Clickjacking Message When Using Evernote Web Clipper

Ask for help about NoScript, no registration needed to post
BoiledFrog

Clickjacking Message When Using Evernote Web Clipper

Post by BoiledFrog »

I have the Evernote Clipper extension installed and I am trying to clip http://www.cbc.ca/news/investigates/rcm ... -1.3850018. I get a clickjacking message. I tried adding an XSS exception for

Code: Select all

^https://www\.evernote\.com/clip\.action
and

^https://www\.evernote\.com/clip\.action.*
Neither worked. I am running NoScript 2.9.0.14. This is the message from the console:

[NoScript ClearClick] Swallowed event mousedown on H2/-1 at moz-extension://5b5dcd5f-ddb5-0443-8ed1-9e309cb9f092/content/global_tools/global_tools.html
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.11; rv:49.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/49.0
barbaz

Re: Clickjacking Message When Using Evernote Web Clipper

Post by barbaz »

First off, ClearClick is not XSS filter. ClearClick exceptions go in about:config > noscript.clearClick.exceptions

Next is, these exceptions are not necessarily regexes. They follow ABE site syntax. See ABE Rules .pdf page 5 (ignore the special all-caps tokens).

Now, I don't remember offhand which way this goes. But the first exception I'd try is just

moz-extension:
Please add that on the end, separated by a single whitespace, and let us know if it works.
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Post by Giorgio Maone »

Also, please use the "Report" button on the Clickjacking Warning dialog, and tell me the report ID you get.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:50.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/50.0
RBW08

Post by RBW08 »

I have the same problem - and I found no working way to add the reported string to about:config > noscript.clearClick.exceptions.

The string does not resemble a normal website, it looks like

moz-extension://..hash../content/global_tools/global_tools.html
There is no website after the // - just a hash consisting of lower-case letters, numbers and "-".

I tried some strings, but none worked, e.g. moz-extension://*

Report-Id: 650476
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:50.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/50.0
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

Does it work in noscript.clearClick.subexceptions instead?
(That's not so safe. It is only a test.)
-
RBW08

Post by RBW08 »

Yes I think that worked - at least with the one site, which always triggered the clearClick warning. I will have to test it more.

For the record: I added moz-extension://* to noscript.clearClick.subexceptions in about:config

Thanks for the help.
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

You're welcome. Image

Once you are sure it works, you'll need to make that exception safer. Try changing it to this -

moz-extension://5b5dcd5f-ddb5-0443-8ed1-9e309cb9f092/*
or maybe even

moz-extension://5b5dcd5f-ddb5-0443-8ed1-9e309cb9f092/content/global_tools/global_tools.html
That "hash" is a GUID identifying the extension and should be included if possible. This will at least retain clickjacking protection if other extensions' pages get framed.
-
mikolajek

Post by mikolajek »

moz-extension:// is already on the whitelist, so you can't add more detailed expression into the whitelist. Still, it doesn't do the job and kills Web Clipper extension.

What helped me was unticking "Other plugins" in the NoScript's list of blocked items. Can't say it's a safe solution, but does the job...
Thrawn
Master Bug Buster

Post by Thrawn »

That may be helpful, thankyou.

If you're comfortable using about:config, then you could add a permanent exception to noscript.allowedMimeRegExp. I'm not certain what syntax would be used for an extension, though...
======
Thrawn
------------
Religion is not the opium of the masses. Daily life is the opium of the masses.

True religion, which dares to acknowledge death and challenge the way we live, is an attempt to wake up.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:45.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/45.0
mikolajek

Post by mikolajek »

Has there been any progress with this issue? Same question applies to killing LastPass credentials window...
No new dev builds have been released for a couple of days, nothing to test... ;)
Thrawn
Master Bug Buster

Post by Thrawn »

mikolajek wrote:moz-extension:// is already on the whitelist, so you can't add more detailed expression into the whitelist.
Actually, in the previous comments, barbaz wasn't talking about a whitelist entry; he was talking about a ClearClick exception. Have you tried that?
======
Thrawn
------------
Religion is not the opium of the masses. Daily life is the opium of the masses.

True religion, which dares to acknowledge death and challenge the way we live, is an attempt to wake up.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:45.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/45.0
mikolajek

Post by mikolajek »

Thrawn wrote:Actually, in the previous comments, barbaz wasn't talking about a whitelist entry; he was talking about a ClearClick exception. Have you tried that?
Oh, indeed, silly me! Yes, adding this expression to the exception list seems to does the job perfectly.
csalsa

Post by csalsa »

[Editing this post as I learn more ...]
I am also having problems with Evernote Web Clipper (V6.10.2.0), NoScript (V2.9.5.2) and Firefox (V51b8). I tried some of the workarounds in this post and then tried clipping this forum web page and got a ClearClick Warning dialog to which I raised report #674494.

In the same ClearClick Warning dialog, it has a link for the moz-extension://b51030d8-9317-403d-b027-3aaeb2b54bfe/content/global_tools/global_tools.html (different GUID to the one listed in an earlier post). I followed the instructions to add this link to the about:config key "noscript.clearClick.exceptions" but this has not worked. Without it, I get no response with I click on the Evernote toolbar button. With it, I get the Evernote dialog (incompletely rendered) and a ClearClick Warning dialog. Then even if I uncheck the "Continue to block" option in the ClearClick Warning dialog, Evernote Web Clipper will not work.

At the same time, I have unchecked "Forbid other plugins" in the NoScript Options > Embeddings tab.

As I have had this problem for a time, I had first Reset Firefox removing all Addons, clearing settings but keeping history and bookmarks. I first installed the Evernote Addon and then installed others until it stopped working. NoScript is definitely the problem.

Any other workarounds?
Will NoScript be updated to be compatible with Evernote Web Clipper?
Last edited by csalsa on Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:51.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/51.0
mikolajek

Post by mikolajek »

We're not apparently allowed to browse the betas folder, but Google suggest there's an early build of NS 3 available here: https://secure.informaction.com/downloa ... -3.0a9.xpi. Anyone has tried it?
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

mikolajek wrote:We're not apparently allowed to browse the betas folder, but Google suggest there's an early build of NS 3 available here: [...] Anyone has tried it?
NoScript 3.x is only for mobile atm.

@csalsa Did you try adding to noscript.clearClick.subexceptions?
-