It also hinders UBlock from functioning correctly. While 3rd party ads still get blocked (which could just simply be NSA blocking them), ads that are embedded in a website's code don't get filtered at all (First two links in duckduckgo are sponsored links for example).

If NSA is deactivated (and the app restarted), UBlock Origin works fine in both Firefox versions. So NSA breaks UBlock Origin either partially or completely.

I'd be very glad if this bug could be sorted out as quickly as possible, as I don't want to have to choose between my ad- and my Javascript-blocker. Thanks.
Last edited by AnonAskSection on Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mozilla/5.0 (Android 6.0.1; Mobile; rv:56.0) Gecko/56.0 Firefox/56.0
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: NSA breaks UBlock

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

I believe you are running the legacy copy of uB0, have you updated it to the new version to see if it still happens? Mixing legacy with new API often results in issues, that's why they are phasing it out and moving everyone over. This issue has been exhaustively discussed over at uB0's issue tracker, although often it is legacy addons breaking the new uB0 but the principle still applies.
~.:[ Lï£ê ï§ å Lêmðñ åñÐ Ì Wåñ† M¥ Mðñê¥ ßå¢k ]:.~
________________ .: [ Major Mike's ] :. ________________
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:55.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/55.0
AnonAskSection

Re: NSA breaks UBlock

Post by AnonAskSection »

I've installed UBlock through Firefox' AddOn website, so whichever version that is I have. I also can't find any other version on UBlock's website, so there isn't much I can do to test your theory. Although NSA is most likely still a legacy AddOn, and as I've said, these problems only occurred after Firefox switched to the new AddOn API.

Edit: I meant UBlock Origin, not the regular UBlock. I've edited the OP to reflect that.
Mozilla/5.0 (Android 6.0.1; Mobile; rv:56.0) Gecko/56.0 Firefox/56.0
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: NSA breaks UBlock Origin

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

I understood what you meant, hence why I wrote "uB0", it's ok but thanks for updating that for sake of clarity.

Now as far as who is legacy or not, according to Raymond (uB0 developer) the AMO is now only pushing the new API unless legacy is all the only last copy they have and he is only submitting that, but that may not apply to the mobile yet - I need to find out. Let me test this to be sure and get back to you sometime in the morning but likely it is pushing the new uB0 and it is dying due to the much discussed issue with legacy coexistence, we'll see.
gorhill

Post by gorhill »

uBO 1.14.8 is a WebExtensions (since 1.14.0).
NSA 3.5a15 is a legacy extension.

Maybe NSA is blocking stuff from `moz-extension://`?
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:57.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/57.0
therube
Ambassador

Post by therube »

(moz-extension mentioned here, NoScript brokes Firefox WebExtension background pages (both older & current)).
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball NoScript FlashGot AdblockPlus
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.49.1
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

Ok, so this is entirely due to uB0 and I have both confirmed it on my end and also there are issues on uB0's tracker that show the developer is not accepting responsibility for it and is deferring all issues to Mozilla.

Fresh installed Firefox, add uB0 nothing happens, you can't even open the options even when by itself. Remove it and install NSA, works flawlessly. Adding uB0 not only doesn't work but also hijacks NSA menu and while NSA continues to function, after uB0 the menu item is changed and even when removed, it has still hijacked NSA menu item. See below:

You can refer to their own issue on this and if you feel you have something to add or want it to work properly, you can discuss it there with them.
gorhill

Post by gorhill »

GµårÐïåñ wrote:Ok, so this is entirely due to uB0 and I have both confirmed it on my end and also there are issues on uB0's tracker that show the developer is not accepting responsibility for it and is deferring all issues to Mozilla.
uBO is a WebExtensions, and as such it only calls browserAction.setTitle. Firefox for Android is responsible all the magic behind this call to add an item to the menu, uBO has absolutely zero knowledge of menus or whatever else browser chrome. See for yourself: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1351111, and specifically read comment 27. Try to not let your grudge get in the way of facts, it may make you feel better but it's of no help to others.
Last edited by Thrawn on Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed link as per PM
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:57.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/57.0
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

gorhill wrote:Try to not let your grudge get in the way of facts, it may make you feel better but it's of no help to others.
Your assumption of a grudge based on your own bad behavior seems like transference. I am a professional, I don't hold grudges, simply relaying the available information to the user. Nothing I said was inaccurate or not already on the record, so what's your beef with it again?

All of the things that I brought to your attention and you and your posse of fan boys attacked me for later came to be exactly the cause and the issue that you ignored to accept and threw a tantrum over, that is what I call a grudge by someone who automatically disregards without actually and honestly looking into it and resorting to insults and attacks, so maybe listen to yourself and behave better instead.
Thrawn
Master Bug Buster

Post by Thrawn »

gorhill wrote:See for yourself: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=135111, and specifically read comment 27.
Er...am I doing something wrong, or is that a bug about a compilation error on Solaris, with only 5 comments?
======
Thrawn
------------
Religion is not the opium of the masses. Daily life is the opium of the masses.

True religion, which dares to acknowledge death and challenge the way we live, is an attempt to wake up.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:45.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/45.0
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

Thrawn wrote:Er...am I doing something wrong, or is that a bug about a compilation error on Solaris, with only 5 comments?
You are not doing anything wrong, he likes to randomly point to things that have nothing to do with the issue and wash his hands; like this one 16 years ago and fixed 6 years ago. He acts as if he is the only one developing for WebExtensions and that everyone is breaking his addon except him.