Odd development on Youtube

Ask for help about NoScript, no registration needed to post
Marc_W

Odd development on Youtube

Post by Marc_W »

Hey, just had a recent development occur on both my current computers. At first I believed it was purely an issue on the older of the two, which is unable to run Windows 10 or more modern browsers, but now it's happening on 10 with the same browser. Prior to a week ago, noscript would block content.googleapis.com on the main home page for Youtube.com, and would also block it on videos along with googleapis.com itself. I use an older Firefox browser due to preferring it to the later versions on 10, and out of necessity on the older machine as it's incompatible with later versions of the browser. What's happened here that this has now changed? If this has been asked elsewhere I apologize, but I didn't see it answered anywhere else when I came to the board.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; WOW64; rv:28.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/28.0
barbaz

Re: Odd development on Youtube

Post by barbaz »

I don't see any googleapis.com even trying to load on any Youtube video pages.

What makes you think this isn't a Youtube change?
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-
Marc_W

Post by Marc_W »

barbaz wrote:I don't see any googleapis.com even trying to load on any Youtube video pages.

What makes you think this isn't a Youtube change?
Because up until yesterday, content.googleapis.com was still popping up as blocked on my windows 10, which as far as I can tell was normal for it and noscript is still blocking www.googleapis.com on the windows ten machine on the videos. It still blocks the www.googleapis.com on my older machine as well, but not content.googleapis.com. Plus, on the older machine I get that weird orange icon on the noscript 's' when I go to youtube on the older machine instead of the usual 'blocked' symbol I used to get for it. Prior to last week it was still blocking content.google.com on my old machine as well, so I thought since it was still happening on my 10 based machine that it was a glitch, but one I did not understand how to fix since I hadn't made any changes to the scripts I allowed in....I dunno, five years or so? And usually if something occurred on Youtube on one browser, it happened on the other at the same time. This saw almost a six or seven day delay between them. On the windows 10 machine I get nothing at all listed as blocked on the home page and it stays that way until I go to a video. And that just started today.
Last edited by barbaz on Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: kill board-generated link
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

Really, I don't see any googleapis.com on Youtube. Are you logged in or something?
Marc_W wrote:Plus, on the older machine I get that weird orange icon on the noscript 's' when I go to youtube on the older machine instead of the usual 'blocked' symbol I used to get for it.
That icon means there are blocked objects. Do you have different NoScript settings on the different machines?

In particular, be sure to look under NoScript Options > Embeddings.
-
Marc_W

Post by Marc_W »

barbaz wrote:Really, I don't see any googleapis.com on Youtube. Are you logged in or something?
Marc_W wrote:Plus, on the older machine I get that weird orange icon on the noscript 's' when I go to youtube on the older machine instead of the usual 'blocked' symbol I used to get for it.
That icon means there are blocked objects. Do you have different NoScript settings on the different machines?

I don't think so. I've never touched the settings under options at all. I didn't wanna take a chance on screwing it up so I left all the settings as default in the options. Anytime I want to allow a site to run a script, I scroll over the 's' icon and tell it what to allow on a temporary basis. I can get some screenshots from the older machine to show you later tomorrow. I'm usually only on one machine at a time, so I'll grab the screenshots and post them all up tomorrow. Maybe it will help.
Marc_W

Post by Marc_W »

Ok, here we go. I have no idea if I'm posting the image links properly. If not, I will repost them or edit this thing with direct url links. Now prior to Feburary 28, what I tended to see when I went to youtube was this on the home page when I scrolled the mouse over the Noscript icon:

You can clearly see the listing for content.googleapis.com shown as blocked since the options are to either temporarily or completely allow the item on the homepage. On videos there we typically this:

In addition to content.googleapis.com being blocked, www.googleapis.com itself is a blocked item.

On the next image you can see that if you wish, you can mark these items as untrusted.

And on the fourth you have yet another listing showing that translate.googleapis.com is also blocked.

