W3C HTML 5.1 standards include DRM

General discussion about web technology.
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: W3C HTML 5.1 standards include DRM

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

barbaz wrote:Hmm. Not sure what to make of that.
Think of it as a lesser of the two evils; like I don't care if my kid smokes a joint as long as she does it at home with us. Get the argument? Basically they are thinking, they are going to go ahead and do it if they want, look at Netflix, so why the hell not give in and have them at least do it under our roof. But one thing everyone missed is this, just because the W3c says something don't mean shit, it is still up to everyone to decide if they want to implement it, so for all intents and purposes people can go on and not give a crap and keep it as is and it would make ZERO difference in the universe.
~.:[ Lï£ê ï§ å Lêmðñ åñÐ Ì Wåñ† M¥ Mðñê¥ ßå¢k ]:.~
________________ .: [ Major Mike's ] :. ________________
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/52.0
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

Thanks for the explanation. Image
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

barbaz wrote:Thanks for the explanation. Image
Anytime. There are so many voices competing to make the internet less open and I fear that ultimately they will get the Orwellian state they want because frankly people are lazy and ill-informed or just simply don't care enough to do anything about it. So wherever the money is, THEY will win, not a matter of IF, but as always WHEN.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/52.0
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

-
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

-
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

These are paper kings sucking at the teet of companies who fund them. There is no integrity if the people you are supposed to police or set standard for are the ones telling you what to do, they are puppets.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:54.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/54.0
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

-
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

Yeah, when they get to it, but no passive bitching is going to do anything. Short of regulatory involvement, nothing is going to change, mark my words.
Update, July 13: After consultation with W3C CEO Jeff Jaffe on timing, we've temporarily withdrawn this appeal, for one week, for purely logistical purposes. I am teaching a workshop all next week at UC San Diego and will re-file the objection at the end of the week, so that I will be able to devote undivided attention to garnering the necessary support from other W3C members. -Cory
Clearly not a priority for them, not that they can accomplish much anyway. If they could, they would have been able to stop it from being approved, which was an easier accomplishment than reversing something that has been accomplished. It is far easier to tear down an unfinished house than to demolish a fully built one, that's where this is - along the lines of too little too late. If they had any bite, it wouldn't get this far, the EFF has been a great disappointment for many thing. They make a lot of noise but it never materializes to anything because they do it as an exercise in getting their name out there.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:54.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/54.0
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

@GµårÐïåñ You really called that one right on all scores. Image

Now it's final - https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/09 ... -approval/

... and the EFF resigned from W3C - https://boingboing.net/2017/09/18/antif ... r-all.html
-
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

I take no pleasure in it. You'd be surprised how much I hate being right; but if experience has taught me anything over almost 30 years in this field (literally watching it be built and evolve in front of me) is that money talks, integrity doesn't factor in anything and greed rules everything.

The noble principle of the web which was founded to connect academics, researchers and people to each other around the world died the day its users became a commodity rather than its citizens. When profiting from the users became the sole focus, that was the day I saw the end coming. Just look at the state the "internet" is in now, a far cry from the idealistic desires that created it.

If it's any consolation, hackers will always work against restrictions and find a way; you can practically plot the rise of hackers directly along the rise of restrictions. The only thing I am worried about is what we see even today, that knowledge and the tools will become controlled and distributed along the elites and only slowly trickle down to the rest. Not to mention there will always been unethical elements who will move to profit from it.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:55.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/55.0