µMatrix thread

General discussion about web technology.
lakrsrool

Re: µMatrix thread

Post by lakrsrool »

Thanks for the help, I tried the edit, and I thought perhaps I should enter new rule in the "temporary" side, but what fooled me is that there is no "open interface box" to enter the rule unless I place the cursor below the last rule entered and press return (which I forgot I needed to do, should have know however). Okay rule entered, I'll test it out. ;)
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:45.9) Gecko/20100101 Goanna/3.2 Firefox/45.9 PaleMoon/27.2.0
lakrsrool

Post by lakrsrool »

Still get a blank page: https://s20.postimg.org/uz5q7hnhp/resul ... _added.png after clicking on "Listen Live" button. As you can see I've "allowed" all NS requests, but get blank instead of player. Here is the new rule entered in uMatrix: https://s20.postimg.org/jo32j4gml/New_u_Matrix_rule.png as instructed.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:45.9) Gecko/20100101 Goanna/3.2 Firefox/45.9 PaleMoon/27.2.0
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

Well, it is blank for me too, but it plays audio for me. I assume you're not hearing audio either, as your NoScript menu is still missing some sites.

Instead of using the site's "Listen Live" button and the popup window, can you please try it just opening that URL (the URL of the popup, the link I posted) in a new tab? That way you'll have access to the µMatrix popup without doing anything complicated.
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

https://github.com/gorhill/uMatrix/releases wrote:Media resources are now reported in the image plugin column (to be renamed media), having these reported in the other column does not make much sense. Typically, users of uMatrix would have the click-to-play setting for plug-ins enabled in their browser -- this has always been the recommended settings. Hence this means that if one allow media, this won't necessarily allow plugins, these will still be click-to-play. Plugins are slowly disappearing, and having a column strictly dedicated to plugins is wasteful, thus I decided to merge media and plugins.
I like this idea for the long-term, but I'm not sure I'm ready to have HTML5 media moved from "image" to "plugin" yet.

Currently I use µMatrix 0.9.9b4. I make heavy use of µMatrix as a second layer of protection, in order to do something like this - viewtopic.php?f=10&t=19333. And that works out well for plugins.

But it would be difficult for me to have that level of protection against HTML5 media (audio/video).

Since I don't block images as heavily in µMatrix, having HTML5 media fall under the image column worked out well for me.

I already enable SeaMonkey's click-to-play for plugins. But while that blocks plugins, it doesn't control object-subrequests. µMatrix does both.

The other changes in the latest µMatrix beta seem worth a look, but I just have too much going on atm to adjust to the quoted change in the foreseeable future. In order to buy myself more time to re-evaluate my µMatrix rules and find an alternative solution, what would I need to change in the µMatrix code to temporarily put HTML5 media back in the image column?
-
gorhill

Post by gorhill »

barbaz wrote:what would I need to change in the µMatrix code to temporarily put HTML5 media back in the image column?
Map the property "media" to "image" in there:
https://github.com/gorhill/uMatrix/blob ... ic.js#L449
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:55.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/55.0
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

It works, thanks! :D
-
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

Apparently the issue tracker has been taken down - https://github.com/gorhill/uMatrix/pull/647

Is it possible to view the existing issues? The ones I had bookmarked are now returning 404.
-
kukla

uMatrix with NoScript script blocking question

Post by kukla »

I realize that uMatrix is another program entirely, but very difficult to get any kind of information on this specific question. Since they are frequently used together, maybe someone here can help.

I'm using both together. (Note: I may not be using all the terminology correctly, since I've only just started using uMatrix, so hope this isn't too confusing.) The question: for script blocking for general browsing (not a uMatrix site specific locked ruleset) is which takes precedence, NoScript or uMatrix? E.g., with a main domain not allowed, JS disabled by way of NoScript (which is the way I do almost all of my browsing, until it becomes necessary to allow JS or a site won't begin to minimally function), I will always see a green "1" in the script cell in uMatrix for a domain. Does that mean that uMatrix is allowing JS for that site?

I do notice that when I allow a particular site with NS, any number more scripts will load beyond the initial "1" that I see with uMatrix. So is that "1" for scripts, a default to be ignored, or does it mean that uMatrix is allowing JS for the main domain being visited, even though it's not being allowed by NS?

And as a further question, does a site specific uMatrix ruleset (as opposed to a global setting for general browsing) override a site specific setting in NoScript, or vice versa?

As an example, this site, www.santander.co.uk, picked at random. Not allowed in NS. Does this mean that santander.co.uk is being allowed for JS?

Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.11; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/52.0
barbaz

Re: uMatrix with NoScript script blocking question

Post by barbaz »

Not sure if we should merge this to viewtopic.php?f=18&t=20815.

The answer to all your questions is, the addon that takes priority is whichever addon is doing the blocking. They shouldn't override each other.
-
kukla

Post by kukla »

barbaz wrote:Not sure if we should merge this to viewtopic.php?f=18&t=20815.