As I mentioned before, I have two computers. One is a modern laptop running Windows 10 and that's where these first four screenshots were taken, as I was trying to figure out if I had somehow accidentally set something on allow on the older machine and was trying to figure out what. Up until March 1, the things shown in these screenshots were still occurring naturally on 10 and as I have never changed any settings in the options tab, I can only assume this was standard for Noscript when on Youtube on any version of the browser. My older machine, which runs XP and has the same browser due to being incapable of running 10 or later browsers, was seeing much the same stuff up until late last week, and again I can only assume this was normal. At which point I would see this on the Youtube's home page:

I have no idea what that odd orange item is on the noscript icon. But it replaced the typical 'blocked items' icon. This also extends to appearing on videos;

All googleapis content aside from translate.googleapis.com appears to be gone from noscript on Youtube as you can see in this frame;

By comparison, I still get the normal 'items blocked' symbol on other sites, such as fanfiction.net;

You'll also notice that translate.googleapis.com remains as an item blocked by noscript even on fanfiction.net;

The images I just linked with the silver coloration to taskbar and title bars is currently still the case on my windows XP machine.

Curiously, ajax.googleapis.com is an object which can apparently be forbidden on the windows 10 machine on this site. I have no clue as to why as it does not appear to be the case on the XP machine.;

As for Youtube, as of March 1, this is what I see when I go to the Youtube main page on my Windows 10 machine;

I have no idea why.

On videos however, I see this;

So this is about all I can offer right now for screenshots. I was hoping someone had some clue what was going on. One thing I've learned is that if it's happening on one machine, whether it be youtube or any other site I go to, it typically happens the same way on the other machine. In this case there was more than a four day difference between the two machines despite running the same browser. Hence why I'm wondering if this is a glitch or if this is something recently changed but not considered a true update by noscript.
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

Well, we know it's not a NoScript change, because 2.9.0.14, which was released seven months ago, is the last NoScript version compatible with Firefox 28.

In this screenshot - https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_6YAs ... sp=sharing what do you see in the Blocked Objects sub-menu, the one just below Recently blocked sites?

Regarding the Recently blocked sites menu, please see this - viewtopic.php?p=38813#p38813
-
Marc_W

Post by Marc_W »

I'll letcha know tomorrow, I'm on the laptop right now and that appears to be a Desktop issue as I'm not even seeing a blocked objects menu on my laptop version of the browser and I usually am only on one at a time. Is there anything in particular I should be looking for?
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

Marc_W wrote:Is there anything in particular I should be looking for?
For now, if you could please post a screenshot of the Blocked Objects sub-menu, that would be great. :)
-
Marc_W

Post by Marc_W »

Sure. Here's the blocked items list on the old machine:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_6YAs ... sp=sharing

I've found that this repeats itself on gmail on my old machine, while on the modern machine I have, nothing is listed as blocked at all.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_6YAs ... sp=sharing
therube
Ambassador

Post by therube »

Appears that for googleapis.com to show up, you have to show (Appearance) Full Domains.

(Though I'm seeing www. rather then content.)

(Suppose there could be differences with older vs. current NoScript's?
I'm running 5.0rc2 on my current [XP] machine [but not on all].)
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball NoScript FlashGot AdblockPlus
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:49.0) Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.46
Marc_W

Post by Marc_W »

therube wrote:Appears that for googleapis.com to show up, you have to show (Appearance) Full Domains.

(Though I'm seeing www. rather then content.)

(Suppose there could be differences with older vs. current NoScript's?
I'm running 5.0rc2 on my current [XP] machine [but not on all].)

I'm not sure what that means, and it doesn't explain the sudden change since up till the week before last, none of this was an issue. And what's 5.0rc2?
Marc_W

Post by Marc_W »

barbaz wrote:Really, I don't see any googleapis.com on Youtube. Are you logged in or something?

As far as I know, I do not have any differences in the settings on the two machines. Primarily because I have never touched the settings since I have no idea how to do anything with them, so I left everything at their defaults because I didn't want to do anything to mess the thing up. And no, I was not logged into Youtube at the time I took any of these screenshots on either device.
Tree

Post by Tree »

I am not sure if this is the same issue as being discussed here but since Noscript updated to the latest 5.x version I experience some differences in order to get Youtube videos to load with my settings.

Before 5.x Noscript would block the video playing until I clicked allow on the Noscript overlay for both the audio and video codec (if that is the right word) and then it would play. Now it is very hit or miss to get the Noscript overlay to appear. Some times it immediately loads the Youtube error text in the middle of the video (which the 2 audio/video Noscript overlay would typically appear over until allowed and then the video would play). Some times it just loads a blank black image where the video is. Some times the Noscript overlay will appear as normal for the audio to click to allow but then move on to the blank black image instead of the overlay blocking the video codec in order to click to allow.

If I refresh enough eventually I can get both the audio and video click to allow overlay to appear and load the video but it used to work without any fuss before 5.x version.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:51.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/51.0