Firefox might become trackingware?

General discussion about web technology.
barbaz

Firefox might become trackingware?

Post by barbaz »

*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-
yes_noscript

Re: Firefox might become trackingware?

Post by yes_noscript »

Another not-ending-story from Spyzilla
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:45.9) Gecko/20100101 Goanna/3.2 Firefox/45.9 PaleMoon/27.4.2
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

I didn't have the time to read the entire first link, but how is that something relating to NoScript?

The fact is that Mozilla has been trying to survive by becoming Google and turning its users into a commodity. However, that being said, while it could be more transparent, they do prompt you to choose to participate in the SHIELD program or not; the same obscure way they bring up telemetry and whether or not you want to have it phone home. They could be more transparent about it, but then again they won't have anything to sell, if they didn't ensnare people through obscurity. You can easily cripple all this at the main browser level by removing or renaming the built-in "extensions" they bundle that don't show up on the extensions list but can be seen and disabled - including through about:config - been doing this for a long time and if anyone happens to use CCleaner, which many do, then under the browser tabs for Mozilla, you will see a list of all extensions for every profile on the system and you can also kill the hidden crap from Mozilla over there.

A bit of diligence is all that is required and I still don't know see how that involves NoScript.
Last edited by barbaz on Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Remove statement that could be misinterpreted as an accusation
~.:[ Lï£ê ï§ å Lêmðñ åñÐ Ì Wåñ† M¥ Mðñê¥ ßå¢k ]:.~
________________ .: [ Major Mike's ] :. ________________
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:55.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/55.0
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

GµårÐïåñ wrote:how is that something relating to NoScript?
As the OP of this thread, let me be absolutely clear, This has nothing whatsoever to do with NoScript, FlashGot, or Giorgio. That's why I posted in Web Tech, not the NoScript / FlashGot forums.
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-