[RESOLVED] NoScript 5 compatibility

General discussion about the NoScript extension for Firefox
barbaz

[RESOLVED] NoScript 5 compatibility

Post by barbaz »

What does NoScript 5.0rc1 use of embedded WebExtension mean for compatibility with SeaMonkey and Pale Moon?

I'm seeing this error in SeaMonkey 2.46 -

Code: Select all

addons.manager	WARN	Exception calling callback: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80520012 (NS_ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND) [nsIXPCComponents_Utils.import]"  nsresult: "0x80520012 (NS_ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND)"  location: "JS frame :: chrome://noscript/content/WebExt.js :: <TOP_LEVEL> :: line 13"  data: no] Stack trace: WebExt.js:13 < safeCall()@resource://gre/modules/AddonManager.jsm:188 < makeSafe/<()@resource://gre/modules/AddonManager.jsm:204 < Handler.prototype.process()@resource://gre/modules/Promise.jsm -> resource://gre/modules/Promise-backend.js:937 < this.PromiseWalker.walkerLoop()@resource://gre/modules/Promise.jsm -> resource://gre/modules/Promise-backend.js:816 < this.PromiseWalker.scheduleWalkerLoop/<()@resource://gre/modules/Promise.jsm -> resource://gre/modules/Promise-backend.js:750
The code causing the error -

Code: Select all

const {
      LegacyExtensionsUtils,
    } = Components.utils.import("resource://gre/modules/LegacyExtensionsUtils.jsm");
And indeed, that file doesn't exist -
File Not Found

The file resource://gre/modules/LegacyExtensionsUtils.jsm cannot be found. Please check the location and try again.
Haven't noticed anything broken (yet?). I'll check Pale Moon later.
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Re: NoScript 5 compatibility

Post by Giorgio Maone »

So far it should not break anything, and I'll try to keep it this way at least for another stable release.
NoScript 10 (next major version) will be a pure WebExtension, so 5.0.x will be likely the last backward compatible NoScript.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:51.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/51.0
barbaz

Re: NoScript 5 compatibility

Post by barbaz »

Thanks for clarifying.

(For Pale Moon users: a quick check would indicate NoScript 5.0rc1 still works with Pale Moon 27.0.3.)
-
yes_noscript

Re: [RESOLVED] NoScript 5 compatibility

Post by yes_noscript »

Cant understand why NoScript go the WebExtension way but its your addon.
I only can hope the 5.* still get support after the switch to webextension only.

Will test the v5 in Pale Moon. Thanks barbaz for the info!
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:3.0) Goanna/20161214 PaleMoon/27.0.3
Thrawn
Master Bug Buster

Post by Thrawn »

yes_noscript wrote:Cant understand why NoScript go the WebExtension way
Er...because Mozilla is dumping everything else? Because, in a few versions' time, XUL-based extensions will no longer be usable?
I only can hope the 5.* still get support after the switch to webextension only.
Indeed, ultimately the WebExtension version of NoScript will be the only supported version.
Will test the v5 in Pale Moon.
It won't work. Pale Moon doesn't do WebExtensions.
======
Thrawn
------------
Religion is not the opium of the masses. Daily life is the opium of the masses.

True religion, which dares to acknowledge death and challenge the way we live, is an attempt to wake up.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:45.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/45.0
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

Thrawn wrote:Pale Moon doesn't do WebExtensions.
Neither does SeaMonkey.

I did actually test it before writing this -
barbaz wrote:(For Pale Moon users: a quick check would indicate NoScript 5.0rc1 still works with Pale Moon 27.0.3.)
-
yes_noscript

Post by yes_noscript »

Thrawn wrote:Er...because Mozilla is dumping everything else? Because, in a few versions' time, XUL-based extensions will no longer be usable?
I know, but why make the work instead of just ignore this dump, next mozilla way?
It wouldn't wonder me if they combine the chrome store with the less webExtension addons and remove the whole mozilla store. So i hope almost all addons devs dont do the step to webExtension and mozilla *maybe* see that this way is wrong.
Thrawn wrote:It won't work. Pale Moon doesn't do WebExtensions.
Right and it will never be.
Incompabible addons can now build more compabible with the https://github.com/JustOff/moon-tester-tool/ but its new and not a warranty for success.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:3.0) Goanna/20161214 PaleMoon/27.0.3
Thrawn
Master Bug Buster

Post by Thrawn »

yes_noscript wrote:but why make the work instead of just ignore this dump, next mozilla way?
i hope almost all addons devs dont do the step to webExtension and mozilla *maybe* see that this way is wrong.
There's nothing wrong with activism, but you shouldn't be surprised if Giorgio sees things differently. He has millions of people using NoScript, and multiple associated income streams (donations, advertising, plus publicity for the business he owns). Plus, lots of people are relying on NoScript to keep them safe; if he drops it, they become unsafe.

And honestly, I personally think that you should hope for him to stay aboard at Mozilla, because he has more-than-average power to actually make WebExtensions better. As far as I know, the addition of WebExtensions is a good thing. It's the removal of XUL that concerns people. If Firefox were going to support both technologies, I doubt there would be any significant backlash.
======
Thrawn
------------
Religion is not the opium of the masses. Daily life is the opium of the masses.

True religion, which dares to acknowledge death and challenge the way we live, is an attempt to wake up.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:45.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/45.0
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

yes_noscript, Giorgio is and has been one of the WebExtensions devs. Does this future of NoScript really come as a surprise to you?
-
yes_noscript

Post by yes_noscript »

I didnt know he is a in the WebExtension team. Yes it make sense then.
johnscript

Post by johnscript »

Thrawn wrote: (...)
And honestly, I personally think that you should hope for him to stay aboard at Mozilla, because he has more-than-average power to actually make WebExtensions better.
Right, that's really a good thing that he is in such position - if anything, knowing already that he has a lot on his hands now, it wouldn't hurt if he could also (eventually) hammer a dose of common sense into some other developer's heads, which stubbornly refuse to come up with some complementary API capable of salvaging the addons which are otherwise going to be axed by the WebExtensions API itself.

Thrawn wrote:As far as I know, the addition of WebExtensions is a good thing. It's the removal of XUL that concerns people. If Firefox were going to support both technologies, I doubt there would be any significant backlash.
Right again (see above) .
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:51.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/51.0
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

This whole WebExtensions discussion is off-topic for this thread. Can we get back on topic please.

Thanks.
-