The answer to all your questions is, the addon that takes priority is whichever addon is doing the blocking. They shouldn't override each other.
Thanks barbaz, will read through the linked thread. Perhaps my question will become clear there (EDIT: read through it and it hasn't), but in the meantime it seems your reply would beg the question, since it isn't obvious to me which addon, NoScript or uMatrix will be doing the script blocking--not at least when nothing is allowed in NS, but when I'm seeing that one script allowed (whatever that script might be) in uMatrix. And that is the heart of my question.

What I first want to know is when I'm doing general browsing, usually though a google search, I want to be sure that JS is not allowed at least not initially, for any of the sites I might look at. What concerns me is that it seems the default in uM might be to allow the main domain itself (that one script) which is something I absolutely don't want.

Not to muddy the waters too much, but it also isn't apparent to me which, NS or uM, covers more script blocking when fullest script blocking is desired, including blocked objects.

Maybe merge with this with that other topic, which I've looked through now, however the latest post there is 11/15, and uM has undergone at least several revisions since then I believe. Perhaps gorhill will reappear, but I'm not holding my breath, since he no longer seems to be all that active in general in replying to user questions. Seems to leave it with the Catch 22 caveat "for advanced users," which seems to mean for already "advanced users" of uM. I saw you struggling somewhat in that thread, along with that other poster, who spent hours dealing with his issue, and I would consider you an "advanced user."
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.11; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/52.0
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

Threads merged.
-
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

kukla wrote: it seems the default in uM might be to allow the main domain itself (that one script) which is something I absolutely don't want.
Does this µMatrix rule help? -

Code: Select all

* 1st-party script block
kukla wrote:Not to muddy the waters too much, but it also isn't apparent to me which, NS or uM, covers more script blocking when fullest script blocking is desired, including blocked objects.
In terms of just script-blocking functionality, they're pretty similar. If you include objects, they're just different:

- NoScript offers finer-grained control over object types. µMatrix lumps audio/video and all plugins into "media"
- µMatrix blocks object-subrequests. In NoScript that would require ABE.
- NoScript can Temp-Allow individual objects.
- µMatrix can create permanent object-whitelist rules based on both request origin and origin of the object. Doing this in NoScript requires ABE and about:config > noscript.allowedMimeRegExp.
- NoScript can block WebGL on whitelisted sites. µMatrix being a network firewall, WebGL blocking is outside its scope.

So it depends on what you want to achieve.
kukla wrote:Maybe merge with this with that other topic, which I've looked through now, however the latest post there is 11/15, and uM has undergone at least several revisions since then I believe.
That's OK, this is a general µMatrix discussion thread, and we don't mind people posting in old threads per se.
-
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

kukla wrote:Thanks barbaz, will read through the linked thread. Perhaps my question will become clear there (EDIT: read through it and it hasn't), but in the meantime it seems your reply would beg the question, since it isn't obvious to me which addon, NoScript or uMatrix will be doing the script blocking--not at least when nothing is allowed in NS, but when I'm seeing that one script allowed (whatever that script might be) in uMatrix. And that is the heart of my question.
Sorry, I wasn't quite clear. If one addon is allowing a site's scripts and the other is blocking them, the latter will "take priority" and the scripts will be blocked.

In your example, NoScript should be blocking the script. µMatrix is only showing its own status, independent of what other addons do or don't do.

If you're curious what that one script is, reload the page with the µMatrix logger open (the square icon in the upper right corner of the µMatrix popup).
-
kukla

Post by kukla »

barbaz wrote:Sorry, I wasn't quite clear. If one addon is allowing a site's scripts and the other is blocking them, the latter will "take priority" and the scripts will be blocked.

In your example, NoScript should be blocking the script. µMatrix is only showing its own status, independent of what other addons do or don't do.

If you're curious what that one script is, reload the page with the µMatrix logger open (the square icon in the upper right corner of the µMatrix popup).
Thanks barbaz, that's a big help. And I was mistaken when I said that this thread ended sometime in '15. Hadn't seen that there were six pages total. And my apologies to gorhill for my somewhat snarky remark that I wasn't holding my breath for anything more from him here. I see that he has remained active in this thread.

As a beginner, will have to figure out how to add

Code: Select all

* 1st-party script block
But will that have the effect of preventing 1st-party scripts from loading globally, even those for those sites I wish to load fully? And besides, if NS is blocking any particular site, and takes priority, seems like adding this rule is unnecessary.
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

kukla wrote:Thanks barbaz, that's a big help.
You're welcome. Image
kukla wrote: will have to figure out how to add
1) µMatrix Dashboard (click the popup's titlebar) > My rules
2) Edit the temporary rules and paste this in as a new line. Click Save.
3) Click "Commit" to make the change permanent.
kukla wrote:But will that have the effect of preventing 1st-party scripts from loading globally, even those for those sites I wish to load fully?
Not where you have site-specific rule overriding it.
-